Short-Term & Vacation Rental Discussions

User Stats

Votes
Mary Parman
Votes |
I need help trying to rent out our Maui Marriott Timeshare

Mary Parman
Posted Jun 22 2022, 22:22

We own a time share through Marriott on Maui.  We are trying to post our August week for rent on VRBO and are struggling to find if this is even an option.  VRBO requires a permit but I'm unable to figure out what type of permit or how to apply for it...  Maybe I'm looking at this the wrong way.  Has anyone rented out their timeshare and if so what platform did you use?  If VRBO or AirBNB is there a trick to getting it listed on these sites?  I'd love any advice on the topic.

Thank you!

Mary

Honolulu, Hawaii

User Stats

Votes
Dave Stokley
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Cleveland, OH
Votes |
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Cleveland, OH
Replied Jun 23 2022, 03:40

I have never heard of anyone renting their time share on an STR platform, although I'm sure it's been tried (and maybe done?). It seems like an awful lot of work to rent the place for one week.
My understanding is that there are lots of regulations in Hawaii so your best bet is to call the local government and ask them how to get a permit. I wouldn’t be surprised if they won’t give you one for a timeshare. 

User Stats

Votes
Jennifer Connolly
  • West Roxbury, MA
Votes |
  • West Roxbury, MA
Replied Jun 23 2022, 08:45

I've never used them, but RedWeek.com has been around for a long time and that seems to be a go-to for timeshare week rentals. You could also try the TUGBBS forum (timeshare user group discussion forum). It's a very active forum and members can list weekly rentals. You can also get advice there on where else to try posting it. I have seen some on Ebay.

User Stats

Votes
Andrew Olmstead
  • Kapolei, HI
Votes |
  • Kapolei, HI
Replied Jun 26 2022, 14:05

Aloha Dave,

Try:

1) Vacationcandy.com

2) Redweek.com

3) VRBO or Airbnb

All three are active 3rd party rental platforms for timeshare in Hawaii.

May I ask you in turn for Duplex/Triplex rental investing in Cleveland do you have any particular neighborhoods and management companies you can recommend?  Or, better to be avoided? 

User Stats

Votes
Mary Parman
Votes |
Replied Jun 26 2022, 17:22

Thanks everyone for your responses.  This is very helpful!  I've tried VRBO and Airbnb and that's where we've been stuck.  The local government and the website (vrbo, airbnb) are not helpful in this so far for this specific market.  I'll check out Vacationcandy, redweek, and tugbbs as well to see what I can figure out. 

Aloha Dave - I am not familiar with the Cleveland area.  I'm in California.  

Thank you so much everyone!!!

Mary

User Stats

Votes
Shane Kelly
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Cleveland, OH
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Cleveland, OH
Replied Jun 27 2022, 06:37
Quote from @Andrew Olmstead:

Aloha Dave,

Try:

1) Vacationcandy.com

2) Redweek.com

3) VRBO or Airbnb

All three are active 3rd party rental platforms for timeshare in Hawaii.

May I ask you in turn for Duplex/Triplex rental investing in Cleveland do you have any particular neighborhoods and management companies you can recommend?  Or, better to be avoided? 

Hey Andrew, you didn't reply to Dave's message or @ him so he likely did not see the message. Shoot me a PM and I can handle your questions if you'd like. Thanks!