• Rental Property Investor
  • Santa Barbara, CA
Votes |
Scottsdale STR emegency contact

Jeff Minc
  • Santa Barbara, CA
Posted May 18 2022, 15:58

Hi all, I'm doing research into purchasing a short-term rental in Scottsdale and came across the city regulation requiring the name and contact information of a person designated as an emergency contact who can be on site within an hour of a complaint. I live in CA and would like to manage this property myself from out of state. Is there an easy work around besides having to pay 20-25% of gross revenue to a property management company?  I'm just curious to hear how any out of state investors who self manage have handled this requirement. Thanks.

User Stats

Votes
Lauren Kormylo
  • Phoenix, AZ
Votes |
  • Phoenix, AZ
Replied May 18 2022, 17:46

You could ask your cleaner to be the contact. Pay them a fee for each time they need to respond to the city. It shouldn’t be often. 

User Stats

Votes
Jeff Minc
  • Santa Barbara, CA
Votes |
  • Santa Barbara, CA
Replied May 18 2022, 18:14
Yeah great idea, I was thinking the cleaner, maintenance person, etc. Just need to find someone willing to respond at 2am to complaint I guess.
BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Chris I.
  • Gilbert, AZ
Votes |
  • Gilbert, AZ
Replied May 19 2022, 10:22

I feel like it would be pretty hard to find a freelance cleaner willing to be "on call" 24/7 unless you're going to offer them like $500+ an occurrence OR they're a full-time employee.

But dunno maybe people are up for that, but I definitely wouldn't be.

Also what happens if they get the call and don't feel like going this time cuz <insert some excuse>

User Stats

Votes
Bill Brandt#3 1031 Exchanges Contributor
  • Investor
  • Las Vegas, NV
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Las Vegas, NV
Replied May 19 2022, 10:38

I don’t know what the penalty is for not having one but I would expect to be paying it if you use a worker. I have a hard time seeing that worker leaving a family party, a concert, their real job, or an out of state vacation to help you. MAYBE for $500, depending on what you’re interrupting.

I don’t know if you’d have any luck with your local realtor. Maybe a stay at home neighbor or TWO that doesn’t hate that you’re running a hotel next door? (Again, during the day it would be less inconvenient for them to help you, but 2am? Ouch.)

User Stats

Votes
Jeff Minc
  • Santa Barbara, CA
Votes |
  • Santa Barbara, CA
Replied May 19 2022, 11:07
Yeah I was thinking a 1x $500 fee per occurrence, or just pay the fine if they don't want to show up at 2am. I'm starting my search in Northern Scottsdale and shooting for a more high-end luxury family vacation home rental vs the South Scottsdale/Old-town "party house". So I expect there to be very few occurrences, if any. I'm just trying to play with some options for the actual emergency contact person. Does anyone have good Scottsdale broker/agent recommendation who is familiar with STR's? Please feel free to reach out if you do. Thanks.