Skip to content
Short-Term & Vacation Rental Discussions

User Stats

Votes
Yna P.
  • UK
Votes |
What are your Opinions on Virginia's New Tax Collection?

Yna P.
  • UK
Posted Oct 5 2022, 00:23

Hi fellow pocketeers,

I'm writing about Virginia's recent tax & remittance law and would like to learn about your thoughts: https://news.airbnb.com/suppor...

Will this affect tourists' preferences due to the taxes? Thanks!

User Stats

Votes
Natalia Barriuso
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Lafayette, IN
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Lafayette, IN
Replied Oct 5 2022, 03:07
Hello Yna, I think this is a way to make the short term rental business model recognized as an asset to this communities. Airbnb has already been collecting the taxes so, there is no change there, just the recognition from the local government that this is a good thing for them. I think it is a move in the positive direction for short term rental owners.

User Stats

Votes
John Underwood
Pro Member
#1 Short-Term & Vacation Rental Discussions Contributor
  • Investor
  • Greer, SC
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Greer, SC
Replied Oct 5 2022, 05:12
Quote from @Natalia Barriuso:
Hello Yna, I think this is a way to make the short term rental business model recognized as an asset to this communities. Airbnb has already been collecting the taxes so, there is no change there, just the recognition from the local government that this is a good thing for them. I think it is a move in the positive direction for short term rental owners.

I agree.

The government is embracing STR'S and taxing them. This would be a good area to own a STR.

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Chase Hoover
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Staunton, VA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Staunton, VA
Replied Oct 5 2022, 06:46

Love it! Those of us who have been playing by the rules and supporting our local municipalities benefit with less paperwork each month. Those who have been skirting by and not paying their taxes will now have to pay their fair share whether they like it or not, providing more tax revenue for marketing efforts to further drive tourism. Here in the Shenandoah Valley, most jurisdictions are very STR-friendly as tourism is a key driver of our economy, and this agreement with the Commonwealth of Virginia has now solidified that even further.

User Stats

Votes
Michael Baum
Pro Member
  • Olympia, WA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Olympia, WA
Replied Oct 6 2022, 12:52

Any time a county or state moves to something like this I think it bodes well. It means that they are moving to normalizing STR's in communities.

User Stats

Votes
Replied Oct 6 2022, 14:38

Page county is going to see a lot more money coming in.  The numbers will be big.  Should be interesting.  I'm really glad because doing the math on my properties each month was a big pain.  And Page county wouldn't accept my online checking account for payment; so I was always paying credit card fees for this.  Good stuff.

User Stats

Votes
William Arrington
  • Gainesville, VA
Votes |
  • Gainesville, VA
Replied Oct 6 2022, 16:25

I think its a good thing and I know there are a few people around my STR's that have been skirting this in a few ways so it balances the playing field.

User Stats

Votes
Yna P.
  • UK
Votes |
  • UK
Replied Oct 6 2022, 18:14

Thank you all for your insights!