Votes
Julian S.
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
Refilling coffee & supplies for guests

Julian S.
  • Austin, TX
Posted Jun 28 2022, 06:14

Hi, I'm a soon-to-be host and I am wondering how others deal with refills on items that were stocked when the guest arrived. Things like coffee, tea, bottled water (our tap water is really hard and tastes gross), as well as items like toilet paper, shampoo, conditioner, hand soap, dish soap, etc. My property is ideal for longer term guests, up to 6 months, so refilling will come up.

Do you all wait for guests to ask for this service? Or do you proactively refill, sending a message weekly?  I live on the same lot, so it's not too much trouble to drop off the supplies. 

Thanks in advance.

User Stats

Votes
John Underwood
Pro Member
#1 Short-Term & Vacation Rental Discussions Contributor
  • Investor
  • Greer, SC
Votes |
Pro Member
#1 Short-Term & Vacation Rental Discussions Contributor
  • Investor
  • Greer, SC
Replied Jun 28 2022, 06:18

Our cleaners handle refilling these items. We buy in bulk from Sam's Club or Amazon and keep the bulk items in the locked owner's closet.

User Stats

Votes
Bruce Woodruff
Pro Member
#4 All Forums Contributor
  • Contractor/Investor/Consultant
  • West Valley Phoenix
Votes |
Pro Member
  • West Valley Phoenix
Replied Jun 28 2022, 06:24

6 months is not really a STR. Our STRs are either a week or weekends, so restocking is easy. You could just keep a closet stocked and let the guests know where it is......of course you might have some theft, but that has gotta be rare with a typical STR guest.....

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Dominic A.
  • Property Manager
  • Nova Scotia
Votes |
  • Property Manager
  • Nova Scotia
Replied Jun 28 2022, 06:32

We load up the rental prior to arrival and wait for the guest to request anything additional they need. They usually don't ask, most staying that long have an expectation that they'll need to pick up supplies at some point. It's nice to have extra items close by just in case though. 

Good idea to make it clear the communication channel is open throughout the stay as well. Most guests staying more than 7 days become pretty self-sufficient but as with any type of property management you'll want to have a plan in place just in case.

User Stats

Votes
Aaron Poling
  • Realtor
  • WV
Votes |
  • Realtor
  • WV
Replied Jun 28 2022, 06:56

If it is a STR, you should supply those things and have a system for how they can be refilled (a few good ideas above) If it is a longer term rental, I would require the tenants supply their own. You could stipulate that anything under a certain amount of days they will be provided, and over is the responsibility of the tenant.

Good Luck! 

User Stats

Votes
Scott E.
  • Developer
  • Scottsdale, AZ
Votes |
  • Developer
  • Scottsdale, AZ
Replied Jun 28 2022, 07:03

With my short term rentals, I always provided a "base set" of supplies which was enough coffee, toilet paper, paper towels, shampoo, propane to get anybody through any average stay.

Nobody ever asked for additional supplies (and I had 3 homes that I ran for 3 years on airbnb).

And even more importantly, never had a review that complained about the stock of these items.

User Stats

Votes
Dan Maciejewski
  • Realtor
  • PInellas County Largo, FL
Votes |
  • Realtor
  • PInellas County Largo, FL
Replied Jun 28 2022, 07:32

Around here for STRs, usually owners/managers will have it stocked at arrival and let the guests fill up after that.  6 months and a day is long enough to establish residence in our state, so I would not be  grocery delivery service for a long term guest.  Even mid-term 30-60 day stays should be able to take care of their own toilet paper and coffee!

User Stats

Votes
Conner Olsen
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Austin, TX
Replied Jun 28 2022, 07:36

I have a MTR in Austin as well and I supply them with about a week's worth of good like TP, paper towels, laundry pods, dishwasher pods, etc. After that it's up to them to get those items.

