Votes
Rose I.
  • Dallas, TX
Votes |
LLC Formation for Rental Properties

Rose I.
  • Dallas, TX
Posted Jun 5 2022, 19:20

This may apply to both short and long-term rentals...but you tell me because I am unclear.

My husband and I are going to buy our first single-family home or townhome and turn it into a short-term Airbnb rental.

We plan to form an LLC as the holding company for all rental properties we will own.

Question 1: Is it necessary to file the LLC separately for tax purposes or can we still include it on the Schedule E form in our joint tax return?

Question 2: My husband will be the investor/owner and I will be the active property manager for the short-term rental (and any long-term rentals in our future). Is it necessary to show that he, as the owner, is paying me, as the property manager, a management fee/salary expense on the Schedule E form? And if so, do I need to fill out a 1099 contractor form or can he simply send it to me and I show that as my income on the joint tax return?

Appreciate any and all answers! :)

Rose

User Stats

Votes
Michael Porche
  • Real Estate Coach
  • Boise, ID
Votes |
  • Real Estate Coach
  • Boise, ID
Replied Jun 14 2022, 19:01

@Rose I. So that is a loaded question and you definitely have options. We operate our rentals the way you are hoping to build them out. I'd recommend talking to a specific CPA real estate investor who does stuff like this as for your guidance. I have a connection if you'd like. I say this because every situation is different and needs more specific answers to get a concise solution

• Real Estate Agent Idaho (#SP51160)

RY Capital Logo

User Stats

Votes
Basit Siddiqi
Pro Member
#3 Tax, SDIRAs & Cost Segregation Contributor
  • Accountant
  • New York, NY
Votes |
Pro Member
#3 Tax, SDIRAs & Cost Segregation Contributor
  • Accountant
  • New York, NY
Replied Jun 30 2022, 16:47

an LLC with more than one owner normally requires the filing of a partnership return.

There is an exception if certain steps are followed for Husband/Wife LLC's formed in community property states.

BiggerPockets logo
Find, Vet and Invest in Syndications
|
BiggerPockets
PassivePockets will help you find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
Garrett Brown
  • Real Estate Agent
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
Replied Jun 30 2022, 20:44

I have a really CPA near Dallas if you need one. I am doing something very similar right now and she is walking me through all steps needed. PM if so!