• Rental Property Investor
  • Atlanta, GA
Votes |
Installing Mini Splits Air Conditioner's

Frank Agyeman-Duah
  • Atlanta, GA
Posted Jul 19 2022, 19:05

My 3 bed basement unit is almost ready for STR. However, there's no AC and heat there and I have already purchased min splits air conditioners and an electrician has also laid the lines for me. It's been difficult to get an HVAC technician to install the mini splits for me. The only HVAC guy I got was charging sky rocketing prices. My property is located in Douglasville GA and will need suggestions to get the mini splits installed. Thanks

Atlanta, Georgia

User Stats

Votes
Bruce Woodruff#3 All Forums Contributor
  • Contractor
  • Arizona
Votes |
  • Contractor
  • Arizona
Replied Jul 19 2022, 19:09

You need find someone else. This is not something you can do yourself.

User Stats

Votes
Frank Agyeman-Duah
  • Atlanta, GA
Votes |
  • Atlanta, GA
Replied Jul 19 2022, 19:12
Quote from @Bruce Woodruff:

You need find someone else. This is not something you can do yourself.

Yes, I cannot do it myself. I need suggestions from people in the Atlanta area if they can refer a qualified HVAC technician. Thanks  

User Stats

Votes
John Carbone#5 All Forums Contributor
  • Gatlinburg
Votes |
  • Gatlinburg
Replied Jul 19 2022, 19:57

I’ve installed DIY split systems myself. Each one took about 2 hours. Did you get a DIY split system with refrigerant pre charged?

User Stats

Votes
Replied Jul 20 2022, 18:37

@Frank Agyeman-Duah I used to work in HVAC. Mini splits are notorious for leaking at the joints if not properly installed. Now it should cost an arm and a leg, but I wouldn't necessarily go for Joe blow, "I'll do it for $200" either, or you'll be getting a call in about four months because all the refrigerant has run out your lines.

Is it one outdoor unit and 2-3 heads? I'd expect to pay $1000 - $1500 to get them installed.

He'll need to set the heads, run the lines, hook up the lines, ensure a vacuum, pressure test, and release refrigerant, perhaps even adding some.

The contractor knows he's not making a ton of money, and even though his margins aren't there because you're supplying the units, he needs to factor in you calling him and expecting warranty service if something runs afoul.

User Stats

Votes
Bruce Woodruff#3 All Forums Contributor
  • Contractor
  • Arizona
Votes |
  • Contractor
  • Arizona
Replied Jul 20 2022, 18:50

@Lewis Vine has it right. Do NOT install yourself. Even though I could, I won't. A licensed HVAC Contr will have the right tools to test the lines and set the refrigerant levels correctly. This must be done right....

User Stats

Votes
  • Gatlinburg
Votes |
  • Gatlinburg
Replied Jul 20 2022, 19:22

I don’t feel like I missed out on doing it myself. Same can be said for using a property manager vs yourself or using a realtor or not. HVAC used to be a field where you needed a certified technician to do it. Technology changes and that’s not the case with the split systems. Obviously if you don’t feel comfortable doing it yourself then don't, but it’s a pretty easy process and there are tens of thousands of reviews of people who have also successfully done it. I could theoretically run my own electrical as well, but I would never do that because there is nothing DIY for that, and there would be a serious risk to doing that - so I had a certified electrician run my electric lines. 

User Stats

Votes
Frank Agyeman-Duah
  • Atlanta, GA
Votes |
  • Atlanta, GA
Replied Jul 20 2022, 19:24
Quote from @Lewis Vine:

@Frank Agyeman-Duah I used to work in HVAC. Mini splits are notorious for leaking at the joints if not properly installed. Now it should cost an arm and a leg, but I wouldn't necessarily go for Joe blow, "I'll do it for $200" either, or you'll be getting a call in about four months because all the refrigerant has run out your lines.

Is it one outdoor unit and 2-3 heads? I'd expect to pay $1000 - $1500 to get them installed.

He'll need to set the heads, run the lines, hook up the lines, ensure a vacuum, pressure test, and release refrigerant, perhaps even adding some.

The contractor knows he's not making a ton of money, and even though his margins aren't there because you're supplying the units, he needs to factor in you calling him and expecting warranty service if something runs afoul.

