• California
Votes |
iPad app for digital home guide...

Kirsten Hunt
  • Rental Property Investor
  • California
Posted Jul 2 2022, 14:28

Hello People!

We are getting ready to furnish and set up an STR in the Dallas area, and we would like it to be a somewhat smart home. We are out of state investors and will need some ability to control things from California! We were planning on having a secured iPad that would have all of our home guide pages in it. I know we can lock the iPad into a single app (kinda like a demo mode in a store), but I have no clue what app to use that would both load to a predictable page, and have screens that are editable via the internet. Is an actual webpage the answer, or does iPad powerpoint or other apps work for this system? I would like the home screen to be a welcome message with some links to local restaurants, home features, check out procedures, etc. Any ideas?

Thanks!

Jared and Kirsten

User Stats

Votes
Bruce Woodruff
Pro Member
#3 All Forums Contributor
  • Contractor/Investor/Consultant
  • West Valley Phoenix
Votes |
Pro Member
#3 All Forums Contributor
  • Contractor/Investor/Consultant
  • West Valley Phoenix
Replied Jul 2 2022, 14:46

We recently stayed at a resort in Scottsdale AZ that had a neat feature - when you walking into your room for the first time the TVs came on with a welcome screen with our names and a list of the features available at the resort, with links for each....

Don't know how they did it, but it was kinda neat.....

User Stats

Votes
Luke Carl#3 Short-Term & Vacation Rental Discussions Contributor
  • Tennessee Florida
Votes |
Luke Carl#3 Short-Term & Vacation Rental Discussions Contributor
  • Tennessee Florida
Replied Jul 2 2022, 15:32

Hostfully or touchstay 

BiggerPockets logo
Find, Vet and Invest in Syndications
|
BiggerPockets
PassivePockets will help you find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
Nathan Olds
  • Mason, MI
Votes |
  • Mason, MI
Replied Jul 2 2022, 18:46

@Kirsten Hunt check out YourWelcome. It sound like exactly what you are looking for.

https://www.yourwelcome.com/

User Stats

Votes
Melissa Garcia
  • Houston, TX
Votes |
  • Houston, TX
Replied Jul 2 2022, 19:42

All the apps mentioned here are great options for that! However, I might be weary to leave an ipad, but maybe I’m just a little untrusting! We just provide links to our check in guides and that seems to work well. Another great option is a scannable QR code that can be framed and placed somewhere your guests will see right away. 

Also, check out Co-Keeper if your looking for a solution to manage your cleaners remotely. You get cleaning reports with pictures and there’s also supply tracker that makes it super convenient to manage everything from your phone and make sure your properties are good to go for every check in

User Stats

Votes
John Underwood
Pro Member
#1 Short-Term & Vacation Rental Discussions Contributor
  • Investor
  • Greer, SC
Votes |
Pro Member
#1 Short-Term & Vacation Rental Discussions Contributor
  • Investor
  • Greer, SC
Replied Jul 2 2022, 20:00

Just use a 3 binder to start with or after someone breaks the iPad. 

User Stats

Votes
Bruce Lynn#2 Real Estate Agent Contributor
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Coppell, TX
Votes |
Bruce Lynn#2 Real Estate Agent Contributor
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Coppell, TX
Replied Jul 3 2022, 10:15

Who knows where the legislation goes, but City of Dallas is considering ban on STR.
https://www.fox4news.com/news/...

Also I've been looking at rates and occupancy lately around downtown Dallas, Bishop Arts, Oak Lawn area and it seems rates are super low...and occupancy horrible. I don't own any STR, it intrigues me, but the numbers at least for the Summer don't look too good. I'm sure you know more than I do about all this. Tourism folks are saying right now that it is probably another year before the big conventions come back to town, due to lead time they need to book and organize.

Hopefully you have better luck or different or better product than some of the current folks.

User Stats

Votes
Kirsten Hunt
  • California
Votes |
  • California
Replied Jul 4 2022, 08:55

Thanks to all for the ideas! We will check out the apps and also are looking at a flat, simple website to display pdf of our house manual, links to local places of interest and a nice welcome page customized per guest. The iPad will be secured in a locked case that is mounted in the wall, so guests are not able to handle or remove it. Additionally, our STR is not in the city of Dallas, but the surrounding area, which is STR friendly and already collecting HOT taxes. We are not concerned about changing laws at this time.