• Attleboro, MA
Votes |
Purchasing a motel in Eastern Tennessee

Jonathan Stevens
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Attleboro, MA
Posted Jul 10 2022, 09:20

I am interested in exploring purchasing a motel in the smoky mountains and wanted to make some other connections down there who have experience in doing this. I currently own a STR in Sevierville but want to expand in other areas. Thanks!

User Stats

Votes
John Carbone
  • Gatlinburg
Votes |
  • Gatlinburg
Replied Jul 10 2022, 09:23
Quote from @Jonathan Stevens:

I am interested in exploring purchasing a motel in the smoky mountains and wanted to make some other connections down there who have experience in doing this. I currently own a STR in Sevierville but want to expand in other areas. Thanks!

I just am in the process of finishing a renovation on a small motel like property. Message me if you want to discuss. 

User Stats

Votes
Luke Carl#3 Short-Term & Vacation Rental Discussions Contributor
  • Tennessee Florida
Votes |
Luke Carl#3 Short-Term & Vacation Rental Discussions Contributor
  • Tennessee Florida
Replied Jul 10 2022, 09:24

Hotel is a hotel is a hotel. Whole different thing than Vrbo. I’m sorry it’s not something I know anything about other than asking about it here is probably the wrong move. 

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
John Underwood
Pro Member
#1 Short-Term & Vacation Rental Discussions Contributor
  • Investor
  • Greer, SC
Votes |
Pro Member
#1 Short-Term & Vacation Rental Discussions Contributor
  • Investor
  • Greer, SC
Replied Jul 10 2022, 09:42

Inrhink most people prefer a cabin but not really sure either. 

Have you tried to talk with other small hotel owners to get a feel for demand?

User Stats

Votes
John Carbone
  • Gatlinburg
Votes |
  • Gatlinburg
Replied Jul 10 2022, 09:51

There is a large new hotel going in by the Alamo steakhouse in gatlinburg. They must feel like there is demand to be doing that. I imagine those rooms won’t be under $200 a night. 

The problem with the area is that almost all of the motels are so outdated from the 70s that nobody wants to stay at them. Sort of like the motel in the ozarks show. Big money is coming into this area to appeal to the modern times. 

User Stats

Votes
Mike Eichler
  • Realtor
  • Pocono Pines, PA
Votes |
  • Realtor
  • Pocono Pines, PA
Replied Jul 10 2022, 10:01

I am currently looking around the smoky mountain area aswell, I work in STR management and would be more than happy to run some numbers on something you find for free, let me know how I can help.

User Stats

Votes
Collin H.
Pro Member
#4 Short-Term & Vacation Rental Discussions Contributor
  • Property Manager
  • Gatlinburg, TN
Votes |
Pro Member
#4 Short-Term & Vacation Rental Discussions Contributor
  • Property Manager
  • Gatlinburg, TN
Replied Jul 10 2022, 10:04
Quote from @Mike Eichler:

I am currently looking around the smoky mountain area aswell, I work in STR management and would be more than happy to run some numbers on something you find for free, let me know how I can help.

I think a small motel could be a great idea. There are a lot of 60s-70s style drive-in motels around Gatlinburg.  It would be cool to completely gut one of those, yet keep the  60s-70s theme. Heck, the mid century decor has become all the rage again, so why not?  

User Stats

Votes
Chase Hoover
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Staunton, VA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Staunton, VA
Replied Jul 10 2022, 10:13

We have 2 boutique motels undergoing renovation in the Shenandoah VA area, a 22-room and a 7-room, both launching in the next 4-6 weeks. Spending a lot of $ remodeling them to modern standards with attractive finishes and amenities. We'll be priced well below cabin rental rates in the area targeting the younger couples looking to spend a few days hiking, hitting the breweries, etc without having to spend $1000+. I think it's a great idea, but ask me again next year once I have data to share!