Short-Term & Vacation Rental Discussions

User Stats

Votes
Parul Bhasin
Votes |
Buying STR in Smoky Mountains

Parul Bhasin
Posted Jul 9 2022, 14:27

Hi, I am trying to find STR in smoky's under $200,000 with 2BD and great views. Market is too hot right now so I am ready to wait for a few months to get a good deal. I have heard TN is a better option than NC due to low taxes. Can you recommend good areas within Smoky's that are in my budget?

I am a newbie so any help/recommendations are appreciated. Thanks.

User Stats

Votes
Ken Boone
  • Investor
  • Greenville, SC
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Greenville, SC
Replied Jul 9 2022, 14:31

uh nowhere.  sorry man that is just the facts.

User Stats

Votes
Collin H.
Pro Member
#4 Short-Term & Vacation Rental Discussions Contributor
  • Property Manager
  • Gatlinburg, TN
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Property Manager
  • Gatlinburg, TN
Replied Jul 9 2022, 14:36
Quote from @Parul Bhasin:

Hi, I am trying to find STR in smoky's under $200,000 with 2BD and great views. Market is too hot right now so I am ready to wait for a few months to get a good deal. I have heard TN is a better option than NC due to low taxes. Can you recommend good areas within Smoky's that are in my budget?

$200K is going to be tough.  I would say $300K is more the low-end of realistic, and that would probably be in Cosby.

That being said, there’s nothing wrong with Cosby whatsoever.  I bought a wonderful property there about 14 months ago that is yielding about 25%, annual rents % to purchase price.  

Cosby is being discovered though:  When I bought my first property there in 2005, there were 20-25 listings for Cosby on VRBO.  Now there are hundreds.  

Good luck in your search!

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Luke Carl#3 Short-Term & Vacation Rental Discussions Contributor
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Tennessee Florida
Votes |
  • Tennessee Florida
Replied Jul 9 2022, 14:40

@Avery Carl what’s a 2 bed with a view today? @Julie McCoy

User Stats

Votes
John Carbone
  • Gatlinburg
Votes |
  • Gatlinburg
Replied Jul 9 2022, 14:47

Mid 300s now for that, and probably no view. 

User Stats

Votes
  • Tennessee Florida
Votes |
  • Tennessee Florida
Replied Jul 9 2022, 15:00

@Reagen Natho 

User Stats

Votes
Wilson Hunter
  • Investor
  • Greenville, SC
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Greenville, SC
Replied Jul 9 2022, 15:04

I saw a shed that was leaning 45 degrees with half the roof torn off for about $200k. The listing description said "great fixer upper opportunity."

User Stats

Votes
Reagen Natho
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Texas Tennessee
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Texas Tennessee
Replied Jul 9 2022, 15:10

A 2 bed in the Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg/Sevierville area is going to roughly run you in the $550-$650k range. With a killer view, you will probably be looking a little north of that. 

I do like what @Collin H. said above. I had a client get a super cute studio cabin in Cosby under contract for around $250k recently. It could be a great place to look, especially if you want a view. 

User Stats

Votes
Robin Simon#1 Creative Real Estate Financing Contributor
  • Lender
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
Robin Simon#1 Creative Real Estate Financing Contributor
  • Lender
  • Austin, TX
Replied Jul 9 2022, 15:13

Yes taxes are important, but you really shouldn't just writeoff North Carolina vs. Tennessee due to "higher taxes".  There is a lot behind the argument that East TN is oversaturated right now, I'd recommend being more openminded by state

User Stats

Votes
Parul Bhasin
Votes |
Replied Jul 9 2022, 15:13

I found some properties in Whittier,NC. Anyone has STR in the location? Is a good option to consider?

User Stats

Votes
Collin H.
Pro Member
  • Property Manager
  • Gatlinburg, TN
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Property Manager
  • Gatlinburg, TN
Replied Jul 9 2022, 15:20
Quote from @Reagen Natho:

A 2 bed in the Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg/Sevierville area is going to roughly run you in the $550-$650k range. With a killer view, you will probably be looking a little north of that. 

I do like what @Collin H. said above. I had a client get a super cute studio cabin in Cosby under contract for around $250k recently. It could be a great place to look, especially if you want a view. 

Reagen, good info.  For your investors buying in PF/Gatlinburg these days, what is a generally acceptable annual yield?  Meaning annual rents-to-purchase price ratio.  ($50K to $500K being 10%, etc.).  It appears investors are OK with as little as 7 to 8 percent these days on a lot of deals.  

User Stats

Votes
John Carbone
  • Gatlinburg
Votes |
  • Gatlinburg
Replied Jul 9 2022, 15:30

I agree! I referred my sister on that one. The roi should be great on it! Collin turned me on to Cosby a few years ago. 

User Stats

Votes
Reagen Natho
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Texas Tennessee
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Texas Tennessee
Replied Jul 9 2022, 15:44

@John Carbone is Jennifer your sister?! 

User Stats

Votes
John Carbone
  • Gatlinburg
Votes |
  • Gatlinburg
Replied Jul 9 2022, 15:46

Yes she is. 

User Stats

Votes
Reagen Natho
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Texas Tennessee
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Texas Tennessee
Replied Jul 9 2022, 15:54
Quote from @John Carbone:

Yes she is. 
So awesome! I LOVE that little cabin. I’m so happy y’all found it. I may be their first guest. 😂 I want to run away from my kids and spend the weekend relaxing in the porch, listening to the river. They’re gonna kill it. 

User Stats

Votes
Reagen Natho
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Texas Tennessee
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Texas Tennessee
Replied Jul 9 2022, 16:04
Quote from @Collin H.:

Reagen, good info.  For your investors buying in PF/Gatlinburg these days, what is a generally acceptable annual yield?  Meaning annual rents-to-purchase price ratio.  ($50K to $500K being 10%, etc.).  It appears investors are OK with as little as 7 to 8 percent these days on a lot of deals.  

That's a very personal decision that has to make sense to the investor and their numbers. People invest for so many different reasons... I had a guy I talked to the other day that paid in over $100k in taxes last year. He'd rather put that $100k into an investment property that will be paid for by someone else and cashflow a bit on top of it. 

User Stats

Votes
John Carbone
  • Gatlinburg
Votes |
  • Gatlinburg
Replied Jul 9 2022, 16:05
Quote from @Robin Simon:

Yes taxes are important, but you really shouldn't just writeoff North Carolina vs. Tennessee due to "higher taxes".  There is a lot behind the argument that East TN is oversaturated right now, I'd recommend being more openminded by state

East Tennessee gets the tourists though and it always has. I think places like Bryson city are getting over saturated and there’s just not enough demand. 

User Stats

Votes
John Carbone
  • Gatlinburg
Votes |
  • Gatlinburg
Replied Jul 9 2022, 16:11

@Collin H.is the Cosby whale. 

User Stats

Votes
Collin H.
Pro Member
  • Property Manager
  • Gatlinburg, TN
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Property Manager
  • Gatlinburg, TN
Replied Jul 9 2022, 17:42
Quote from @John Carbone:

@Collin H.is the Cosby whale. 

Ha.  You're funny John.  We actually own and manage cabins throughout the entire area, but certainly the Cosby cabins do well.  On a yield basis, every bit as well as Gatlinburg.  

User Stats

Votes
Collin H.
Pro Member
  • Property Manager
  • Gatlinburg, TN
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Property Manager
  • Gatlinburg, TN
Replied Jul 9 2022, 17:45
Quote from @Collin H.:

That's a very personal decision that has to make sense to the investor and their numbers. People invest for so many different reasons... I had a guy I talked to the other day that paid in over $100k in taxes last year. He'd rather put that $100k into an investment property that will be paid for by someone else and cashflow a bit on top of it. 

We see the same.  Even if you aren't making a dime of positive cash flow, the big money is that someone else is paying off a significant asset for you, that is appreciating over time.  Far too many get caught up in the monthly income side of things and focus on that exclusively.  

My first cabin, purchased in 2005, I was negative cash flow for years, yet it still turned out to be a terrific investment over the long term.  Someone else paid it off, and it tripled in value while they were doing so.  Heck of a return.  

User Stats

Votes
Max L.
  • Charlotte, NC
Votes |
  • Charlotte, NC
Replied Jul 10 2022, 08:20

I found some properties in Whittier,NC. Anyone has STR in the location? Is a good option to consider?

