• Sacramento, CA
Votes |
I host over 100 AirBnB Listings in CA and AZ **Ask Me Anything**

Noah Laker
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Sacramento, CA
Posted Oct 31 2022, 20:35

Hey BP Gang,

I'm a real estate broker in Sacramento, California (23 yo) and I host about 125 properties on AirBnB and VRBO, mostly in Sacramento, CA and Phoenix/Scottsdale, AZ. 

I am new to BiggerPockets but am hoping to help out as much as possible! I have followed quite a few STR threads and I will continue to monitor this one if anyone could use some general or technical advice. My partner and I are quite savvy with the software platforms if that helps. :-)

So ask me anything! I am here to help. 

User Stats

Votes
Noah Laker
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Sacramento, CA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Sacramento, CA
Replied Nov 7 2022, 10:41
Quote from @Michael Nelson:

Hi Noah,

What do you guys use for a channel manager when listing on multiple booking platforms? I’d like to link my Airbnb, vrbo and direct booking together so they sync as dates are booked. 

Hospitable is the ideal software for your needs. Cheap and very user friendly, and you can link platforms together. 

User Stats

Votes
Replied Nov 7 2022, 11:16

Thank you Noah!

BiggerPockets logo
Find, Vet and Invest in Syndications
|
BiggerPockets
PassivePockets will help you find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
Isaac Chung
Pro Member
Votes |
Pro Member
Replied Nov 7 2022, 14:10

Hello Noah, how did you first get started on your STR portfolio and how did you accelerate growing your portfolio?

User Stats

Votes
Khoi Le
Votes |
Quote from @Noah Laker:
Quote from @Khoi Le:

I have a few! Thanks so much for doing this!

1. Do you use a pricing software and which one?

2. How do you handle guest requests while you are out of the state?

3. What suggestions do you have for bedding, mattress, towels, etc? Or best place to purchase?

4. Do you have a separate LLC for each property or is everything one umbrella?

5. How much do you charge for management?

6. What keypads do you use?

7. How do you manage places that have gates and need remote controls?

8. What do you do about negative reviews?

9. What is your maintenance routine? do you have someone check on the property every 6 months? do you have bug spray every month? Landscaping? etc.

10. What do you expect or have the owners do? For example: Do they need to take out the trash bins? Do the owners do the laundry and put towels etc in a closet for the cleaners to put out? Do the owners supply things like soaps, dishwasher, laundry detergent? If they are out of town how do they get that to the property?

Hey Khoi, it's my pleasure, and thanks for interacting. 

1) We run our pricing through PriceLabs, with some daily human intervention. 
2) We have local and offshore staff who handle all guest concerns. I mostly focus on company administration and sales. 
3) Zinus mattresses are great. Amazon is usually the best place to get towels and bedding, you really can't beat the prices:quality ratio. We used to order pallets from a direct supplier before Covid interrupted their supply chain.
4) We have separate LLC's under our investment corporation for properties that we OWN. For arbitrage and cohosting we have things under a separate corporation. (Talk to a lawyer)
5) We charge 20%, or as low as 15% for large clients - we call this a "preferred rate."
6) We use RemoteLock hardware and software; at our scale the other brands like Schlage and August start to glitch and are quite unreliable. 
7) Those suck. But when we do have them, we just send automatic reminders to the guest 2-3x during their stay to be sure to leave the thing before they depart.
8) Try to have them removed, otherwise leave a public response. 
9) We have landscapers and pool maintenance and pest for all properties as needed, on recurring schedules which vary by climate (AZ / CA). We also have a quarterly preventative maintenance schedule which includes air filters, batteries, lightbulbs, water filters, kitchenware & supplies, cleaning detail, and curb appeal.

10) All they have to do is pay the cleaning and maintenance bills. We pretty much handle everything else. I started a cleaning company in February of 2021 which has now done over 10,000 turnover cleanings. We have a warehouse with racks and bins full of everything you could ever dream of as an Airbnb host.

