Short-Term & Vacation Rental Discussions

User Stats

Votes
Todd Chandler
Pro Member
  • Realtor
  • Helen, GA
Votes |
Anyone Have An STR In Georgia With A Direct Booking Website?

Todd Chandler
Pro Member
  • Realtor
  • Helen, GA
Posted Jul 27 2022, 11:46

We have an STR in Northeast GA that is currently listed on AirBnB and VRBO. I'm using Guesty for Hosts and I'm playing around with the website builder and I'm strongly considering also offering a direct booking option. I know that AirBnB and VRBO collect and remit the taxes for me on those platforms, but that burden would obviously shift to me for the direct bookings. It is my understanding that I have to collect and remit the following:

7% Georgia Sales Tax

8% Occupancy Tax (This is what the county that we operate in requires. I realize that this number can be different depending on the county)

$5 Per Night Georgia Innkeeper Fee

Is there anything I'm missing or overlooking?

User Stats

Votes
Bonnie Low
Pro Member
#1 Medium-Term Rentals Contributor
  • Investor
  • Cottonwood, CA
Votes |
Pro Member
#1 Medium-Term Rentals Contributor
  • Investor
  • Cottonwood, CA
Replied Jul 27 2022, 15:31

I think you're smart to consider direct bookings. Given all the changes in Airbnb's platform, many hosts are finding themselves in terrible situations when they're relying solely on OTAs. Before you do anything, I'd recommend you read Mark Simpson's book The Book Direct Playbook. It has everything you need and more to successfully switch to or add direct booking to you management options.

User Stats

Votes
Alexandra Rolon
  • Investor
  • Atlanta, GA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Atlanta, GA
Replied Jul 28 2022, 18:29

Direct booking is great, just make sure you manage all the calendars otherwise you might find yourself in a pickle. To find the taxes and fees, try to make a reseevation in your area, then under price detail select more info. Here is an example of charges in midtown

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Replied Aug 4 2022, 19:40

how about hiring a developer to get your own booking platform ?