Short-Term & Vacation Rental Discussions

User Stats

Votes
Esther Rosenberg
Votes |
Accountant familiar with short term rental tax rules

Esther Rosenberg
Posted Sep 26 2022, 07:55

I am looking for an accountant who is familiar with short term rental tax rules. This will be my first year dealing with this and I want to know what to be aware of when running my rental. Details like how to file, and what to avoid, like length of stays etc. I don't want to arrive at tax season and realize that if only I knew XYZ, I could have avoided certain taxes...

I would appreciate any recommendations of an accountant that can help with this. I am located in Wilmington, NC.

Thank you!

User Stats

Votes
Replied Sep 26 2022, 08:50

Bump!

User Stats

Votes
Leslie Anne Morris
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Smoky Mountains, TN
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Smoky Mountains, TN
Replied Sep 26 2022, 08:51

learnlikeacpa.com this is Ryan Bakke. There are many threads were others are recommended so do a search!

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Eric Yu
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Seattle, WA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Seattle, WA
Replied Sep 26 2022, 10:13

Ryan Bakke is pretty good. Another person to consider is Tony Hoong (https://thecpadude.com/).

User Stats

Votes
Ryan Moyer
  • Property Manager
  • Orlando Kissimmee, Davenport
Votes |
  • Property Manager
  • Orlando Kissimmee, Davenport
Replied Sep 26 2022, 10:25

I just signed up with TrueBooks, which is Ryan Pineda's (featured on a few BP podcasts) company.  He's not a CPA, but it's the CPA company he created to do his taxes.

It's expensive, and I am just getting started so I can't say good or bad yet, but throwing the name out there as they are very real estate focused.

User Stats

Votes
Replied Jan 10 2023, 18:00

Hey Ryan I was considering truebooks as well. You said they are quite expensive. Do you mind sharing how expensive?