• Sacramento, CA
Votes |
I host over 100 AirBnB Listings in CA and AZ **Ask Me Anything**

Noah Laker
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Sacramento, CA
Posted Oct 31 2022, 20:35

Hey BP Gang,

I'm a real estate broker in Sacramento, California (23 yo) and I host about 125 properties on AirBnB and VRBO, mostly in Sacramento, CA and Phoenix/Scottsdale, AZ. 

I am new to BiggerPockets but am hoping to help out as much as possible! I have followed quite a few STR threads and I will continue to monitor this one if anyone could use some general or technical advice. My partner and I are quite savvy with the software platforms if that helps. :-)

So ask me anything! I am here to help. 

User Stats

Votes
Nicholas L.
Pro Member
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Pittsburgh
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Pittsburgh
Replied Nov 2 2022, 05:18

@Noah Laker

same question - what's the difference between hosting and managing?

User Stats

Votes
Noah Laker
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Sacramento, CA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Sacramento, CA
Replied Nov 2 2022, 11:23
Quote from @Carlos Ptriawan:
Quote from @Noah Laker:

Hey BP Gang,

I'm a real estate broker in Sacramento, California (23 yo) and I host about 125 properties on AirBnB and VRBO, mostly in Sacramento, CA and Phoenix/Scottsdale, AZ. 

I am new to BiggerPockets but am hoping to help out as much as possible! I have followed quite a few STR threads and I will continue to monitor this one if anyone could use some general or technical advice. My partner and I are quite savvy with the software platforms if that helps. :-)

- Do you manage the property that's owned by someone else ? 
- What is your automation strategy especially cleaning scheduling and dealing with customer requests, esp. at midnight?

Yes, I am a property manager hired by the property owners. My AirBnB company is called WISHSTR.

For cleaning, we use ResortCleaning software and do everything in house. I actually own a cleaning company as well (10k+ cleanings completed!!!)

Customer requests are handled by my 24/7 customer service staff, and we have two staffed portfolios so spillover inquiries can even be handled by a different staff group. 

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Noah Laker
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Sacramento, CA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Sacramento, CA
Replied Nov 2 2022, 11:24
Quote from @Jonathan Feliciano:

@Noah Laker

What is “hosting”? I’ve been seeing this word pop up more frequently on topics related to real estate.

It generally relates to "Hosting" on AirBnB and VRBO, AKA furnished Short Term Rentals. 

User Stats

Votes
Noah Laker
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Sacramento, CA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Sacramento, CA
Replied Nov 2 2022, 11:25
Quote from @Nicholas L.:

@Noah Laker

same question - what's the difference between hosting and managing?

The two words are often used interchangeably in the STR world, but full service property management typically involves tenants and security deposits and asset management. For AirBnB "Co-Hosting," it has a lot more to do with customer service and monitoring the booking platforms, coordinating with cleaners etc.

User Stats

Votes
Mitchell Endicott
  • New to Real Estate
  • Columbus, OH
Votes |
  • New to Real Estate
  • Columbus, OH
Replied Nov 2 2022, 12:47
Quote from @Jonathan Feliciano:

@Noah Laker

What is “hosting”? I’ve been seeing this word pop up more frequently on topics related to real estate.

Hosting is referring to being the owner and operator of a short term rental, like Airbnb. The owner of the rental can be the host or they can outsource someone else to host for a fee or percentage of the income.

User Stats

Votes
Replied Nov 2 2022, 12:52

hi @Noah Laker thanks so much! It looks like you have some arbitrage units. How did you get your first one? I own LTR in Colorado; used to do short term many years ago but am trying to get into arbitrage. I've taken a course and contacted hundreds of places but don't have a unit yet. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!

User Stats

Votes
Ariela H.
  • Investor
  • New Jersey
Votes |
  • Investor
  • New Jersey
Replied Nov 2 2022, 13:07

Hi Noah, could you tell me if you use digital guidebooks for the listings you host?  

User Stats

Votes
Julia Ferris
Pro Member
Votes |
Pro Member
Replied Nov 2 2022, 13:08
Quote from @Noah Laker:
Quote from @Julia Ferris:
Quote from @Noah Laker:

Hey BP Gang,

Thank you!

Do you have a good short term rental agreement?

Hey Julia, here's an agreement you can use and modify if you wish. I am NOT a lawyer and I suggest you show it to your lawyer before using it. 

https://docs.google.com/docume...

User Stats

Votes
Khoi Le
Votes |

I have a few! Thanks so much for doing this!

1. Do you use a pricing software and which one?

2. How do you handle guest requests while you are out of the state?

3. What suggestions do you have for bedding, mattress, towels, etc? Or best place to purchase?

4. Do you have a separate LLC for each property or is everything one umbrella?

5. How much do you charge for management?

6. What keypads do you use?

7. How do you manage places that have gates and need remote controls?

8. What do you do about negative reviews?

9. What is your maintenance routine? do you have someone check on the property every 6 months? do you have bug spray every month? Landscaping? etc.

10. What do you expect or have the owners do? For example: Do they need to take out the trash bins? Do the owners do the laundry and put towels etc in a closet for the cleaners to put out? Do the owners supply things like soaps, dishwasher, laundry detergent? If they are out of town how do they get that to the property?

User Stats

Votes
Steve Bebek
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Central Oregon Coast
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Central Oregon Coast
Replied Nov 2 2022, 16:04

Do you use property managers or software?

Thank you

User Stats

Votes
Noah Laker
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Sacramento, CA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Sacramento, CA
Replied Nov 2 2022, 21:03
Quote from @Carrie Veatch:

hi @Noah Laker thanks so much! It looks like you have some arbitrage units. How did you get your first one? I own LTR in Colorado; used to do short term many years ago but am trying to get into arbitrage. I've taken a course and contacted hundreds of places but don't have a unit yet. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!

We have a course for arbitrage here: WIshstr.com/education

However, I think owning real estate is the best way to go for long term strategic growth. Arbitrage is very unstable and I don't promote it. 

User Stats

Votes
Noah Laker
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Sacramento, CA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Sacramento, CA
Replied Nov 2 2022, 21:04
Quote from @Steve Bebek:

Thank you

For STR I use Hospitable. For LTR I use Buildium, also very familiar with Yardi for large portfolios.

User Stats

Votes
Drew Sygit#2 Managing Your Property Contributor
  • Property Manager
  • Royal Oak, MI
Votes |
Drew Sygit#2 Managing Your Property Contributor
  • Property Manager
  • Royal Oak, MI
Replied Nov 3 2022, 05:40

@Noah Laker can you please outline what softwre you use to manage all this and an overview of your personnel and assigned tasks?

User Stats

Votes
Noah Laker
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Sacramento, CA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Sacramento, CA
Replied Nov 3 2022, 12:44
Quote from @Khoi Le:

I have a few! Thanks so much for doing this!

1. Do you use a pricing software and which one?

2. How do you handle guest requests while you are out of the state?

3. What suggestions do you have for bedding, mattress, towels, etc? Or best place to purchase?

4. Do you have a separate LLC for each property or is everything one umbrella?

5. How much do you charge for management?

6. What keypads do you use?

7. How do you manage places that have gates and need remote controls?

8. What do you do about negative reviews?

9. What is your maintenance routine? do you have someone check on the property every 6 months? do you have bug spray every month? Landscaping? etc.

10. What do you expect or have the owners do? For example: Do they need to take out the trash bins? Do the owners do the laundry and put towels etc in a closet for the cleaners to put out? Do the owners supply things like soaps, dishwasher, laundry detergent? If they are out of town how do they get that to the property?

Hey Khoi, it's my pleasure, and thanks for interacting. 

1) We run our pricing through PriceLabs, with some daily human intervention. 
2) We have local and offshore staff who handle all guest concerns. I mostly focus on company administration and sales. 
3) Zinus mattresses are great. Amazon is usually the best place to get towels and bedding, you really can't beat the prices:quality ratio. We used to order pallets from a direct supplier before Covid interrupted their supply chain.
4) We have separate LLC's under our investment corporation for properties that we OWN. For arbitrage and cohosting we have things under a separate corporation. (Talk to a lawyer)
5) We charge 20%, or as low as 15% for large clients - we call this a "preferred rate."
6) We use RemoteLock hardware and software; at our scale the other brands like Schlage and August start to glitch and are quite unreliable. 
7) Those suck. But when we do have them, we just send automatic reminders to the guest 2-3x during their stay to be sure to leave the thing before they depart.
8) Try to have them removed, otherwise leave a public response. 
9) We have landscapers and pool maintenance and pest for all properties as needed, on recurring schedules which vary by climate (AZ / CA). We also have a quarterly preventative maintenance schedule which includes air filters, batteries, lightbulbs, water filters, kitchenware & supplies, cleaning detail, and curb appeal.

10) All they have to do is pay the cleaning and maintenance bills. We pretty much handle everything else. I started a cleaning company in February of 2021 which has now done over 10,000 turnover cleanings. We have a warehouse with racks and bins full of everything you could ever dream of as an Airbnb host.

Hope this helps man :)

User Stats

Votes
Noah Laker
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Sacramento, CA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Sacramento, CA
Replied Nov 3 2022, 12:48
Quote from @Drew Sygit:

@Noah Laker can you please outline what softwre you use to manage all this and an overview of your personnel and assigned tasks?

