• Accountant
  • MN
Votes |
Should I build a Tiny Home on my Personal Property

Phil C.
  • Accountant
  • MN
Posted Aug 16 2022, 08:08

I am considering building a Supplemental Living Unit on my 10 acre property. I live on this property in a "normie" house. But I have a lot of extra land with some fun features like an fruit tree orchard and forest. I have never done STR before so I was thinking this would be a good way to dip my toes in. It would be eaiser to manage since I would be living 300 ft away, I could add equity to my current property, and I could depreciate my supplemental building.

Specifically I was looking at something like....https://denoutdoors.com/collec...   I really like the look and would hire a local buidler. 

Any thoughts, potential pitfalls, or advice for someone who has never done something liek this before.

User Stats

Votes
Carolyn Fuller
  • Cambridge, MA
Votes |
  • Cambridge, MA
Replied Aug 16 2022, 09:11

This is just the kind of Airbnb I enjoy staying in. Assuming you are in an area that attracts hikers and other outdoorsy people, you should do well. If you enjoy being in the hospitality business, you should do even better. 

User Stats

Votes
Lien Vuong
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Boston, MA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Boston, MA
Replied Aug 16 2022, 10:33

If you're going to build it properly with a foundation I would get it fully permitted and OKed by the city because it will become an asset when you sell your home. If you're looking for a temporary build, it would be easier to do an airstreamer style and just flop it into the parcel and you have limited lead time to start and also resale that trailer in the future. 

The Elle Group Logo
BiggerPockets logo
Find, Vet and Invest in Syndications
|
BiggerPockets
PassivePockets will help you find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
Bruce Woodruff
Pro Member
#4 All Forums Contributor
  • Contractor/Investor/Consultant
  • West Valley Phoenix
Votes |
Pro Member
#4 All Forums Contributor
  • Contractor/Investor/Consultant
  • West Valley Phoenix
Replied Aug 16 2022, 16:14

Sounds good.....But you'd have to get it done all legal like, permits and all....Have you priced it out yet?

User Stats

Votes
Nathan Atkinson
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Blaine MN
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Blaine MN
Replied Aug 29 2022, 12:05

This sounds like it could be a good idea! What city are you planning to do this in? 

User Stats

Votes
Joseph Medina
  • Houston, Tx
Votes |
  • Houston, Tx
Replied Aug 30 2022, 09:18
Quote from @Lien Vuong:

If you're going to build it properly with a foundation I would get it fully permitted and OKed by the city because it will become an asset when you sell your home. If you're looking for a temporary build, it would be easier to do an airstreamer style and just flop it into the parcel and you have limited lead time to start and also resale that trailer in the future. 

man i like this idea. that's some serious low hanging fruit! 

User Stats

Votes
Phil C.
  • Accountant
  • MN
Votes |
  • Accountant
  • MN
Replied Sep 28 2022, 07:41

So the city only allows one ADU (Accesory Dwelling Unit) which cannot be rented out. So I can't do it. I am surprised since I live in a fairly rural area. Frustrating but Mr Government says "no."

Next plan is to find some nearby land and build or renovate and rent that out and use it persoanlly for 14 days of the year. 

User Stats

Votes
Heather S.
  • Saint Paul, MN
Votes |
  • Saint Paul, MN
Replied Dec 22 2022, 18:58

I've actually been looking at something like a tiny home (or two) as a second home aka cabin..  Total preliminary search - but there is a company in MN I was doing some research on. https://www.yardhomesmn.com/ti...