Whittier is small. I own in a town close-by and have actually stayed in a STR in Whittier. Not much to do in Whittier, however its a short drive to Bryson City/Cherokee. Instead of broad brush "is this a good investment" I suggest you do a deep dive into the STR's already in the area and compare their rates to what your total investment will be after the property is ready to rent. There will be a small window to raise the daily rate during the month of October during peak fall colors, but that's about it for the year.

It's also noteworthy to actually look into where these mountain properties are on a map. Just because a home has a "Whittier" address doesn't mean its anywhere close to the attractions short term renters seek. Sometimes homes can be 1hr+ away from the town shown on its mailing address due to the topography of the land. 

Good luck!

User Stats

Votes
Jonathan Stevens
Pro Member
  • Attleboro, MA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Attleboro, MA
Replied Jul 10 2022, 09:14

I purchased a 2bd 2ba in Sevierville about 3 miles from Dollywood. I paid 425k in October 2021 and I still had to put about 50k in updates and furnishings to get it listed. Not sure what you will find for 200k unless its a condo. 

User Stats

Votes
Dale Summons
  • Cockeysville, MD
Votes |
  • Cockeysville, MD
Replied Jul 10 2022, 13:03

@Collin H. These are the stories that drive so many. I often think about those who purchased in say DC 20 yrs ago....i mean, my goodness. The appreciation is off the charts. Massive gains

User Stats

Votes
Mitch Davidson
  • Lender
  • Asheville, NC
Votes |
  • Lender
  • Asheville, NC
Replied Jul 10 2022, 17:29

@Parul Bhasin: As @Max L. said, you really need to look at this property on a map. Hopefully your agent will be brutally honest about the location. There are some spots of Bryson City, Almond, Whittier, Webster, etc. that are 30+ minutes from anything your guests will want or need, and to make it worse up very twisty roads.

Also, if you won't be able to be on site a lot of the initial setup of the home, and if you don't have the time or patience for that phase to go much longer than normal, I would look at other markets instead. In these towns, I can speak from experience, the few contractors you can find are booked far out, often don't really need your business, and are typically found only by word of mouth.

For that reason, you might find that photos of listings in this particular market on average don't look as great as a market where more help is available. STR owners seem to often have to settle for a little less wow factor due to lack of help. On the flip side, if you can put your own hands into the work and make the wow factor happen yourself, you may find it a little easier to stand out compared to some other markets.

User Stats

Votes
Replied Jul 11 2022, 05:29

I recently came on vacation to Gatlinburg, TN, and fell in love with the place. I spent 2 days with first-day spending around Anakeesta, Skywalk, eating, walking, and the next day on the mountains doing some trekking. Did a couple of trails till dusk and returned to the hotel.

I am interested in buying an STR in Sevierville/ Pigeon Forge / Gatlinburg surroundings. How much would it cost for 3 bedrooms/2.5 baths? What are the returns on STR? How is the STR in winter during the months of Dec to March? If there is no short-term rentals during winter, how does the owner take the keys?

Trying to figure out the details and educate myself. Any help would be appreciated. 

Thanks

User Stats

Votes
Collin H.
Pro Member
  • Property Manager
  • Gatlinburg, TN
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Property Manager
  • Gatlinburg, TN
Replied Jul 11 2022, 06:44
Quote from @Gopalakrishna Bhat:

I recently came on vacation to Gatlinburg, TN, and fell in love with the place. I spent 2 days with first-day spending around Anakeesta, Skywalk, eating, walking, and the next day on the mountains doing some trekking. Did a couple of trails till dusk and returned to the hotel.

I am interested in buying an STR in Sevierville/ Pigeon Forge / Gatlinburg surroundings. How much would it cost for 3 bedrooms/2.5 baths? What are the returns on STR? How is the STR in winter during the months of Dec to March? If there is no short-term rentals during winter, how does the owner take the keys?

Trying to figure out the details and educate myself. Any help would be appreciated. 

Thanks

Your story sounds a lot like mine from way back in 2005. The Gatlinburg area is really terrific.  There will be realtors chime in as to prices, and I would recommend that you contact them.  At a minimum, it is realistic that you can buy a property that will completely cash flow, meaning all of the expenses, including your mortgage, management fees, etc., can be taken care of with the rental income.  That means that someone else (your guests) are doing your investing and building your nest egg.  There are not many places in the U.S. that can truly claim that.  

There is also the potential for profit over and above your expenses, but usually only if you self manage.  You are effectively signing up for a part time job, but many do it very effectively and enjoy the experience.