Skip to content
Short-Term & Vacation Rental Discussions

User Stats

Votes

AirDnA Revenue Question

Posted Aug 1 2022, 21:33

Hey,

I tried to search for this Q before asking but didn't find anything.

I was using AirDnA to look at some properties, and I found a few properties outperforming its comps by a good amount. I got to looking and the property keeps its calendar open. Anything past 3 months is set to $800 a night. Nights less than 3 months have rates from $600-$200 ($200 is for a very slow month).

Question is does AirDnA take things like this into account or is the revenue skewed because they are letting these $800 nights skew the calculations.

Thanks!

User Stats

Votes
Michael Baum
Pro Member
#1 Short-Term & Vacation Rental Discussions Contributor
  • Olympia, WA
Votes |
Pro Member
#1 Short-Term & Vacation Rental Discussions Contributor
  • Olympia, WA
Replied Aug 1 2022, 22:01

Hey @Frank David Falor, that is an excellent question. I have always been a bit suspicious of their results depending on the region. AirDNA in our region showed our home well over what it should have rented for. You might have a point in this.

I will say that it is doubtful that you could get an answer from the AirDNA guys but it is most likely trade secrets.

I guess I always assumed they used actual rental nights and not future dates, but you never know.

User Stats

Votes
Lauren Kormylo
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Phoenix, AZ
Votes |
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Phoenix, AZ
Replied Aug 1 2022, 22:44

They're not counting the revenue of future dates that haven't booked yet.  The revenue total is for the past 12 months, actual dates that booked on AirBnb or VRBO.  However, they cannot tell if the owner blocked off a week for repairs, their own use, or whatever.  Or rented to someone outside of AirBnb or VRBO. 

It sounds like that property owner is using a strategy where someone who wants to plan way ahead will pay more to be sure they get the dates they want. 

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes