Short-Term & Vacation Rental Discussions

User Stats

Votes
Willert Morris
Votes |
STR in Desert Hot springs, Ca what are the risks and rules

Willert Morris
Posted Nov 2 2022, 13:46

I did airbnb in NYC for over 5 years, and thinking of doing  short term rentals. I read they are allowed in Desert Hot Springs and have been

looking at mobile homes and condos there.  My sister said there were a lot of gangs  and some crime it being noted for drugs?

I don't want to end up with bad tenants bringing in large groups, and destroying the property.  Is there a airbnb management

company that will screen tenants and handle the housekeeping?   Since I'm new to the  desert don't want to "lose my  shirt"

Pauline

User Stats

Votes
Paul Sandhu#4 Short-Term & Vacation Rental Discussions Contributor
  • Investor
  • The worst town to live in, KS
Votes |
  • Investor
Replied Nov 2 2022, 13:54
Run it the same way you did your Airbnb in NYC.  You don't want to be in hot water in Hot Springs.

User Stats

Votes
Michael Baum
Pro Member
#2 Short-Term & Vacation Rental Discussions Contributor
  • Olympia, WA
Votes |
Pro Member
#2 Short-Term & Vacation Rental Discussions Contributor
  • Olympia, WA
Replied Nov 2 2022, 15:07

Hey @Willert Morris, here is some info on the crime there.

https://www.neighborhoodscout....

Looks pretty dangerous in a lot of the area.

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
  • Investor
Votes |
  • Investor
Replied Nov 2 2022, 15:30
Quote from @Michael Baum:

Hey @Willert Morris, here is some info on the crime there.

https://www.neighborhoodscout....

Looks pretty dangerous in a lot of the area.

It does look pretty bad, and I live in the worst town to live in in Kansas.

User Stats

Votes
Melissa Nash
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Orange County, CA
Votes |
  • Orange County, CA
Replied Nov 2 2022, 16:07

Hi, I bought and sold an STR in Desert Hot springs last year. They do allow STR's. It is an area that is "in the path of progress" yes some areas are high crime and the winds are crazy there- that is why all the turbines are there. The area that I was in, was a good area closer to the freeway. There are A LOT of mobile homes and a lot of golf courses, snowbirds love to come down for winter and golf. So, I would suggest areas in or around the golf courses. There is a lot of building going on and as all the areas around it are starting to cancel STR's I think the demand might go up there and more building will continue to happen.

User Stats

Votes
Melissa Nash
  • Orange County, CA
Votes |
  • Orange County, CA
Replied Nov 2 2022, 16:09

Also, talk to some local Pm's out there.... they will tell you the good areas and what to avoid. I know that Ryson PM has an office there. Reach out to them- always go to the locals, they will have the insider info you need. 

User Stats

Votes
Jason Kudo
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Pasadena, CA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Pasadena, CA
Replied Nov 3 2022, 12:05
Quote from @Willert Morris:

I did airbnb in NYC for over 5 years, and thinking of doing  short term rentals. I read they are allowed in Desert Hot Springs and have been

looking at mobile homes and condos there.  My sister said there were a lot of gangs  and some crime it being noted for drugs?

I don't want to end up with bad tenants bringing in large groups, and destroying the property.  Is there a airbnb management

company that will screen tenants and handle the housekeeping?   Since I'm new to the  desert don't want to "lose my  shirt"

Pauline

Desert Hot Springs does have its "wtf" moments for sure. The better parts of Desert Hot Springs are around the Mission Lakes Country Club and the neighborhoods that hug the foothills. There is also an equestrian area called B Bar H Ranch by the Desert Dunes Golf Club that has a lot of newer development and new construction mixed with older properties needing rehab.