Short-Term & Vacation Rental Discussions

User Stats

Votes
Rita Temple
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Citrus Heights, CA
Votes |
Short Term Rental & licensing in restricted cities.

Rita Temple
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Citrus Heights, CA
Posted May 26 2022, 16:21

I've been researching lately in investing in for short term rental.  How are people able to do this in larger cites that have restrictions such as only being able to rent out for 90 days? Are they buying with a commercial loan with and setting up like a business? When looking on Airbnb  in my local city I can clearly see that people are renting out all year long for longer than that.  

User Stats

Votes
Bruce Woodruff
Pro Member
#3 All Forums Contributor
  • Contractor/Investor/Consultant
  • West Valley Phoenix
Votes |
Pro Member
  • West Valley Phoenix
Replied May 26 2022, 16:57

If the jurisdiction prohibits it, and it's still being done, then these folks are cheating around the rules. This topic has come up many times on here. Now they may get caught or they may not, but I suspect it's only a matter of time until something bad happens to them.

Far better to just find a city where STRs are welcome and not restricted and do your business there....no point in bashing your head against the wall all the time, or worse yet, have your business shut down. Governments are not very smart or efficient, but even they will eventually catch on, or a neighbor will turn you in.

There are plenty of places around the country where you can operate your STR legally.......

User Stats

Votes
Rita Temple
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Citrus Heights, CA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Citrus Heights, CA
Replied May 26 2022, 17:26

Thanks Bruce!  That was what I thought too.   I was just wondering if there was a legal way that I did not know of to be able to do it.  

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
John Underwood
Pro Member
#1 Short-Term & Vacation Rental Discussions Contributor
  • Investor
  • Greer, SC
Votes |
Pro Member
#1 Short-Term & Vacation Rental Discussions Contributor
  • Investor
  • Greer, SC
Replied May 26 2022, 18:00

Better to buy a STR in an area where they are welcome instead of a place with a lot of rules.

User Stats

Votes
Bruce Woodruff
Pro Member
  • West Valley Phoenix
Votes |
Pro Member
  • West Valley Phoenix
Replied May 27 2022, 07:31
Quote from @Rita Temple:

Thanks Bruce!  That was what I thought too.   I was just wondering if there was a legal way that I did not know of to be able to do it.  

No there absolutely is not. And if you find a city that is ok with STRs but requires an easy permit, just go and get it. If they ever get Anti-STR, then you will most likely be grandfather in.