Skip to content
Short-Term & Vacation Rental Discussions

User Stats

Votes
Chris Lai
  • Investor
  • Los Angeles
Votes |
Anyone with STRs or MTRs in Tempe / Phoenix?

Chris Lai
  • Investor
  • Los Angeles
Posted Oct 30 2022, 21:33

Hi - I'll be in town for a few weeks to check out properties and set up an STR. I've had MTRs in Tempe for a couple years now.

For those that have STRs and aren't luxury (not in Scottsdale), have your bookings gone down more than 20% this year?  My STRs were ok this year but I've projected conservatively. 

MTRs have done well for me but wanted to test out peak season STR. If you have any questions about MTRs and how I set that up, let me know!

Lastly, if you are open to meeting up - chat RE or anything, I can host something in Nov. Cheers!

User Stats

Votes
Nathan Gesner
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
ModeratorReplied Oct 31 2022, 05:38
Quote from @Chris Lai:

Go to NETWORK at the top of your screen and you can search for other investors and investment groups in your area. You can also check meetup.com or search facebook for real estate investment groups, clubs, or meetings in your area.

• Property Manager Wyoming (#12599)

American West Realty & Management Logo

User Stats

Votes
Mick Hofmann
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Scottsdale, AZ
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Scottsdale, AZ
Replied Nov 1 2022, 16:58

@Chris Lai most of the people with STRs are seeing a slow down in the Phx area. In fact there are a lot going up for sale for this reason or being transitioned into LTR. I think it would be a good pivot to STR for the high months but then pivot back to MTR after that. I just went live with a STR in Tempe a month ago. It is getting booked, but not as well as we projected.

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Chris Lai
  • Investor
  • Los Angeles
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Los Angeles
Replied Nov 7 2022, 21:21
Quote from @Mick Hofmann:

@Chris Lai most of the people with STRs are seeing a slow down in the Phx area. In fact there are a lot going up for sale for this reason or being transitioned into LTR. I think it would be a good pivot to STR for the high months but then pivot back to MTR after that. I just went live with a STR in Tempe a month ago. It is getting booked, but not as well as we projected.

how would you pivot back into MTR? using airbnb/vrbo with 30 day min? Or another platform?

User Stats

Votes
Monzerrat Ruvalcaba
Pro Member
  • New to Real Estate
  • Mesa, AZ
Votes |
Pro Member
  • New to Real Estate
  • Mesa, AZ
Replied Nov 8 2022, 09:54

Hi Chris,

We have a couple of STR's (arbitrage) in Phoenix and Tempe. We have seen it slower than expected but still get about 90%+ of bookings. With Superbowl and upcoming events, I would keep STRs and then transition to MTR's after peak season.

User Stats

Votes
Mick Hofmann
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Scottsdale, AZ
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Scottsdale, AZ
Replied Nov 8 2022, 13:00
Quote from @Chris Lai:
Quote from @Mick Hofmann:

how would you pivot back into MTR? using airbnb/vrbo with 30 day min? Or another platform?

I would be reaching out to insurance placement agencies, traveling nurse platforms, etc and be building relationships with them so you get added into their database and they seek you when they need a placement