Hope this helps man :)

This is beautiful, I have ten units coming up, want to expand to New Mexico? I have a ton of potential clients too for you.

User Stats

Votes
Replied Nov 8 2022, 15:31
Quote from @Paul Sandhu:
Quote from @Richard Anderson:

@Paul Sandhu

is the dead body question from experience?

Yes. There were three dead bodies on three separate occasions.

It sounds like you have more experience with this than most will ever claim. @Paul Sandhu what did *you* do in this situation?

User Stats

Votes
Paul Sandhu#4 Short-Term & Vacation Rental Discussions Contributor
  • Investor
  • The worst town to live in, KS
Votes |
  • Investor
Replied Nov 8 2022, 17:13
Quote from @Monte Riding:
Quote from @Paul Sandhu:
Quote from @Richard Anderson:

@Paul Sandhu

is the dead body question from experience?

Yes. There were three dead bodies on three separate occasions.

It sounds like you have more experience with this than most will ever claim. @Paul Sandhu what did *you* do in this situation?

One dead guy renting from me was found by some railroad tracks in the middle of winter.  He had no relatives.  Police called me.  I told them to call the Veterans Administration.  I had to clean up all his belongings.

Next dead guy was experiencing a heart attack in the front yard.  I saw the person in distress and blew it off because the boss of the work group he was with said everyone is going home for Thanksgiving.  This was around 5 pm on the day after Thanksgiving.  I was replacing a garbage disposer and had to make a beer run.  Person in distress was still flailing around in the yard.  I called 911 and they took him away in an ambulance.  He passed away.  His co-workers cleaned everything up.  They cleaned it up so good that his wife couldn't get his body released from the morgue.

Dead guy number 3 was diabetic. His blood sugar was 500. He died in the hospital. I just had to clean out his place and kept all his furniture to convert the place to an STR. Is that brutal or practical?

User Stats

Votes
Noah Laker
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Sacramento, CA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Sacramento, CA
Replied Nov 9 2022, 09:11
Quote from @Isaac Chung:

Hello Noah, how did you first get started on your STR portfolio and how did you accelerate growing your portfolio?

Got started as a young leasing agent doing rental arbitrage with my buddy. Next thing you know I got my real estate license, and later my brokers license, I traveled to different states to meet with clients, I aggressively followed up with every Facebook inquiry and referral I could get my hands on... Gumption, dedication, and a sprinkle of luck. 

User Stats

Votes
Noah Laker
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Sacramento, CA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Sacramento, CA
Replied Nov 9 2022, 09:12
Quote from @Khoi Le:
Quote from @Noah Laker:
Quote from @Khoi Le:

I have a few! Thanks so much for doing this!

1. Do you use a pricing software and which one?

2. How do you handle guest requests while you are out of the state?

3. What suggestions do you have for bedding, mattress, towels, etc? Or best place to purchase?

4. Do you have a separate LLC for each property or is everything one umbrella?

5. How much do you charge for management?

6. What keypads do you use?

7. How do you manage places that have gates and need remote controls?

8. What do you do about negative reviews?

9. What is your maintenance routine? do you have someone check on the property every 6 months? do you have bug spray every month? Landscaping? etc.

10. What do you expect or have the owners do? For example: Do they need to take out the trash bins? Do the owners do the laundry and put towels etc in a closet for the cleaners to put out? Do the owners supply things like soaps, dishwasher, laundry detergent? If they are out of town how do they get that to the property?

Hey Khoi, it's my pleasure, and thanks for interacting. 

