• Chicago, IL
Votes |
Looking for Chicago AirBNB Host

Kris Ostrander
  • New to Real Estate
  • Chicago, IL
Posted Jun 12 2022, 13:01

Hello, 

I am searching for an experienced Chicago AirBNB host to connect with and understand the Chicago restrictions against STR. To my understanding, most condos are unable to be STRs due to HOA.. However, I constantly see condos being advertised on AirBNB. Is this something that the owner is grandfathered into? I appreciate any feedback!

Thanks, 

Kris

User Stats

Votes
Jonathan Klemm
Pro Member
  • Contractor
  • Chicago, IL
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Contractor
  • Chicago, IL
ModeratorReplied Jun 15 2022, 07:59

Hey @Kris Ostrander - I've been doing airbnb in Chicago for about the last 4 years, but not at any real scale.  I did end up getting my operator's license but haven't really used it yet.

One of our most recent condo purchases advertised airbnb and then we got denied by the city, so switched to a mid-term rental which has actually worked out well.

I am happy to connect and share what I have learned so far but I am by no means an expert.

User Stats

Votes
Steven Caldwell
  • Investor
  • Chicago, IL
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Chicago, IL
Replied Jun 19 2022, 23:40
Quote from @Jonathan Klemm:

Hey @Kris Ostrander - I've been doing airbnb in Chicago for about the last 4 years, but not at any real scale.  I did end up getting my operator's license but haven't really used it yet.

One of our most recent condo purchases advertised airbnb and then we got denied by the city, so switched to a mid-term rental which has actually worked out well.

I am happy to connect and share what I have learned so far but I am by no means an expert.

WHY DID YOU GET DENIED MAY I ASK?

BiggerPockets logo
Find, Vet and Invest in Syndications
|
BiggerPockets
PassivePockets will help you find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
Replied Jun 21 2022, 07:59
Quote from @Kris Ostrander:

Hello, 

I am searching for an experienced Chicago AirBNB host to connect with and understand the Chicago restrictions against STR. To my understanding, most condos are unable to be STRs due to HOA.. However, I constantly see condos being advertised on AirBNB. Is this something that the owner is grandfathered into? I appreciate any feedback!

Thanks, 

Kris

check out "straight up chicago investor" podcast there's an episode with a lawyer about all Chicago laws on airbnb, can't remember the episode number but if you look through you'll find it.

User Stats

Votes
Jonathan Klemm
Pro Member
  • Contractor
  • Chicago, IL
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Contractor
  • Chicago, IL
ModeratorReplied Jun 23 2022, 07:13

@Steven Caldwell - It was strange, but I guess the area was in a "planned development area" in Chicago just south of the south loop and north of Bronzeville.  Right near McCormick place.

It still worked out great though.

User Stats

Votes
Replied Jul 5 2022, 22:27
Quote from @Jonathan Klemm:

Hi  @Jonathan Klemm - How long did it take for the city to get back with you on your registration/application for STR?

User Stats

Votes
Jonathan Klemm
Pro Member
  • Contractor
  • Chicago, IL
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Contractor
  • Chicago, IL
ModeratorReplied Jul 8 2022, 08:17

@Katrina Dela Victoria - The city actually responds surprisingly quickly, I think you can expect a response between 7-10 business days.