User Stats

Votes
Paul Sandhu#4 Short-Term & Vacation Rental Discussions Contributor
  • Investor
  • The worst town to live in, KS
Votes |
Paul Sandhu#4 Short-Term & Vacation Rental Discussions Contributor
  • Investor
  • The worst town to live in, KS
Replied Jun 28 2022, 09:19

I tell all my renters that the places are stocked with starting supplies (soap, detergent, cleaning supplies, condoms, condiments, towels, linens, tp, paper towels, etc.).  When they run out, they need to purchase their own.  They are free to take the supplies they bought when they leave.  I figure most people have a particular brand of tp that they like to wipe their butt with.

User Stats

Votes
Nathan Gesner
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
ModeratorReplied Jun 29 2022, 05:20
Quote from @Julian S.:

Hi, I'm a soon-to-be host and I am wondering how others deal with refills on items that were stocked when the guest arrived. Things like coffee, tea, bottled water (our tap water is really hard and tastes gross), as well as items like toilet paper, shampoo, conditioner, hand soap, dish soap, etc. My property is ideal for longer term guests, up to 6 months, so refilling will come up.

Do you all wait for guests to ask for this service? Or do you proactively refill, sending a message weekly?  I live on the same lot, so it's not too much trouble to drop off the supplies. 

Thanks in advance.

We provide certain amenities fresh for every guest. A small amount of coffee to get them through 1-2 days. TP, paper towels, soap, shampoo, conditioner, etc. We go above-and-beyond by leaving a box of noodles and some canned spaghetti sauce for a quick meal, some chocolates on the counter, etc. Many guests are driving all day and don't have time to go to the store that first night, so this little step provides a warmer welcome.

• Property Manager Wyoming (#12599)

American West Realty & Management Logo

User Stats

Votes
Julian S.
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
  • Austin, TX
Replied Jun 29 2022, 05:39

Great, thanks everyone for the input. It looks like most people are doing what I had in mind, which is to only provide the initial supply stock.

User Stats

Votes
Melissa Kirk
  • Realtor
  • Portage WI
Votes |
  • Realtor
  • Portage WI
Replied Jun 29 2022, 12:37

Our cleaners are in charge of restocking those items.  I keep a nice stock of everything in a locked closet at each property and they let me know when the stock room needs to be refilled.  For a mid-term guest, I give them what I call a "starter pack" with several rolls of toilet paper, paper towels, bags of coffee, tea, tiny laundry soap container, etc.  After that, they are purchasing what they need. Not a chance I'm suppling people with toilet paper for months on end!

User Stats

Votes
Bruce Woodruff
Pro Member
  • West Valley Phoenix
Votes |
Pro Member
  • West Valley Phoenix
Replied Jun 29 2022, 14:49
Quote from @Julian S.:

Great, thanks everyone for the input. It looks like most people are doing what I had in mind, which is to only provide the initial supply stock.

For a long(er) term rental like yours, yes. For those of us who turn them over weekly or bi-weekly, they should be fully stocked for each guest when they arrive.....

Yours is not really a Short Term Rental as we think of them, more a Medium Term Rental....

BiggerPockets logo
Find, Vet and Invest in Syndications
|
BiggerPockets
PassivePockets will help you find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
Robin Simon#1 Creative Real Estate Financing Contributor
  • Lender
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
Robin Simon#1 Creative Real Estate Financing Contributor
  • Lender
  • Austin, TX
Replied Sep 24 2022, 07:20
Quote from @Bruce Woodruff:
Quote from @Julian S.:

For a long(er) term rental like yours, yes. For those of us who turn them over weekly or bi-weekly, they should be fully stocked for each guest when they arrive.....

Yours is not really a Short Term Rental as we think of them, more a Medium Term Rental....

Yup - always important to differentiate between STRs and MTRS - answers to these types of questions will differ a lot between the two!

User Stats

Votes
Kevin Escobar
Pro Member
  • Investor
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
Replied Sep 24 2022, 09:12

If you have a guest staying for a few months it would be considered a MTR and I would not be restocking constantly. I would initially have it set up with everything they need and once they run out of TP, Coffee Etc they can pick up their supplies. STR is a different story, we provide everything they need for their stay and never want to have a guest say they ran out of toilet paper etc.