Skip to content
Short-Term & Vacation Rental Discussions

User Stats

Votes
Nathan Kanya
Votes |
Tax Planning - STR Investor Cross Border CPA (Canada-US)

Nathan Kanya
Posted Jul 19 2022, 21:00

Hi all I have recently purchased a home in Atlanta and I am renting it out on Airbnb as a short term rental since February.

I am looking for cross border accountant to do some tax planning and cost benefit analysis of doing a cost segregation study on my property in order to claim accelerated depreciation. I also want to maximize tax write offs this year and see to best offset my expenses this first year of operations. I am located in Toronto Canada but willing to work with anyone knowledgable. If you know of a reputable CPA please reply with  contact information. Thank you very much!

User Stats

Votes
Yonah Weiss
Pro Member
  • Cost Segregation Expert and Investor
  • Lakewood, NJ
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Cost Segregation Expert and Investor
  • Lakewood, NJ
Replied Jul 20 2022, 08:30

@Nathan Kanya congrats on your recent airbnb purchase. First of all, I'm not sure if you're aware but the city of Atlanta recently passed some laws regulated STRs, so make sure you're up to speed on that, so you don't come across any fines.

Secondly, there are plenty of great accountants on this platform, but not sure who does cross border accounting.

@Daniel Hyman @Michael Plaks @Ashish Acharya

User Stats

Votes
Ruben Kanya
  • Short Term Rental: Realtor, Investor, Manager
  • Atlanta, GA
Votes |
  • Short Term Rental: Realtor, Investor, Manager
  • Atlanta, GA
Replied Jul 22 2022, 22:40

@Yonah Weiss is one of the greats @Nathan Kanya -- had a pleasure having him on my podcast, a leader in the space! Yes @Yonah Weiss luckily the outskirts of metro Atlanta i.e. Decatur, Ellenwood are not impacted by the STR licenses yet but the process isn't rigorous we've done it for our properties that are located in Atlanta. Thanks for looking out for my brother, I'm sure you see the connection with our last names ;)

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Greg O'Brien
Tax & Financial Services
  • Accountant
  • Boston, MA
Votes |
Tax & Financial Services
  • Accountant
  • Boston, MA
Replied Jul 23 2022, 14:13

@Nathan Kanya PM me some details if you dont want to share publicly (US tax status, foreign/US entities etc). We deal with international investors frequently