• Phoenix, AZ
Votes |
First STR or Private Money Lender?

Mike Gorius
  • Investor
  • Phoenix, AZ
Posted May 18 2022, 21:15

Hi Everyone,

My parents tried the STR thing out for almost a year and decided it was not for them. They bought a beach home with cash a while ago but have decided to take their money and run, seeing as it has already appreciated more than expected. I was sad to hear this as it could be a real cash cow in the warmer months, but it's their call in the end.

On to my question. I think I know the answer to this, but I would love to hear some more experienced investors' thoughts and reasoning. Which below option would you choose?

Option A: They have agreed to sell me the property for market value. This STR would bring in $20K+ profit annually based on the numbers.

Option B: They bought the property cash and have agreed to be a private money lender for future deals if the guaranteed return is worth their time.

Should I purchase an STR with solid cash flow and appreciation potential in a beach town or use their cash to fund multiple deals a year? Some of you may ask me, "will these multiple deals equate to $20K+ profit annually?" My answer is, no, not based on rents alone if I do buy and hold. It would eventually turn into a yes if appreciation continues and I sell these properties for a solid profit in 3-5 years.

Thanks for your time,

User Stats

Votes
John Underwood
Pro Member
#1 Short-Term & Vacation Rental Discussions Contributor
  • Investor
  • Greer, SC
Votes |
Pro Member
#1 Short-Term & Vacation Rental Discussions Contributor
  • Investor
  • Greer, SC
Replied May 19 2022, 05:08

Start with the beach house that your parents already own and are willing to owner finance for you. Show them how much money you can make from it. Then go do other deals with their financing.

User Stats

Votes
Bruce Woodruff
Pro Member
#3 All Forums Contributor
  • Contractor/Investor/Consultant
  • West Valley Phoenix
Votes |
Pro Member
#3 All Forums Contributor
  • Contractor/Investor/Consultant
  • West Valley Phoenix
Replied May 19 2022, 06:30

Yes to John^^^. And it also depends a little bit on what you wat to do. Running an STR is way different than having a few LTRs. Big difference....

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes