Skip to content
Short-Term & Vacation Rental Discussions

User Stats

Votes

Best Structure for Partnership?

Posted Jun 28 2022, 05:54

Hello all,

What is the fairest way to partner with someone with the following situation? Two friends want to purchase a rental property together. Both have capital to invest, but one person is going to take on 100% of the landlord duties. The other partner will just be a financial investor. Neither of us are sure how to structure the LLC or what this should look like. We want to make sure it's fair because we don't want to hurt a friendship over it, so we really want to have this buttoned up before making a purchase.

Does anybody have any recommendations on a structure that could work for this situation?  

User Stats

Votes
Robin Simon#1 Private Lending & Conventional Mortgage Advice Contributor
  • Lender
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
Robin Simon#1 Private Lending & Conventional Mortgage Advice Contributor
  • Lender
  • Austin, TX
Replied Jun 28 2022, 06:03

I would bake in a management fee and separate management agreement where the landlord partner gets basically a salary or preferred return for the management duties, but with the flexibility to change the arrangement to a new manager if needed w/o messing with the ownership structure.  Go 50/50 or pro rata on ownership percentage and capital contribution

User Stats

Votes
Bruce Woodruff
Pro Member
#4 All Forums Contributor
  • Contractor/Investor/Consultant
  • West Valley Phoenix
Votes |
Pro Member
  • West Valley Phoenix
Replied Jun 28 2022, 06:08

Split profits equally. The manager should invoice the LLC company for his time and any supplies

Host Financial  logo
Host Financial
|
Sponsored
15% Down DSCR Loans 80% Cash Outs Mention BPFORUM500 at Quoting to Wave $500 Processing Fee

User Stats

Votes
Chris Seveney
Pro Member
#2 All Forums Contributor
  • Investor
  • Virginia
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Virginia
Replied Jun 28 2022, 06:40

@Joshua Steven Ferrell

As others have mentioned you want to distinguish between the two.

1. You both invest in a property and ownership and profits should be based on how much each invested, so if each invested equally it’s a 50/50 split

2. Anything above that should have agreed upon rates/terms and billed to the Partnership separately and whatever work that is should not be done through the partnership but through a separate entity.

User Stats

Votes
Chris Levarek
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Syndicator
  • Phoenix, AZ
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Syndicator
  • Phoenix, AZ
Replied Jun 28 2022, 06:42

@Joshua Steven Ferrell The financial investor has it easy. Either bake in the property management as an expense(paid to one of the parties) or be sure the partnership compensates for it with extra ownership. 

Let's put it this way, one side of the party after close gets to be passive. One side of the party will be working their tail off daily forever, until the property sells of course or new management is put in place.

The financial investor has it easy.

That being said, 50/50 could be good if neither side is experienced. Both are learning. Make sure you plan an exit of the deal, what will happen if you disagree and clear accountability. What happens if the A/C unit breaks, who will pay? What happens if revenue is below expectation, and more capital is needed? Write these things in there with an attorney.

User Stats

Votes
Chad McMahan
  • Residential Real Estate Broker
  • Sedona, AZ
Votes |
  • Residential Real Estate Broker
  • Sedona, AZ
Replied Jun 28 2022, 09:23
Quote from @Chris Levarek:

@Joshua Steven Ferrell The financial investor has it easy. Either bake in the property management as an expense(paid to one of the parties) or be sure the partnership compensates for it with extra ownership. 

Let's put it this way, one side of the party after close gets to be passive. One side of the party will be working their tail off daily forever, until the property sells of course or new management is put in place.

The financial investor has it easy.

That being said, 50/50 could be good if neither side is experienced. Both are learning. Make sure you plan an exit of the deal, what will happen if you disagree and clear accountability. What happens if the A/C unit breaks, who will pay? What happens if revenue is below expectation, and more capital is needed? Write these things in there with an attorney.

Chris said it quite well.
To piggy back on that- *IF* you structured it where it's not 50/50, it will eventually lead to resentment.
Also, for management- the question needs to be asked- Whichever of you will manage... will this person do a better job than the best 3rd party money can buy at the same rate?
Realty One Group Mountain Desert Logo

User Stats

Votes
Kyle Smith
  • New to Real Estate
Votes |
  • New to Real Estate
Replied Jun 28 2022, 11:36

Great info here. I'm very interested in this topic as well and would like to start my own partnership organization. I'm looking to add multiple partners and multiple properties to scale up my STR business. Hopefully I'm not sniping this thread, if so please let me know. But to tag on to the original question, should I start a corporation or could I just start with an LLC specifically for the first business deal or property? thanks in advance...

User Stats

Votes
Joshua Messinger
  • Property Manager
  • Poconos, PA
Votes |
  • Property Manager
  • Poconos, PA
Replied Jun 28 2022, 12:24

Hey @Joshua Steven Ferrell

Great advice in this thread! @Robin Simon @Bruce Woodruff and @Chad McMahan hit this one right on! 

Keep things separate and make sure to split things evenly. If you don't this could lead to an end of a partnership and a relationship too. 

All the best,

Josh

@Chad McMahan

Keller Williams Real Estate Logo

User Stats

Votes
Chris Seveney
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Virginia
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Virginia
Replied Jun 28 2022, 12:28

This is more a question for the attorney on how its structured and how taxes would be handled - typically though it is run as a LLC.

User Stats

Votes
Bruce Woodruff
Pro Member
  • West Valley Phoenix
Votes |
Pro Member
  • West Valley Phoenix
Replied Jun 28 2022, 15:11
Quote from @Kyle Smith:

Great info here. I'm very interested in this topic as well and would like to start my own partnership organization. I'm looking to add multiple partners and multiple properties to scale up my STR business. Hopefully I'm not sniping this thread, if so please let me know. But to tag on to the original question, should I start a corporation or could I just start with an LLC specifically for the first business deal or property? thanks in advance...

Check with your local attorney. But generally speaking, LLCs are more geared toward Real Estate, whereas S Corps etc, are better suited for a typical business like construction.

User Stats

Votes
Ryan Moyer
  • Property Manager
  • Orlando Kissimmee, Davenport
Votes |
  • Property Manager
  • Orlando Kissimmee, Davenport
Replied Jun 28 2022, 21:47

I think other people have nailed it already.  Just treat yourself as a 3rd party manager making whatever agreed upon percentage that is taken out as an expense, and split the leftover 50/50.

User Stats

Votes
Sergey A. Petrov
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Seattle, WA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Seattle, WA
Replied Jun 28 2022, 23:28

Agreed with all of the above. I am not an attorney or a tax professional but from what I know do not form a corporation (whether it is a C Corp or an S Corp) for the purpose of holding real estate. A multi member LLC (aka partnership) is the way to go. Do have an attorney draft a partnership / LLC operating agreement. The sole purpose of that entity will be to own and operate the property. To the extent individual partners provide services to the property / entity (management or otherwise) they should be treated as independent third parties providing the same services and getting paid for those services. And through the process of making those decisions you and your partner might find that the LLC (this is the keyword - what is in the best interests of the LLC) may be better off actually hiring those independent third party professionals instead of having partners do the same thing 😁. Unless of course those partners bring the same level of expertise that others would bring at similar rates

User Stats

Votes
Scott Krone
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Northbrook, IL
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Northbrook, IL
Replied Jun 29 2022, 06:57

@Joshua Steven Ferrell - ultimately the answer to your question is, "What each of you think is fair".  Some have suggested 50/50 split, and having management as an expense.  Valid points - if you are both contributing the same amount of equity.  Which leads back to my first point, if the equity is 70/30 split, but the 30 is doing the management, then perhaps 50/50 works IF both parties agree.  As my mentor once told me - it has to be a win win situation.  Once you agree, then don't question the deal.  You were happy going into it, then be happy exiting it.  You can always evaluate the situation on the second property if you choose to move forward with a second one.  

An attorney will outline all the ways it can be divided.  How you do it will come back to you and your friend.

BiggerPockets logo
Find, Vet and Invest in Syndications
|
BiggerPockets
PassivePockets will help you find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
Basit Siddiqi
Pro Member
  • Accountant
  • New York, NY
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Accountant
  • New York, NY
Replied Jun 29 2022, 19:37

Offer a guaranteed payment to the LLC member who will take on management responsibilities.