• New to Real Estate
  • Indianapolis, IN
Votes |
Proving Income on a STR New Property

Cameron Fowler
  • New to Real Estate
  • Indianapolis, IN
Posted Jul 26 2022, 01:24

How can I prove to a bank that a property is going to make money based on projected numbers? I think more specifically is it even possible? My thought process is that I do not have the funds to purchase a house but I have a very high credit score and if proving to a bank that a specific property can produce significant cash flow will persuade the bank to loan me the money. I am more than welcome to other suggestions. 

User Stats

Votes
Jen Whitehead
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Maine
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Maine
Replied Jul 26 2022, 03:25

There are lenders that are knowledgeable about short term rentals and their bread and butter are DSCR loans that will take into account projected income. I think it may be against the rules to post specific companies here.

User Stats

Votes
Mark S.
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Saint Paul, MN
Votes |
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Saint Paul, MN
Replied Jul 26 2022, 03:49

@Jen Whitehead You are still going to need to have funds for a down payment, closing costs and reserves for the ramp up period and slow times. In addition, I am guessing that the underwriting process will be a bit more demanding than it may have been in the past, depending on the market, given the slow down in STR income this year vs. last.

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
John Underwood
Pro Member
#1 Short-Term & Vacation Rental Discussions Contributor
  • Investor
  • Greer, SC
Votes |
Pro Member
#1 Short-Term & Vacation Rental Discussions Contributor
  • Investor
  • Greer, SC
Replied Jul 26 2022, 05:55

Difficult to prove it for your property. You can provide comps on similar properties.

Possibly talk to PM's and owners in your area.

User Stats

Votes
Jack Mawer
  • Lender
Votes |
  • Lender
Replied Jul 26 2022, 07:18

I think it would be hard to prove cash flow to the bank, you may want to look into a DSCR loan. Most lenders can use projections to underwrite the deal. Good luck!

User Stats

Votes
Cameron Fowler
  • New to Real Estate
  • Indianapolis, IN
Votes |
  • New to Real Estate
  • Indianapolis, IN
Replied Jul 26 2022, 09:35
Quote from @Jen Whitehead:

There are lenders that are knowledgeable about short term rentals and their bread and butter are DSCR loans that will take into account projected income. I think it may be against the rules to post specific companies here.

Thank you Jen this is very helpful.