• Real Estate Agent
  • Oakland, CA
Votes |
Posting short-term rental property permit on listings

David Lao
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Oakland, CA
Posted Jul 3 2022, 12:20

I'm looking into getting a short-term rental property (AirBnB) in the next 1-3 months.

According to Nashville's website (https://www.nashville.gov/depa...) "Short Term Rental Property operators are required to post a picture of their current permit to all listings online."  However, I see a lot of Nashville listings that don't post the permits on the listings.  To what extent does this get enforced? 

I am also wondering how well other STR rules get enforced in other cities, like Las Vegas, NV. Do you operate a STRP? What are your thoughts?

User Stats

Votes
John Underwood
Pro Member
#1 Short-Term & Vacation Rental Discussions Contributor
  • Investor
  • Greer, SC
Votes |
Pro Member
#1 Short-Term & Vacation Rental Discussions Contributor
  • Investor
  • Greer, SC
Replied Jul 3 2022, 12:31
Quote from @David Lao:

I'm looking into getting a short-term rental property (AirBnB) in the next 1-3 months.

According to Nashville's website (https://www.nashville.gov/depa...) "Short Term Rental Property operators are required to post a picture of their current permit to all listings online."  However, I see a lot of Nashville listings that don't post the permits on the listings.  To what extent does this get enforced? 

I am also wondering how well other STR rules get enforced in other cities, like Las Vegas, NV. Do you operate a STRP? What are your thoughts?

I wouldn't worry about the enforcement.  I would follow the rules so your not the one that gets made an example out of it.

If everyone is speeding on the interstate and you are the only one that gets caught your not going to be able to say everyone else was doing it as a defense.

User Stats

Votes
Sergey A. Petrov
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Seattle, WA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Seattle, WA
Replied Jul 3 2022, 12:51

are you asking if you should get a permit to operate a short term rental or if you should post it on your listing once you have it? it'd be silly to get the permit and then just flat out refuse to post a picture of it. 

"Dear judge, I don't understand the nature of this hearing. I am in full compliance and have all my ducks in a row. I just don't believe in taking pictures and posting them online due to privacy concerns. And also, I am sorry, but for that same reason I do not have a picture or a photocopy of the permit to show you at this hearing today. But trust me, I am in full compliance and everything is in order"

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Carolyn Fuller
  • Cambridge, MA
Votes |
  • Cambridge, MA
Replied Jul 3 2022, 14:02

@Sergey A. Petrov Obviously, @David Lao is not really asking about whether to display the permit or not. He's real question is "Do I invest in an STR that does not meet regulation requirements in the hopes that the local authorities are not enforcing their regulations?"

I suspect the answer is "Not, unless you can pivot to something that does meet regulation requirements."

I have no idea if Nashville is enforcing its STR regulations or what happens when they do enforce, but at the very least, I would avoid any investment that is reliant on "not being caught."

User Stats

Votes
Andrew Street
Pro Member
Votes |
Pro Member
Replied Jul 3 2022, 16:39

@John Underwood has a really good point. You do not want to be the example. People may be getting away with it for now, but it's not going to be a long term approach. Instead, think about how you can invest in a property, be in line with regulations and cashflow/equity paydown in perpetuity. It's all about the long game, not the quick buck.

User Stats

Votes
Replied Jul 3 2022, 18:06

Honestly David, i feel that if you have a good contingency plan... why not give it a try?

I remember people telling me it was a bad idea to invest my ENTIRE life savings in my first place, right when the first round of shutdowns ended from the pandemic.  That it would be illegal to evict tenants for god knows how long... anyways needless to say i personally am glad i took the shot.

IF you have a good contingency incase short term rental doesnt pan out in the future (think travel nurses or other medium term corporate rentals), then what do you have to lose?

My experience has been that municipalities just tell you to stop... and havent heard personally of anyone ever being made an example unless they were a really bad host and let too many parties or other neighborhood degrading activities happen.

Please feel free to reach out via my cell if you have any further questions, and good luck!

User Stats

Votes
Doreen M ODonovan
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Aptos, CA
Votes |
  • Aptos, CA
Replied Jul 3 2022, 18:06

Gatlinburg requires a permit but you don’t have to post it. You do have to get and and I had to do some repairs to pass. 

User Stats

Votes
Nathan Gesner
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
ModeratorReplied Jul 4 2022, 04:42
Quote from @David Lao:

Keep in mind a lot of people don't follow the law. Don't be that guy they choose to make an example of.

• Property Manager Wyoming (#12599)

American West Realty & Management Logo

User Stats

Votes
Joshua Kitlas
Pro Member
  • Brooklyn, NY
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Brooklyn, NY
Replied Jul 4 2022, 05:40

New York State's Warren County has a similar law. I scanned a digital copy of it and included it with an automated email guests receive when they've booked a property. 

It looks like this:
---
Best regards,

Joshua

Please note that by law, Warren County, in the great state of New York, requires me to share the property's Certificate of Authority.
You can view it here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1QUIg9EdqYlIpOq0ntc-hx3dilPk8oyuL/view?usp=sharing

User Stats

Votes
Bruce Woodruff
Pro Member
#3 All Forums Contributor
  • Contractor/Investor/Consultant
  • West Valley Phoenix
Votes |
Pro Member
#3 All Forums Contributor
  • Contractor/Investor/Consultant
  • West Valley Phoenix
Replied Jul 4 2022, 07:06

Where I live, you have to get a permit, but are not required to display it except at the property itself. As others have said, I would not be the one to defy the law in this case....

User Stats

Votes
Luka Milicevic
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Nashville, TN
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Nashville, TN
Replied Jul 5 2022, 10:10

@David Lao

You are supposed to post the permit and you should. 

If you don't, it doesn't really matter as the city can just look up your address and see if you have one in their system.

In terms of enforcement in the Nashville area for STRs-if you don't have a permit I'd give it about 3 days before you get a stop work order put on your front door. 

• Real Estate Agent Tennessee (#358883)

Middle TN Home Alliance Logo

User Stats

Votes
Replied Jul 5 2022, 16:55
Quote from @David Lao:

Well, hell, life is a crap shoot isn't it?  One thing to be aware of is that there are companies out there that scour the short term listings on rental sites and report to the cities on who is and isn't in compliance.  Cities just pay a relatively small amount to get a list of offenders.  Your 'friend' might get caught....he might not.  If he's the kind of guy that gives himself 10 extra minutes from home-to-gate to catch a flight - then he shouldn't worry about it.

User Stats

Votes
David Lao
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Oakland, CA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Oakland, CA
Replied Jul 5 2022, 17:12

@Andrew Street@Andrew Street @Carolyn Fuller @John Underwood @Nathan Gesner @Alex Papai @Joshua Kitlas

Thank you all so much for your feedback! This question that I asked is a part of my due diligence. I'm erring on the side of caution as you all recommended and am thinking long-term.

User Stats

Votes
Sergey A. Petrov
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Seattle, WA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Seattle, WA
Replied Jul 5 2022, 18:16

@David Lao - understood! long term strategizing, I feel, is the best approach for most of us in the real estate game! Hope all goes well!

User Stats

Votes
Replied Jul 6 2022, 13:15

Jim hit nail on head.  If you have the appetite for risk... and "make it work." Youll be fine.  You're a young guy and will succeed as long as you act!

User Stats

Votes
Moses Bowie Russ
  • Investor
  • Philadelphia/Charlotte/Raleigh/SD and LA Counties
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Philadelphia/Charlotte/Raleigh/SD and LA Counties
Replied Jul 6 2022, 16:06

Do it the right way. If it's about safety and God forbid someone gets hurt or worse. You're going to with you did. Something like that could invalidate your insurance. I'm usually a make it work type of guy, unless I can get sued-sued or someone could get hurt or worse and then sue me. 

User Stats

Votes
Wayne Woodson
  • Investor
  • Nashville, TN
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Nashville, TN
Replied Jul 7 2022, 11:10

It's not really a question of whether or not they will enforce the permit. It's when your neighbors call and file complaints about noise to metro codes or your competition go and rats you out for not having it. For a while, some people were just copying the picture of the permit on others' listings or just copying the permit number in the listing to their listing. They caught onto that one real quick. I wish I could have gotten into STR back in 2014 when you didn't need a permit but I didn't have the cash then.

User Stats

Votes
Joshua Messinger
  • Property Manager
  • Poconos, PA
Votes |
  • Property Manager
  • Poconos, PA
Replied Jul 7 2022, 12:55

Hey @David Lao

Just like @John Underwood had said. You do not want to be the example. Enforcement of any rules/regulations across the country seem to be pretty weak but gradually getting better as tech improves and as more regulations get put into place. 

If you have any other questions please don't hesitate to reach out! I look forward to hearing about you locking up on your first property!! 

All the best,

Josh 

Keller Williams Real Estate Logo