User Stats

Votes
Frank Agyeman-Duah
  • Atlanta, GA
Votes |
  • Atlanta, GA
Replied Jul 20 2022, 19:26
Quote from @Frank Agyeman-Duah:
Quote from @Lewis Vine:

They are 4 separate units. I have already had an electrician ran the electrical lines for me. I contacted one HVAC guy who said he will charge $600 one but I think that’s on a high side.

User Stats

Votes
  • Gatlinburg
Votes |
  • Gatlinburg
Replied Jul 20 2022, 19:53

He should be able to get all 4 done in a day. He’s providing no parts, so it’s strictly labor. Figure $100 to get out there and another $100 in labor for 8 hours you should be looking at around $1000 and that’s all profit (less gas money). 

User Stats

Votes
Frank Agyeman-Duah
  • Atlanta, GA
Votes |
  • Atlanta, GA
Replied Jul 20 2022, 19:56
Quote from @John Carbone:

He should be able to get all 4 done in a day. He’s providing no parts, so it’s strictly labor. Figure $100 to get out there and another $100 in labor for 8 hours you should be looking at around $1000 and that’s all profit (less gas money). 

Yes, he’s providing no parts. He’s only charging for labor. He says the best he can do is $600 each.

User Stats

Votes
  • Gatlinburg
Votes |
  • Gatlinburg
Replied Jul 20 2022, 20:20

Labor is in short supply now especially tradespeople. There are stories everyday now how people who used to make 50-80k working for someone else started their own business and are making 400K a year. This will slow down with the recession, but things really have gotten crazy. I know a plumber who won’t even do work for $150 an hour cash because he’s booked out working 7 days a week. call around to some other people and see what they say. If you are in a time crunch and you don’t feel you can do it yourself, then you’ll just have to pay the kings ransom quotes unfortunately. 

User Stats

Votes
David A.
  • Los Angeles
Votes |
  • Los Angeles
Replied Jul 20 2022, 20:48

Yes, he’s providing no parts. He’s only charging for labor. He says the best he can do is $600 each.

How much lower were you expecting? The longer you drag this out to save a few more bucks the longer it will be before you can have this occupied and earning you money 

User Stats

Votes
  • Gatlinburg
Votes |
  • Gatlinburg
Replied Jul 20 2022, 20:50
Quote from @David A.:

How much lower were you expecting? The longer you drag this out to save a few more bucks the longer it will be before you can have this occupied and earning you money 

That’s the mindset that has led to the existence of 400k a year technicians. Not saying you don’t make a valid point though. 

User Stats

Votes
Frank Agyeman-Duah
  • Atlanta, GA
Votes |
  • Atlanta, GA
Replied Jul 20 2022, 21:11

Labor is in short supply now especially tradespeople. There are stories everyday now how people who used to make 50-80k working for someone else started their own business and are making 400K a year. This will slow down with the recession, but things really have gotten crazy. I know a plumber who won’t even do work for $150 an hour cash because he’s booked out working 7 days a week. call around to some other people and see what they say. If you are in a time crunch and you don’t feel you can do it yourself, then you’ll just have to pay the kings ransom quotes unfortunately. 

I guess I don’t have a lot of options at this point. 

User Stats

Votes
Replied Jul 23 2022, 11:33

$2400 for four heads?  That's a bit much.  You should be able to find a reputable company for less.  

User Stats

Votes
Michael Baum#2 Short-Term & Vacation Rental Discussions Contributor
  • Olympia, WA
Votes |
Michael Baum#2 Short-Term & Vacation Rental Discussions Contributor
  • Olympia, WA
Replied Jul 24 2022, 15:36

Depending on the unit, it can be done yourself. I agree with @Bruce Woodruff that is probably should be done by a pro, but I have done one (Pioneer) and it was pretty easy. You can buy the vacuum sets pretty cheap and there are a ton of videos online on how to do it. I also did my own wiring.

Related video - https://www.youtube.com//watch?v=M3WXL8TBWJs

User Stats

Votes
Sher J.
  • Atlanta, GA
Votes |
  • Atlanta, GA
Replied Jul 28 2022, 07:39

Shoot me a dm. I have a hvac guy, seemed honest. At least you can get an additional quote.