• Real Estate Broker
  • Columbus, OH
Votes |
STR Maximize Bookings

Katie McCartney
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Columbus, OH
Posted Nov 20 2022, 09:53

Hi, all! I have survived my first year as a STR host. I have been using exclusively VRBO to gain guests. I was wondering if you find it is worth the time to expand out to another listing sites like Flipkey? It is the "slow" season for my vacation rental so I was wondering if the bother of syncing calendars is worth the effort?

Thanks for your wisdom!

User Stats

Votes
Ken Boone
  • Investor
  • Greenville, SC
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Greenville, SC
Replied Nov 20 2022, 10:10

IMO you should be on both VRBO and AirBnb ( I say this cringing as I am not a fan of AirBnb).  You are missing out on guests by not using both platforms.  They have some overlap but each platform seems to have its own demographics.  I am about 70/30 VRBO.  But AirBnb guests seem to fill in the gaps, as well as take up more of the last minute bookings.  On those rare occasions that I have  problem guests, it seems they always come from AirBnb as well.  

User Stats

Votes
Andrew Steffens
Pro Member
#3 Short-Term & Vacation Rental Discussions Contributor
  • Tampa, FL
Votes |
Pro Member
#3 Short-Term & Vacation Rental Discussions Contributor
  • Tampa, FL
Replied Nov 20 2022, 10:34
Quote from @Katie McCartney:

Hi, all! I have survived my first year as a STR host. I have been using exclusively VRBO to gain guests. I was wondering if you find it is worth the time to expand out to another listing sites like Flipkey? It is the "slow" season for my vacation rental so I was wondering if the bother of syncing calendars is worth the effort?

Thanks for your wisdom!

I agree with Ken - I am not fan of airbnb as a company but they have the largest market share and if you are not there as will you are doing yourself a disservice.  We are also on a variety of other sites (Marriott/Jetblue/Allegiant) that only work with larger PM companies, but I believe you can get on Booking.com as a property owner.  They also help filling in the gaps.  I hope that helps!

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Kenneth Garrett
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Florida Panhandle/Illinois
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
Replied Nov 20 2022, 10:36

@Katie McCartney

My first year I exclusively used VRBO.  Second year I added Airbnb.  The first Airbnb guest decided to have a family reunion of 20 plus people.  I prefer VRBO, but anything can happen on either platform.  Adding Airbnb will help you get more bookings, most likely.  

User Stats

Votes
John Underwood
Pro Member
#1 Short-Term & Vacation Rental Discussions Contributor
  • Investor
  • Greer, SC
Votes |
Pro Member
#1 Short-Term & Vacation Rental Discussions Contributor
  • Investor
  • Greer, SC
Replied Nov 20 2022, 11:39
Quote from @Ken Boone:

IMO you should be on both VRBO and AirBnb ( I say this cringing as I am not a fan of AirBnb).  You are missing out on guests by not using both platforms.  They have some overlap but each platform seems to have its own demographics.  I am about 70/30 VRBO.  But AirBnb guests seem to fill in the gaps, as well as take up more of the last minute bookings.  On those rare occasions that I have  problem guests, it seems they always come from AirBnb as well.  

My feelings exactly but if you pickup a couple extra bookings from airbnb then it's a good thing.

User Stats

Votes
Katie McCartney
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Columbus, OH
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Columbus, OH
Replied Nov 20 2022, 14:16

Thanks!  I'll take it under consideration.

User Stats

Votes
Replied Nov 20 2022, 16:09
Quote from @Kenneth Garrett:

@Katie McCartney

My first year I exclusively used VRBO.  Second year I added Airbnb.  The first Airbnb guest decided to have a family reunion of 20 plus people.  I prefer VRBO, but anything can happen on either platform.  Adding Airbnb will help you get more bookings, most likely.  

@kennith Garrett

what kind of boost did you see by adding Airbnb?

User Stats

Votes
Kenneth Garrett
Pro Member
  • Investor
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
Replied Nov 20 2022, 16:38
Quote from @Brian Barch:
Quote from @Kenneth Garrett:

@Katie McCartney

@kennith Garrett

what kind of boost did you see by adding Airbnb?

Added about 15% to bookings

User Stats

Votes
Leslie Anne Morris
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Smoky Mountains, TN
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Smoky Mountains, TN
Replied Nov 20 2022, 19:21

Definitely try Airbnb but learn the nuances fast!

User Stats

Votes
Paul Sandhu#4 Short-Term & Vacation Rental Discussions Contributor
  • Investor
  • The worst town to live in, KS
Votes |
Paul Sandhu#4 Short-Term & Vacation Rental Discussions Contributor
  • Investor
  • The worst town to live in, KS
Replied Nov 20 2022, 20:53

I am surprised nobody has mentioned Craigs List.  Probably 20% of my bookings come from there.  

There is also direct marketing, but that is the subject of another post.

User Stats

Votes
Michael Efferson
  • Covington, LA
Votes |
  • Covington, LA
Replied Nov 21 2022, 00:56

My STR's are about 70% AirBnb and 25% VRBO and 5% direct rentals. I'd definitely try more than just VRBO

User Stats

Votes
Gerald Pitts
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Asheville NC
Votes |
  • Asheville NC
Replied Nov 21 2022, 09:33

Any reason you've avoided them up to now?  I mean it would seem like 100 reasons ha, but to me, none of them are good enough for me to avoid them altogether.  Or at least for starting out.  I have as many headache vrbo guests as airbnb.  Thankfully, they're in the minority on both platforms.  But i would definitely give it a shot.  You can always take it back down after a few mos. 

User Stats

Votes
Robert Tinker
Pro Member
  • Round Rock, TX
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Round Rock, TX
Replied Nov 21 2022, 13:32

I'm on many platforms. We get 99% Airbnb 

User Stats

Votes
William Beck
  • Realtor
  • Branson, MO
Votes |
  • Realtor
  • Branson, MO
Replied Nov 22 2022, 10:47

Vrbo/Airbnb gets you a majority of coverage. I've got Booking.com and have had 2 bookings come through that platform in the span of a year. It's obviously not the same marketplace for STR's as the other two heavyweights.

User Stats

Votes
Katie McCartney
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Columbus, OH
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Columbus, OH
Replied Nov 28 2022, 07:57
Quote from @Leslie Anne Morris:

What type of nuances?  

User Stats

Votes
Katie McCartney
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Columbus, OH
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Columbus, OH
Replied Nov 28 2022, 08:02
Quote from @Gerald Pitts:

Any reason you've avoided them up to now?  I mean it would seem like 100 reasons ha, but to me, none of them are good enough for me to avoid them altogether.  Or at least for starting out.  I have as many headache vrbo guests as airbnb.  Thankfully, they're in the minority on both platforms.  But i would definitely give it a shot.  You can always take it back down after a few mos. 

I wanted to "ease" into this environment.  I like to learn before I go.  I had some VRBO diehards that didn't like airbnbs persuade me not to do it for the first year.  They had a lot of headache from AirBnB guests and double booking.  Plus, I have to admit the VRBO has been lucrative for me.  I'm at the higher price point on VRBO and well, I'm not sure if AirBnB will track.  However, I am on AirBnB now so... I'll find out.  Another "scary" thing has been double booking; but, I have been managing that by going and and manually updating the listing on AirBnB and have not turned on instant book.  At some point I would like to add to the portfolio so I won't be ablet to manually "do" all this fiddling maneuvering myself. However, down the road concerns - right?

User Stats

Votes
Katie McCartney
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Columbus, OH
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Columbus, OH
Replied Nov 28 2022, 08:06
Quote from @Paul Sandhu:

I am surprised nobody has mentioned Craigs List.  Probably 20% of my bookings come from there.  

I'm not a big fan of Craigs List in general.  I had to deal a lot back in the day as a Real Estate Agent with fake posts that were rental scams.  I'm skeptical of Craigs List for me.  Happy it works for you.

User Stats

Votes
Joel Case
  • Ocean Springs, MS
Votes |
  • Ocean Springs, MS
Replied Nov 28 2022, 09:20

I wanted to "ease" into this environment.  I like to learn before I go.  I had some VRBO diehards that didn't like airbnbs persuade me not to do it for the first year.  They had a lot of headache from AirBnB guests and double booking.  Plus, I have to admit the VRBO has been lucrative for me.  I'm at the higher price point on VRBO and well, I'm not sure if AirBnB will track.  However, I am on AirBnB now so... I'll find out.  Another "scary" thing has been double booking; but, I have been managing that by going and and manually updating the listing on AirBnB and have not turned on instant book.  At some point I would like to add to the portfolio so I won't be ablet to manually "do" all this fiddling maneuvering myself. However, down the road concerns - right?

You can definitely do it manually. I use a channel manager which involves a fee, but you could import your calendar once you decide to go live on Airbnb. 

To export your Vrbo calendar into Airbnb:

1. Go to your Vrbo account and select the listing you want
  2. Click Calendars in the left navigation menu, then click Reservation
  3. Click the Import/Export icon and click Export Calendar
  4. In the Export calendar window, copy the link
  5. Go to Listing and select the listing you want
  6. Go to Pricing and availability > Calendar sync
  7. Click Import calendar
  8. Copy the link into the Calendar address field
  9. Name the calendar (for example, Vrbo)
  10. Click Import calendar

User Stats

Votes
Katie McCartney
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Columbus, OH
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Columbus, OH
Replied Nov 28 2022, 09:27
Quote from @Joel Case:

You can definitely do it manually. I use a channel manager which involves a fee, but you could import your calendar once you decide to go live on Airbnb. 

To export your Vrbo calendar into Airbnb:

1. Go to your Vrbo account and select the listing you want
  2. Click Calendars in the left navigation menu, then click Reservation
  3. Click the Import/Export icon and click Export Calendar
  4. In the Export calendar window, copy the link
  5. Go to Listing and select the listing you want
  6. Go to Pricing and availability > Calendar sync
  7. Click Import calendar
  8. Copy the link into the Calendar address field
  9. Name the calendar (for example, Vrbo)
  10. Click Import calendar

Thanks.

User Stats

Votes
Trent Reeve
  • New to Real Estate
  • Atlanta
Votes |
  • New to Real Estate
  • Atlanta
Replied Nov 28 2022, 09:43
Quote from @Paul Sandhu:

probably because there is so much fraud on CL, not many people look there.

User Stats

Votes
Leslie Anne Morris
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Smoky Mountains, TN
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Smoky Mountains, TN
Replied Nov 28 2022, 10:22
Quote from @Leslie Anne Morris:

What type of nuances?  

It’s a different type of guest - more discerning. Airbnb is also very guest friendly, which can sometimes be aggravating for hosts. But to ensure this doesn’t affect your business focus on being guest friendly yourself and following airbnbs guidelines 

User Stats

Votes
John Mausteller
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Outer Banks, NC
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Outer Banks, NC
Replied Nov 28 2022, 10:43

I have only used Airbnb and been very pleased with it - but this forum post has made me decide to try out VRBO as well.  

User Stats

Votes
Bruce Woodruff
Pro Member
#4 All Forums Contributor
  • Contractor/Investor/Consultant
  • West Valley Phoenix
Votes |
Pro Member
#4 All Forums Contributor
  • Contractor/Investor/Consultant
  • West Valley Phoenix
Replied Nov 28 2022, 15:09

Another VRBO fan, unpleasant ABNB experiences as a host. Don't like their overall attitude. Their guests tend to be more potentially problematic as well.

But if they can make you another 50% a month (or whatever) why not try it....?

User Stats

Votes
William Beck
  • Realtor
  • Branson, MO
Votes |
  • Realtor
  • Branson, MO
Replied Nov 30 2022, 09:51

Vrbo is my top channel for bookings without a doubt. 

User Stats

Votes
Collin H.
Pro Member
#4 Short-Term & Vacation Rental Discussions Contributor
  • