Skip to content
Short-Term & Vacation Rental Discussions

User Stats

Votes

Short term rental with out house as bathroom

Andrew R Borrego
Posted Aug 5 2022, 12:48

This property has an out house with no inside bathroom, it’s really aesthetic but wondering how much that might effect my rental rate or cost/day

User Stats

Votes
Dominic A.
  • Property Manager
  • Nova Scotia
Votes |
  • Property Manager
  • Nova Scotia
Replied Aug 5 2022, 13:10

Quite a bit. 

Not a total dealbreaker though; you will want to make sure it's clearly laid out in the listing and check out some alternative STR sites that cater to nature and camping clientele (they will be your most successful and understanding guests and will appreciate the aesthetic).

If you can upgrade the outhouse or set something up inside, bonus points for that. The toilet itself would be the first focus if there's no running water or compost type system (aka just a bucket or hole in the ground); try to find a better system/upgrade right away. Keep maintenance in mind as well; who's cleaning this thing...you may need to pay extra/look harder if it's a tough job.

Once your toilet is A+ create a nice path, add some lights overhead, and really lean into the "aesthetic" so it seems like a fun "adventure" to not have an in-house toilet for a few days.

If you can't find comps in the area/state maybe start looking at camping rates in the area and build out from that.

Your turnover rate will likely be higher as well; many folks will do the math on how many days they want to go outside to use the bathroom. You should factor that into your budget and strategy, but likely not the nightly rate.

User Stats

Votes
Michael Baum
Pro Member
#1 Short-Term & Vacation Rental Discussions Contributor
  • Olympia, WA
Votes |
Pro Member
#1 Short-Term & Vacation Rental Discussions Contributor
  • Olympia, WA
Replied Aug 5 2022, 14:58

Well that is interesting. Like @Dominic A. said, you could do OK with eco travelers if you market it correctly. 

New Western logo
New Western
|
Sponsored
Exclusive Off-Market Properties For Your Investment Strategies The Largest Private Source of Investment Properties In The Nation. Find Your Next Rehab Project

User Stats

Votes
Chris Seveney
Pro Member
#2 All Forums Contributor
  • Investor
  • Virginia
Votes |
Pro Member
#2 All Forums Contributor
  • Investor
  • Virginia
Replied Aug 5 2022, 15:12

@Andrew R Borrego

Depends where it is located and what the nightly rate is. If it’s near areas where people camp - not a big deal

If it’s in an area where all the other assets have bathroom - it will hit it hard and I know your user base will be significantly reduced

User Stats

Votes
Nathan Gesner
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
ModeratorReplied Aug 6 2022, 05:29
Quote from @Andrew R Borrego:

This property has an out house with no inside bathroom, it’s really aesthetic but wondering how much that might effect my rental rate or cost/day

Distance to the outhouse could be a major factor, as is quality of the build, cleanliness, etc.

I had an outhouse for the first five years of my life, no indoor plumbing. Other kids always wanted to stay over so they could see it!

• Property Manager Wyoming (#12599)

American West Realty & Management Logo

User Stats

Votes
Mike Dymski#5 Investor Mindset Contributor
  • Investor
  • Greenville, SC
Votes |
Mike Dymski#5 Investor Mindset Contributor
  • Investor
  • Greenville, SC
Replied Aug 6 2022, 05:44

Regardless of the comparables, I recommend adding a bathroom.  If outhouses are abnormal for the area, it will greatly impact your rates and occupancy.  If outhouses are normal, you can outsell everyone if you add a bathroom.