Katharine G.
  • New York, NY
Votes |
ISO Realtor/Lender/Cleaners/Handymen Western NC for STR/2nd Home

Katharine G.
  • New York, NY
Posted Jul 16 2022, 08:04

Hey BP team--

Looking at Western NC (NC/Georgia border + around Murphy, Southern Smokies Bryson City/Cherokee/Sylva/Franklin/Highlands--yes, keeping it broad for now) for a 2nd home/STR within the next 6-9 months or so. I'm in the very beginning stages of the process, so looking for recs for:

Realtors

Brokers

Cleaners

Handymen

In the area. Also, of course, would love to connect with other folks who are invested in the area and/or have tips/tricks to share. I know regulations vary a bit per town which I find a bit daunting as well. (I currently invest in the Catskills in NY and am not contending with regulations...yet!)

Hope to hear from some of you!

User Stats

Votes
Paul Sandhu#4 Short-Term & Vacation Rental Discussions Contributor
  • Investor
  • The worst town to live in, KS
Votes |
Paul Sandhu#4 Short-Term & Vacation Rental Discussions Contributor
  • Investor
  • The worst town to live in, KS
Replied Jul 16 2022, 08:29

Why do you need a realtor?  We just look at our local multiple listing service website to see what houses are for sale.  We also drive around desireable markets and look for "House For Sale" signs.  When we find a house, we normally already have a key (bank foreclosure).

User Stats

Votes
John Underwood
Pro Member
#1 Short-Term & Vacation Rental Discussions Contributor
  • Investor
  • Greer, SC
Votes |
Pro Member
#1 Short-Term & Vacation Rental Discussions Contributor
  • Investor
  • Greer, SC
Replied Jul 16 2022, 09:37

FB market place for most of these things.

Look for top producing realtor to help you find a property. Don't sign an exclusive agreement. Only reward the realtor for work they do. Be looking at Not MLS properties yourself.

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Katharine G.
  • New York, NY
Votes |
  • New York, NY
Replied Jul 16 2022, 14:53

Rookie question but how do you have access to the MLS if you aren't a realtor? Is there a reputable 3rd party site?

User Stats

Votes
Jack Mawer
  • Lender
Votes |
  • Lender
Replied Jul 16 2022, 19:47

Just PM'd you

User Stats

Votes
Katherine Serrell
  • Investor
  • Raleigh
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Raleigh
Replied Aug 14 2022, 10:01

Just PM'd you. I am a lender and would love to help in anyway I can.

User Stats

Votes
Orlando Ortiz
  • Investor
  • Florida
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Florida
Replied Aug 15 2022, 07:11

Give Darrin Graves a call. He's out of Waynesville, phenomenal agent and great person as well. He helped my wife and I our our first Western NC STR right outside the National Park.

User Stats

Votes
Mitch Davidson
  • Lender
  • Asheville, NC
Votes |
  • Lender
  • Asheville, NC
Replied Aug 15 2022, 07:56

Hi @Katharine G. I know all the markets you've listed very well, from the perspective of an investor but also vacationer and resident. I'd enjoy giving you feedback if you'd like to setup a call. I can also intro you to a local agent, depending on which city you decide to target. The cities you've listed vary wildly in features and appeal. All of them are tough to get good help in, meaning you'll likely find your best helpers through word of mouth and local networking. But some places are a tad easier than others. For example, you'll find help a little easier in Franklin compared to Bryson City (where I have an STR), but I think Franklin is more of a place to live than vacation (so nightly rate averages are lower).

User Stats

Votes
Christian Ehlers
  • Real Estate Agent
  • NH & MA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • NH & MA
Replied Aug 15 2022, 08:07

I would try the agent finder tool on bigger pockets and interview agents first, as if they invest in STR's themselves in the market you want to be in then they should already have great recommendations for you to use for lenders, cleaners etc. I used this tool myself when buying an STR out of state and my agent connected me with everyone I needed, sent me off market deals and even offered to let me buy one of their flips if I wanted.

@John Underwood I'm an investor agent myself so I am definitely biased, but I would consider signing an exclusive agreement if the agent is a great fit and does a bit of work to show they are motivated to work for you upfront. My thought is that most of the busy investor agents, especially top producers, have other clients they can send their best deals to and so if they feel you won't be loyal to them in any way the best deals and service are going to go elsewhere. Curious about your thoughts on this? Simply trying to see things from other peoples perspectives :)

Not saying you should sign up with the first agent you find, and I do believe that unfortunately most agents are not even worth having on your side, but if they are doing all the right things and are top producers I wouldn't be so nervous to sign up. 

Christian Ehlers Realtor Logo

User Stats

Votes
Grant Vincent
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Broker
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Broker
Replied Aug 15 2022, 09:41

I agree with @Christian Ehlers. I am agent. Biased but also capable of objectivity. Lots of lousy agents out there; however, great agents know their value. Experienced producers advocate the best practice of an exclusive agreement. It is accountability for the agent and the buyer. I can expand on that, if desired. Highly recommend using a great agent, particularly if investing out-of-market.