Votes
Tanisha E.
  • Springfield Gardens, NY
Votes |
STR property manager qualifications

Tanisha E.
Posted Jun 7 2022, 08:10

Morning! When searching for a property manager what are some of the green flags you look for during the interview process that signals this person(s) would be a great property manager. Alternately, what are red flags that tells you to pass on them. Lastly once you have selected your PM, I'm curious to know how you engage with them. How do you have them provide you updates and keep you informed of everything happening at your property. For example, status updates, regular check-ins etc? Thanks!! FYI The property is in Fort Lauderdale.

User Stats

Votes
Jason Regan
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Leominster Ma
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Leominster Ma
Replied Jun 8 2022, 08:54

Im following because I would love to hear too.  I self manage and plan to always, but am always intersted in learning.  Tanisha.  Why are you looking for a property manager?

User Stats

Votes
Ben Kappel
  • Realtor
  • North Dakota
Votes |
  • Realtor
  • North Dakota
Replied Jun 8 2022, 09:07

I like to check their Facebook reviews, and also look through posts of people looking for rentals and see in the comments what property manager is getting tagged the most.  

Make sure they have good relations with contractors.  If they do enough business with plumbers, exterminators, and things like that they usually get a better price, and they will pass that savings on to you.  

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Austin Drew
  • Rental Property Investor
  • West Palm Beach, FL
Votes |
  • West Palm Beach, FL
Replied Jun 9 2022, 09:25

HI @Tanisha E. when looking for a PM you want to see their listings that they currently manage and their reviews this is what will make or break your listing. The proof is in the details, they can tell you whatever you want to hear but you want to make sure they are actually delivering for there other clients. I manage down here in south florida feel free to send me a PM to discuss

User Stats

Votes
Lien Vuong
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Boston, MA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Boston, MA
Replied Jun 9 2022, 10:12

Green flags: they own/invest in property also, good references, their ratings, have systems in place

Red flags: no systems at all, when they dont interview you (a good business is a partnership so they should screen you as much as you're screening them), pressure selling

The Elle Group Logo

User Stats

Votes
Ruth Blue
  • Realtor
  • Pigeon Forge, TN
Votes |
  • Realtor
  • Pigeon Forge, TN
Replied Jun 9 2022, 18:23

@Tanisha E.

I am PM and owner of STR as well. Red flags are managers who do not own rentals in the market the are managing. I want them to have skin in the game and be able to see both sides. Renter and owners.

We communicate with owners and guests by texts, emails, phone calls.

It always surprises me how many RE brokers agents, managers and advisors do not actually own rentals yet claim to know the market.

User Stats

Votes
Jason Regan
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Leominster Ma
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Leominster Ma
Replied Jun 10 2022, 09:26

I am pivoting a little but the same thing goes for Real Estate Agents when im looking for STR properties. I only work with you f you actually own in the area your selling. You need to believe and understand the product and market you are in!

User Stats

Votes
Joshua Messinger
  • Property Manager
  • Poconos, PA
Votes |
  • Property Manager
  • Poconos, PA
Replied Jun 10 2022, 11:10

Hey @Tanisha E.

Honesty and transparency throughout the entire process. Without either of those the PM, you'll be working with could turn your property into a horror scene. 

As for a red flag, I would be concerned if the company you are looking at uses out-of-house companies for their operations. If everything is outsourced they won't truly know what's going on in the properties and you will have to have an eye on it constantly. 

OTHERWISE... If this is your first STR I would recommend self-managing and getting to know all of the operations that go into having your own STR. Then you will be able to really tell if a company is BSing you or not on what they offer.

If you have any other questions please don't hesitate to reach out! 

Cheers,

Josh

Keller Williams Real Estate Logo

User Stats

Votes
Valerie Budd
  • Property Manager
  • Branson Missouri
Votes |
  • Property Manager
  • Branson Missouri
Replied Jun 10 2022, 15:42

I am a property manager since 2005 in the Branson market.  Make sure your property manager has a trust account and has an accountant watching over transactions.  

User Stats

Votes
Garrett Kroll
  • Victor, ID
Votes |
  • Victor, ID
Replied Jun 10 2022, 18:48

I think there’s a lot of criteria you could consider, but at the end of the day it’s about results. Look at a PM’s listings - are the reviews great (not good)? Is the occupancy at or above average? Are both achieved with a competitive nightly rate?

A secondary piece of criteria might be the PM’s client base - do they work primarily with investors or second home owners? Those groups have very different needs and I’d be cautious about a company that claims they cater to both groups really well. 

User Stats

Votes
Replied Jun 14 2022, 11:34

Hi Tanisha. 

Communication, communication and more communication! Make sure you get a clear understanding of the commitments they will make to keep you well informed at all times. Happy to chat anytime. 

User Stats

Votes
Tanisha E.
Votes |
Replied Jun 20 2022, 11:43

Thank you all for your insight and responses! This is super helpful.