Hey Drew, we use the following softwares for STR management:

Hospitable - PMS

ResortCleaning - Tracks cleaning schedule, notes, and photos

PriceLabs - Sets our prices

RemoteLock - Tracks the battery life and connectivity of our smartlock infrastructure

Google Enterprise - Most of our company operations happen within Google, helpful for live collaboration

User Stats

Votes
Steve Bebek
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Central Oregon Coast
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Central Oregon Coast
Replied Nov 3 2022, 13:58
Quote from @Noah Laker:
Quote from @Steve Bebek:

Thank you

Thank you Noah

For STR I use Hospitable. For LTR I use Buildium, also very familiar with Yardi for large portfolios.

User Stats

Votes
James Carlson
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Denver CO | Colorado Springs, CO
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Denver CO | Colorado Springs, CO
Replied Nov 4 2022, 11:45

@Noah Laker

The story in STRs right now is the slight softening of revenues due to an influx of Airbnb properties during the pandemic. I have heard this from our STR investor clients in Colorado. The ones in Denver and Colorado Springs continue to do well, but they've seen a small decline from the crazy numbers of 2020 and 2021. What kind of change have you seen in the properties you manage?

User Stats

Votes
Steve Bebek
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Central Oregon Coast
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Central Oregon Coast
Replied Nov 4 2022, 12:13

Thanks James, I have no STRs at this time. Will be doing 1031 on a LTR and buying a STR.

Thanks for the info.

User Stats

Votes
Steve Bebek
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Central Oregon Coast
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Central Oregon Coast
Replied Nov 4 2022, 12:13
Quote from @Noah Laker:
Quote from @Drew Sygit:

Hey Drew, we use the following softwares for STR management:

Hospitable - PMS

ResortCleaning - Tracks cleaning schedule, notes, and photos

PriceLabs - Sets our prices

RemoteLock - Tracks the battery life and connectivity of our smartlock infrastructure

Google Enterprise - Most of our company operations happen within Google, helpful for live collaboration

Thanks Noah

User Stats

Votes
Replied Nov 5 2022, 09:40

Hey Noah, 

Thanks for posting your advice. 

A few questions, what properties draw in the most revenue/occupancy in Sacramento? 

What are the average occupancy rates? 

Any specific neighborhoods within the region to look into? 

User Stats

Votes
Noah Laker
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Sacramento, CA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Sacramento, CA
Replied Nov 5 2022, 11:56
Quote from @Lovepreet Ralh:

Hey Noah, 

Thanks for posting your advice. 

A few questions, what properties draw in the most revenue/occupancy in Sacramento? 

What are the average occupancy rates? 

Any specific neighborhoods within the region to look into? 

Downtown, Midtown, and Oak Park have all been good ROI in Sacramento. Big properties rented by the room are an underserved niche, so I might try that.

I am a real estate broker here in Sacramento if you want to discuss this acquisition further. :)

User Stats

Votes
Noah Laker
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Sacramento, CA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Sacramento, CA
Replied Nov 5 2022, 11:58
Quote from @James Carlson:

@Noah Laker

The story in STRs right now is the slight softening of revenues due to an influx of Airbnb properties during the pandemic. I have heard this from our STR investor clients in Colorado. The ones in Denver and Colorado Springs continue to do well, but they've seen a small decline from the crazy numbers of 2020 and 2021. What kind of change have you seen in the properties you manage?

It's quite regional. California has remained fairly sturdy, while Scottsdale AZ (no barriers to entry until right now as City Council finally steps in) saw a dramatic drop in April. AZ is now recovering but not quite to the levels we saw last couple years. 

User Stats

Votes
Replied Nov 6 2022, 07:42

@Noah Laker.

Hi Noah. Have you worked with Evolve before? Buying in East Mesa a SFR as I commute each week but will be doing STR on weekends. Advice on good management/cleaning services? Thanks.

User Stats

Votes
Noah Laker
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Sacramento, CA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Sacramento, CA
Replied Nov 6 2022, 13:46
Quote from @Matthew Church:

@Noah Laker.

Hi Noah. Have you worked with Evolve before? Buying in East Mesa a SFR as I commute each week but will be doing STR on weekends. Advice on good management/cleaning services? Thanks.

Hi Matthew,

I manage a number of luxury homes in Mesa, AZ. Evolve is not full service. Their rate is low as is their scope of work. My company WISHSTR is full service, we handle cleaning and maintenance and guest services and everything else. DM me :)

User Stats

Votes
Replied Nov 6 2022, 18:19

Hi Noah,

What do you guys use for a channel manager when listing on multiple booking platforms? I’d like to link my Airbnb, vrbo and direct booking together so they sync as dates are booked.