• Property Manager
  • Sturgeon Bay, WI
Votes |
Door county short term rental

Buddie J Houser
  • Property Manager
  • Sturgeon Bay, WI
Posted Aug 4 2022, 10:09

Looking to invest or co-host I’m door county Wisconsin.  Anyone have any advise. 

User Stats

Votes
Andrew Street
Pro Member
Votes |
Pro Member
Replied Aug 4 2022, 10:28

@Buddie J Houser I'd love to help out. I just pm'd you!

User Stats

Votes
Eric Gabbard
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
  • Austin, TX
Replied Aug 8 2022, 09:34

Numbers look great in Door County. I used to go out there as a kid and it's a really nice area. I'd love to hear about someone's experience doing an STR out there.

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Kenneth Rolfe
Pro Member
  • Boise, ID
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Boise, ID
Replied Aug 8 2022, 14:41

I just closed on my first property in Door County back in June and so far everything has been going great!  We were worried with the timing of the closing and missing out on the peak season, but bookings started rolling in pretty quick and we should finish the summer pretty much right at our projections for July/August despite the late start.

The biggest challenge was finding a property.  Not much goes on the market and like many places we were competing with many other offers.  Ultimately our realtor found us a place off market.

My advice is to run your numbers and determine what you’re looking for in a property.  Get qualified with a lender so you know what you’re working with.  Then go to work looking for that property and be patient as it might take awhile.

If you have specific questions let me know.

User Stats

Votes
William Beck
  • Realtor
  • Branson, MO
Votes |
  • Realtor
  • Branson, MO
Replied Aug 8 2022, 16:23

Make sure to check out the regulations. I remember Door County being super regulated when I was an analyst for STR Buyers.

User Stats

Votes
Kenneth Rolfe
Pro Member
  • Boise, ID
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Boise, ID
Replied Aug 8 2022, 19:15
Quote from @William Beck:

Make sure to check out the regulations. I remember Door County being super regulated when I was an analyst for STR Buyers.

This is a great point, and some of the villages are still evolving, so definitely do your homework and make sure the regulations in place work for what you’re trying to do.  Sevastopol in particular is a place we ended up staying away from due to their regulations.

User Stats

Votes
Replied Aug 8 2022, 19:30
Quote from @William Beck:

Buddie,
William is right. In fact, it is very important you look at the relevant regulations first, as they could significantly alter your business plans. For example, Sevastopol passed an ordinance that restricts stay durations, effectively prohibiting short-stay, high turnover properties. Other municipalities also passed new str ordinances recently.

feel free to reach out if you have specific questions. Good luck!

User Stats

Votes
Buddie J Houser
  • Property Manager
  • Sturgeon Bay, WI
Votes |
  • Property Manager
  • Sturgeon Bay, WI
Replied Aug 10 2022, 06:15

@Kenneth Rolfe Thanks for the update.  It seems to be a great area.  We are specifically looking around in Sturgeon Bay. I’ll keep you updated how things go! 

User Stats

Votes
Buddie J Houser
  • Property Manager
  • Sturgeon Bay, WI
Votes |
  • Property Manager
  • Sturgeon Bay, WI
Replied Aug 10 2022, 06:17

@William Beck That is a good point.  Thanks!  I have looked at Sturgeon Bay and it doesn’t seem like anything extreme here so far, other than your standard permits.  

User Stats

Votes
Paul Miller
  • Investor
  • Grayslake, IL
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Grayslake, IL
Replied Sep 26 2022, 09:56

@Kenneth Rolfe can you recommend a realtor in Door County who understands STRs and is good with remote buyers?