1) We run our pricing through PriceLabs, with some daily human intervention. 
2) We have local and offshore staff who handle all guest concerns. I mostly focus on company administration and sales. 
3) Zinus mattresses are great. Amazon is usually the best place to get towels and bedding, you really can't beat the prices:quality ratio. We used to order pallets from a direct supplier before Covid interrupted their supply chain.
4) We have separate LLC's under our investment corporation for properties that we OWN. For arbitrage and cohosting we have things under a separate corporation. (Talk to a lawyer)
5) We charge 20%, or as low as 15% for large clients - we call this a "preferred rate."
6) We use RemoteLock hardware and software; at our scale the other brands like Schlage and August start to glitch and are quite unreliable. 
7) Those suck. But when we do have them, we just send automatic reminders to the guest 2-3x during their stay to be sure to leave the thing before they depart.
8) Try to have them removed, otherwise leave a public response. 
9) We have landscapers and pool maintenance and pest for all properties as needed, on recurring schedules which vary by climate (AZ / CA). We also have a quarterly preventative maintenance schedule which includes air filters, batteries, lightbulbs, water filters, kitchenware & supplies, cleaning detail, and curb appeal.

10) All they have to do is pay the cleaning and maintenance bills. We pretty much handle everything else. I started a cleaning company in February of 2021 which has now done over 10,000 turnover cleanings. We have a warehouse with racks and bins full of everything you could ever dream of as an Airbnb host.

Hope this helps man :)

This is beautiful, I have ten units coming up, want to expand to New Mexico? I have a ton of potential clients too for you.

Hi Khoi,

Yes this is exactly how we got started in Arizona, where we now have about 90 properties and a huge, dedicated team. I would be happy to come out to New Mexico personally and onboard your portfolio. DM :)

User Stats

Votes
Susan Thelen
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Mesa, AZ
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Mesa, AZ
Replied Nov 9 2022, 17:00

I recently heard that Scottsdale is going to be putting ordinances in place for AirBnB's. What do you know about this?

User Stats

Votes
Noah Laker
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Sacramento, CA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Sacramento, CA
Replied Nov 13 2022, 14:15
Quote from @Susan Thelen:

I recently heard that Scottsdale is going to be putting ordinances in place for AirBnB's. What do you know about this?

Quite a bit, as my VP sits on the Scottsdale STRA board sponsored by RentResponsibly. It's not a huge deal, basically just gave to get a permit in January 2023 for $250. Have to install NoiseAware or Minut devices. Have to screen for sex offenders (Airbnb does this for you, supposedly, but most other platforms don't). 

A lot of people are freaking out about pool regulations but actually it's easier to comply than people think. But I save that one for my clients. ;P

User Stats

Votes
William Coulter
  • Real Estate Professional
  • Stockton, CA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Professional
  • Stockton, CA
Replied Dec 3 2022, 16:11
Quote from @Noah Laker:

Hey BP Gang,

I am looking to get into the short term rental market. Lake Tahoe seems like a good place to start. Please contact me so that we can talk about the process. I would be looking to lease properties and not buy just yet. 

Thanks,

I'm a real estate broker in Sacramento, California (23 yo) and I host about 125 properties on AirBnB and VRBO, mostly in Sacramento, CA and Phoenix/Scottsdale, AZ. 

I am new to BiggerPockets but am hoping to help out as much as possible! I have followed quite a few STR threads and I will continue to monitor this one if anyone could use some general or technical advice. My partner and I are quite savvy with the software platforms if that helps. :-)

User Stats

Votes
Mike Hern
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Scottsdale Austin Tuktoyaktuk
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Scottsdale Austin Tuktoyaktuk
Replied Dec 3 2022, 16:42
Quote from @Noah Laker:
Quote from @Mike Dymski:

What is your average occupancy rate and ADR in Phoenix from Oct-Mar and from Apr-Sep?  Thanks for posting.

Oct-Mar is upwards of 90%

Apr-Sep is closer to 75%

Ah, what is occupancy in June, July, Aug in AZ? 
Are these condos or houses?
BiggerPockets logo
Meet Investor-Friendly Agents
|
BiggerPockets
Network with top investor-friendly agents who can help you find, analyze, and close your next deal.

User Stats

Votes
  • Investor
Votes |
  • Investor
Replied Dec 3 2022, 16:42

What do you do if you find a bunch of dried blood in the back yard of an STR this time of the year?

User Stats

Votes
Noah Laker
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Sacramento, CA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Sacramento, CA
Replied Dec 3 2022, 17:25
Quote from @Paul Sandhu:

What do you do if you find a bunch of dried blood in the back yard of an STR this time of the year?

Um... Call the police possibly... How much blood are we talking about LOL. Bleach?

User Stats

Votes
Noah Laker
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Sacramento, CA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Sacramento, CA
Replied Dec 3 2022, 17:26
Quote from @Mike Hern:
Quote from @Noah Laker:
Quote from @Mike Dymski:

What is your average occupancy rate and ADR in Phoenix from Oct-Mar and from Apr-Sep?  Thanks for posting.

Oct-Mar is upwards of 90%

Apr-Sep is closer to 75%

Ah, what is occupancy in June, July, Aug in AZ? 
Are these condos or houses?
Mix of condos and houses. Occupancy in summer season (April - September) tends to float more around 75%.

User Stats

Votes
Noah Laker
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Sacramento, CA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Sacramento, CA
Replied Feb 4 2023, 21:29
Quote from @Pretty Khare:
Quote from @Noah Laker:

Hey BP Gang,

Thanks for starting this thread, Noah. Appreciate your offer to help. Are you seeing a slowdown in both occupancy and Average Daily Rates across your listings in the last few Months compared to the same time period last year? How are you planning to prepare your portfolio for the impact of a likely recession in 2023.

Bringing this up again -- things are picking up quite a bit in Phoenix region due to the Super Bowl, Open, and other local events. Not sure how we will fare in summertime but this quarter's revenue will be significant. 

Sacramento region has remained sturdy despite being in the down season. 

User Stats

Votes
Replied Feb 5 2023, 22:14

Hi Noah, what you are doing is amazing! I am super impressed. I am a new real estate investor in Sacramento. I am curious about what the properties in Oak Park do and what the clienteles are. I like downtown and midtown, but Oak Park is always the area that I will avoid. I was thinking about midterm rental by UCD med center, but the Elmhurst area is too expensive, and Oak Park is too dangerous in my mind.

User Stats

Votes
Gordon Cuffe
  • Investor
  • Roseville, CA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Roseville, CA
Replied Feb 6 2023, 09:48

@Noah Laker  How does someone research an area to see if anybody would even rent short term?  I have a friend that owns a house near clear lake and I have no idea if people would stay in short term rentals around there. How do you avoid the crazy party animals in short term rentals?

User Stats

Votes
Dee Bral
Pro Member
Votes |
Pro Member
Replied Feb 6 2023, 11:30

A simpler question here for you given your experience. I am about to start an Air BnB and am concerned about smokers, pets and general odor elimination between guests. Have you ever used an air purifier or ozone generator to get rid of smells? Did that work well? This is for a 1800 square foot single level beach house about 1 block from beach. It often gets humid there and am concerned about potential for mold or mildew smells as well. Will one of those air purifiers work? I'm looking at this on Amazon that our cleaners could use: 

Afloia Air Purifiers for Home Large Room Up to 1076 Ft², Smart APP&Voice Control H13 HEPA Air Purifiers for Bedroom 22 dB, Air Purify Filter for Pets Odor Smoke Dust Mold Pollen, Compatible with Alexa

Thanks in advance for any guidance you can provide!

User Stats

Votes
Noah Laker
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Sacramento, CA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Sacramento, CA
Replied Feb 6 2023, 11:37
Quote from @Lilly Fang:

Hi Noah, what you are doing is amazing! I am super impressed. I am a new real estate investor in Sacramento. I am curious about what the properties in Oak Park do and what the clienteles are. I like downtown and midtown, but Oak Park is always the area that I will avoid. I was thinking about midterm rental by UCD med center, but the Elmhurst area is too expensive, and Oak Park is too dangerous in my mind.

I actually manage a bunch of properties in Oak Park (and midtown / downtown) and they all do very well. CURTIS Park is very up and coming -- Oak Park is gonna take a while to get there but it is very well located as you know. DM me if you want to talk more specific numbers. Your ROI in Oak Park right now on the right property is phenomenal. I'm a Broker if you're in the market. :-)

User Stats

Votes
Noah Laker
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Sacramento, CA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Sacramento, CA
Replied Feb 6 2023, 11:38
Quote from @Gordon Cuffe:

@Noah Laker  How does someone research an area to see if anybody would even rent short term?  I have a friend that owns a house near clear lake and I have no idea if people would stay in short term rentals around there. How do you avoid the crazy party animals in short term rentals?

1st Question: Check out real AirBnB listings in the area, and dig into their calendars / cleaning fees and rates / AirDNA is a good tool for determining seasonal variance, but not much else. Find actual comps directly on the platform and they will hold the answers for you. 

2nd: NoiseAware decibel monitoring, cameras, and minimum 2-5 night stays, depending on the size of the property. We also make guests acknowledge our house rules before confirming, and always require photo ID. 

User Stats

Votes
Noah Laker
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Sacramento, CA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Sacramento, CA
Replied Feb 6 2023, 11:40
Quote from @Dee Bral:

A simpler question here for you given your experience. I am about to start an Air BnB and am concerned about smokers, pets and general odor elimination between guests. Have you ever used an air purifier or ozone generator to get rid of smells? Did that work well? This is for a 1800 square foot single level beach house about 1 block from beach. It often gets humid there and am concerned about potential for mold or mildew smells as well. Will one of those air purifiers work? I'm looking at this on Amazon that our cleaners could use: 

Yes, I own an ozone machine in Sacramento and two in Phoenix. They work to eliminate smoke and cooking odors, to some degree, but be cognizant of the safety instructions! It is NOT SAFE to breathe Ozone. Everybody must be out of the home when you run it. When you go in to turn it off, HOLD YOUR BREATH. 

For humidity, get a dehumidifier. Totally unrelated to Ozone. 

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Replied Feb 6 2023, 12:12

Hi Noah Laker,

I too have recently joined BiggerPockets and hope to contribute from my experiences. I've begun short-term renting through Airbnb and was wondering how you deal with the 1-day tenant rights in California? Here in Tennessee we too have a law that gives tenancy rights after one-night of sleeping over, so long as they have personal belongings with them (clothes, toothbrush, etc.).

My first set of renters stung me on this and didn't leave after their designated stay duration. They ended up staying 3 months, didn't pay a dime in rent, ran up the utilities, destroyed the property, terrorized tenants, and costed me thousands in legal fees to get them out. The situation was even worse, since it was a live-in situation; as I was renting a room out on Airbnb (real-life Pacific Heights experience).

This has cautioned me from ever renting out a property again when laws like this exist. I spoke with the judge who stated that the law was put in place when apartment landlords would accept 1st & last month's rent from new tenants and have them escorted off the property before the traditional 30-day tenancy rights came into play. Airbnb was unable to help because their eviction policy defaults to the eviction laws of the state that you live in.

If anyone else has info on this too, I'd love to hear how to mitigate this problem.

Kind Regards,

Noah Nadeau

User Stats

Votes
Joseph Cooper
  • Contractor
  • Lakeport, CA
Votes |
  • Contractor
  • Lakeport, CA
Replied Feb 6 2023, 15:57
Quote from @Gordon Cuffe:

Gordon, I live in Lake County. There are defiantly air bnbs all around the lake with regular occupancy.  The area can be tricky. Happy to share what I know, refer quality professionals and even do some leg work if you continue to pursue an investment in the area.

User Stats

Votes
Replied Feb 6 2023, 17:53

Why is my listing not getting many views?  I gave adjusted the price daily, changed the main page pic and tried making listing adjustments.  I'm not getting many views.   

i have a property in Tempe, AZ and I have had zero luck getting booked for Superbowl.  

i have hosted for 4 years and have never had this problem until a couple months ago