Michael Riba
  • Los Angeles, CA
Votes |
Long term vs Short term rentals

Michael Riba
  • Los Angeles, CA
Posted Jun 14 2022, 10:49

Hi everyone

I'm kinda new to posting here so please bear with me.

I have a 3 BR house in Ventura County, CA (Simi Valley, to be more precise), which I have been successfully renting thru Airbnb. At the moment, I'm restricting stays to a maximum of 29 days due to the legal definition of "Short term vs Long term" in California.

Because I've been getting inquiries, I would like to entertain longer stays, if possible. Some of these inquiries are coming from insurance companies which need to relocate their clients temporarily due to repairs being made to their own homes. 

I absolutely don't want to get into the situation where I need to "evict" a tenant because they've stayed for more than 30 days.

Any advice here would be welcome.

Thanks y'all

Mike

(BTW, I stated the location as Los Angeles county even though the property is in Ventura county because the website would not let me show it as Ventura county.)

User Stats

Votes
Replied Jun 14 2022, 11:20

Are you looking to do LTR over STR because it's less work? I'm currently looking for a home to rent out and the main reason I'm going STR over LTR is because how difficult it is to evict someone especially in NJ. If you are looking to make it more passive why not just hire a property management company? You'll still make more than if you did LTR with little to no effort on your part.

User Stats

Votes
Michael Riba
  • Los Angeles, CA
Votes |
  • Los Angeles, CA
Replied Jun 14 2022, 11:34
Hi Allen

The work part of it is already very manageable. Also, NJ and CA are probably very similar in terns of eviction.

There are, however, situations where someone may need a longer term rental because of damages to their own house and needs to move out while theirs is being repaired. Usually, an insurance company is involved. It would be nice to accommodate some of these requests. I have had two in the last few months.
BiggerPockets logo
Find, Vet and Invest in Syndications
|
BiggerPockets
PassivePockets will help you find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
Chad Quick
Pro Member
Votes |
Pro Member
Replied Jun 14 2022, 12:10

Sounds like a good question for attorney because I would think you are entering into a deal with the insurance company, not the potential tenant. I would prefer it that way for sure. 

User Stats

Votes
Joshua Messinger
  • Property Manager
  • Poconos, PA
Votes |
  • Property Manager
  • Poconos, PA
Replied Jun 14 2022, 12:12

Hey @Michael Riba

If you are considering going the LTR route I would have an extremely strict vetting process. Even if the clients are being referred from any type of company you still want to know what you're getting yourself into.

Otherwise, what is the best-case scenario for you? How do the pros and cons weigh on each side?

If I can help in any other way don't hesitate to reach out! 

Best, 

Josh

Keller Williams Real Estate Logo

User Stats

Votes
Drew Sygit#2 Managing Your Property Contributor
  • Property Manager
  • Royal Oak, MI
Votes |
Drew Sygit#2 Managing Your Property Contributor
  • Property Manager
  • Royal Oak, MI
Replied Jun 14 2022, 12:22

@Michael Riba we've done MANY temp insurance placements and never had a problem with a tenant staying without paying and needing to be evicted.

They all want to move back to their original homes!

Now, in our experience 100% of these leases extend. The insurance companies ALWAYS & DELIBERATELY underestimate the length of stay. 

It's never been an issue because the insurance company pays and they pay 20%+ premiums over standard LTR rents for a given area.

User Stats

Votes
Chad Quick
Pro Member
Votes |
Pro Member
Replied Jun 14 2022, 13:16
Quote from @Drew Sygit:

@Michael Riba we've done MANY temp insurance placements and never had a problem with a tenant staying without paying and needing to be evicted.

They all want to move back to their original homes!

Now, in our experience 100% of these leases extend. The insurance companies ALWAYS & DELIBERATELY underestimate the length of stay. 

It's never been an issue because the insurance company pays and they pay 20%+ premiums over standard LTR rents for a given area.

awesome info 

User Stats

Votes
Replied Jun 14 2022, 17:36

Here in Florida it takes about 30 days to evict.

Most people do a first, last, and security to move in. We do a first and two securities. In the case that you have to evict you essentially have two months of rent in hand.

User Stats

Votes
Replied Jun 14 2022, 18:10

Michael;

Verify with your Lawyer as you're in Ca and I'm in Fl.

Write up consecutive 30 day leases. Separate contracts every 30 days, signed the first of each month.

Contracts could be issued every 30 days via email - signed via DocuSign. Security deposits transfered fom one contract to the next.

Paul Maurer

User Stats

Votes
Michael Riba
  • Los Angeles, CA
Votes |
  • Los Angeles, CA
Replied Jun 14 2022, 20:02
Great idea.

Lots of work.

Need to integrate that with Airbnb.

Sounds like (short) long term leases stacked end to end.

I'm tryin to keep it simple.

User Stats

Votes
Replied Jun 15 2022, 06:34

It is simple. a One time contract with blank names & dates. Make sure you get your lawyer to Ok the legality of it.