Short-Term & Vacation Rental Discussions

User Stats

Votes
Josh Myrick
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Fairview Nc
Votes |
STR Photographer and Decorator needed :)

Josh Myrick
  • Fairview Nc
Posted Jun 14 2022, 09:42

Hello all. I am trying to find a recommendation for a STR photographer and a decorator. They can be two different people. I have found tons of photographers but mostly real estate photographers. They have good work but not the detail and staging that is so popular for STR photos. Can anyone recommend someone they have worked with in the past?

I am also looking for a decorator. I am in closing on a short term rental and have picked out the main furniture but really struggling on the final touches, decorations, and such. 

I really appreciate any recommendations. And wish you all the best. 

Asheville NC, North Carolina

User Stats

Votes
Dan Maciejewski
  • Realtor
  • PInellas County Largo, FL
Votes |
  • Realtor
  • PInellas County Largo, FL
Replied Jun 14 2022, 10:15

If you work with a Realtor, they may/should have connections.  You should be able to use a stager/interior decorator.  If all you need is the final touches and staging, they shouldn't be too expensive.  You can get that done in one consult, usually.  

The photographer you want is a real estate photographer.  The vision and staging will come from you, your agent and the decorator.  In whatever percentages work for you!

Your Realtor or A Realtor should be able to get you in touch with these professionals.  You may have better luck asking a luxury Realtor, or at least one that's comfortable in the space.  We tend to need actual staging from interior designers and a "vision" more often then the median priced home.  Ask around and definitely ask to see their work to see if it fits your vision.  

Unfortunately, I don't have anyone for you, but good luck on your STR / vacation rental!

User Stats

Votes
Alena Dube
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Charlotte, NC
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Charlotte, NC
Replied Jun 14 2022, 12:50

What is the location of your STR property? I might help with recommendation

User Stats

Votes
Josh Myrick
  • Fairview Nc
Votes |
  • Fairview Nc
Replied Jun 14 2022, 15:38
Quote from @Alena Dube:

What is the location of your STR property? I might help with recommendation

Hahah thank you. Fairview NC. 

User Stats

Votes
Alena Dube
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Charlotte, NC
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Charlotte, NC
Replied Jun 24 2022, 10:25

Hi Josh, do you still looking for str designer to help you to set up your place?

User Stats

Votes
Josh Myrick
  • Fairview Nc
Votes |
  • Fairview Nc
Replied Jun 24 2022, 11:03

My parents decided they wanted to decorate it themselves. But I would love some recommendation or contact info for future use. I told them not to decorate like they want and to use a decorator so hopefully they change their minds. 

User Stats

Votes
Tom Dempsey
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Philadelphia, PA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Philadelphia, PA
Replied Jun 24 2022, 13:39

Hey Josh -

Feel free to reach out to me. I run an interior design company that focuses solely on short term rental design. Happy to help you out here!

User Stats

Votes
Josh Myrick
  • Fairview Nc
Votes |
  • Fairview Nc
Replied Jun 24 2022, 14:03
Quote from @Tom Dempsey:

Hey Josh -

Feel free to reach out to me. I run an interior design company that focuses solely on short term rental design. Happy to help you out here!

Do you have a website and a phone number? I would really appreciate the assistance. We are currently looking for a second property in the gulf of Florida. 

User Stats

Votes
Paul Sandhu
  • Investor
  • The worst town to live in, KS
Votes |
  • Investor
  • The worst town to live in, KS
Replied Jun 24 2022, 14:17
Just decorate it yourself.  It's not rocket science.  I've decorated 23 of my STRs.  They are all like a blend of the Playboy Mansion and a French art museum.

User Stats

Votes
Josh Myrick
  • Fairview Nc
Votes |
  • Fairview Nc
Replied Jun 24 2022, 14:19

To me it is rocket science lol

User Stats

Votes
Jesse Watson
  • Investor
  • Edmonds, WA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Edmonds, WA
Replied Jun 24 2022, 21:40

Google "staging companies" in your area and then start calling them and asking if they work on STRs. Many have begun a side-business of outfitting STRs with furniture and decor (some will do the whole kitchen, outdoor areas, etc) and we did both of our STRs this way.

User Stats

Votes
Jesse Watson
  • Investor
  • Edmonds, WA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Edmonds, WA
Replied Jun 24 2022, 23:21

Oh - and regarding photographers, look for photographers who do "architecture" style photography and specialize in STRs. Standard real estate photographers use a fish-eye lens and take shots from four corners of the room. This is designed to show everything in as few photos as possible, but it distorts the scene and pushes the amenities and decor elements into tiny background elements. Find a photographer who understands that STR photos are different is willing to use some longer lenses and do some detail shots. Most importantly: Do a twilight photoshoot with some landscape lighting and your property will really stand out. In Scottsdale, this gentleman named Ensuel Kola did an INCREDIBLE job with our latest property: https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/6...

