Skip to content
Short-Term & Vacation Rental Discussions

User Stats

Votes
Britt Smith
Votes |
What cautions you when buying an existing STR?

Britt Smith
Posted Jun 8 2022, 04:28

I've seen some STR for sale and am wondering, if it is cash-flowing why would someone want to sell it?

User Stats

Votes
Luke Carl#3 Short-Term & Vacation Rental Discussions Contributor
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Tennessee Florida
Votes |
Luke Carl#3 Short-Term & Vacation Rental Discussions Contributor
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Tennessee Florida
Replied Jun 8 2022, 04:35

1031. Death in family. Sick of guests. Have 100 million cash and don’t even think about this home anymore. 1031. 

Why they are selling does not matter one bit. 

User Stats

Votes
Sastry Srini
  • Canton, MI
Votes |
  • Canton, MI
Replied Jun 8 2022, 04:35

Someone may divest property for many reasons depending on personal situations.. may be moving out of country, does not want to manage anymore or want to cash out.  

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Karen Chenaille
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Sevierville, TN
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Sevierville, TN
Replied Jun 8 2022, 18:21

They may have a significant amount of equity they are looking to cash in on. It may take them years to get the same amount of cash they can pull out in one sale.  Take a hard luck at their revenue for the last three years and what they have on the books this year.  If those numbers meet your investment goals, you should buy it.  I know, seems obvious, but I just don't want to see you get too wrapped around the axle about why they are selling it and miss a great investment opportunity :-)

Smokies STR Sherpa  Logo