Not sure if he travels cross-country, but you can always ask: https://ensuelkola.com/ 

User Stats

Votes
Tom Dempsey
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Philadelphia, PA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Philadelphia, PA
Replied Jun 25 2022, 11:47
Quote from @Josh Myrick:
Quote from @Tom Dempsey:

Hey Josh -

Do you have a website and a phone number? I would really appreciate the assistance. We are currently looking for a second property in the gulf of Florida. 

Website is Labcreatesdesign.com 

Let me know how I can help you out

User Stats

Votes
Kerry Baird
  • Melbourne, FL
Votes |
  • Melbourne, FL
Replied Jun 25 2022, 13:36

@Jesse Watson the link reverted to the Airbnb home page, at least for me.  

User Stats

Votes
Josh Myrick
  • Fairview Nc
Votes |
  • Fairview Nc
Replied Jun 25 2022, 13:38
Quote from @Jesse Watson:

Oh - and regarding photographers, look for photographers who do "architecture" style photography and specialize in STRs. Standard real estate photographers use a fish-eye lens and take shots from four corners of the room. This is designed to show everything in as few photos as possible, but it distorts the scene and pushes the amenities and decor elements into tiny background elements. Find a photographer who understands that STR photos are different is willing to use some longer lenses and do some detail shots. Most importantly: Do a twilight photoshoot with some landscape lighting and your property will really stand out. In Scottsdale, this gentleman named Ensuel Kola did an INCREDIBLE job with our latest property: https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/6...

Not sure if he travels cross-country, but you can always ask: https://ensuelkola.com/ 

Thank you for all the detail. Especially the websites. 

User Stats

Votes
Jesse Watson
  • Investor
  • Edmonds, WA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Edmonds, WA
Replied Jun 25 2022, 14:46
Quote from @Kerry Baird:

@Jesse Watson the link reverted to the Airbnb home page, at least for me.  

Ah thank you - sorry, I forgot that I paused the listing while we are trying it out as a 30 day rental. Try this Zillow link https://www.zillow.com/homedet...

User Stats

Votes
Jesse Watson
  • Investor
  • Edmonds, WA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Edmonds, WA
Replied Jun 25 2022, 14:48
Quote from @Josh Myrick:

Thank you for all the detail. Especially the websites. 

No problem. Sorry that the Airbnb link might not have worked. I just added a post with the Zillow link so you can see it https://www.zillow.com/homedet...

Best of luck!

User Stats

Votes
Melanie Johnston
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Scottsdale, AZ
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Scottsdale, AZ
Replied Jun 25 2022, 16:06

@Jesse Watson Your photos are amazing! As an agent (and I'm honored to be your agent!) I've seen thousands of real estate shoots. Ensuel did such a great job that I want to contact him for my upcoming listings. I'll tell him that you sent me!

Real Estate Agent Arizona (#558724000)

User Stats

Votes
Kerry Baird
  • Melbourne, FL
Votes |
  • Melbourne, FL
Replied Jun 25 2022, 16:45
Your place looks fantastic!  I love the multitude of plants you have.  Your furnishings are also all-of-a-piece.  Good job!

User Stats

Votes
Jesse Watson
  • Investor
  • Edmonds, WA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Edmonds, WA
Replied Jun 25 2022, 18:50
Quote from @Melanie Johnston:

@Jesse Watson Your photos are amazing! As an agent (and I'm honored to be your agent!) I've seen thousands of real estate shoots. Ensuel did such a great job that I want to contact him for my upcoming listings. I'll tell him that you sent me!

It helps that you found us such an awesome house! This find was all Melanie!

User Stats

Votes
Alena Dube
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Charlotte, NC
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Charlotte, NC
Replied Jun 25 2022, 19:51
Quote from @Melanie Johnston:

It helps that you found us such an awesome house! This find was all Melanie!

User Stats

Votes
Alena Dube
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Charlotte, NC
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Charlotte, NC
Replied Jun 25 2022, 19:53

Amazing job on the property and outstanding photo shoots. 

User Stats

Votes
Jesse Watson
  • Investor
  • Edmonds, WA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Edmonds, WA
Replied Jun 25 2022, 22:30
Quote from @Alena Dube:

Amazing job on the property and outstanding photo shoots. 

Thanks!  We are very pleased with the result. Shout out to Jamie and Suzanne and Nicole in Scottsdale at stylehousehomestaging.com for their design work!

User Stats

Votes
Jesse Watson
  • Investor
  • Edmonds, WA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Edmonds, WA
Replied Jun 25 2022, 22:33
Quote from @Kerry Baird:
Your place looks fantastic!  I love the multitude of plants you have.  Your furnishings are also all-of-a-piece.  Good job!
Thanks! Credit to stylehousehomestaging.com for their awesome design work! (All the plants are artificial BTW, but amazingly real).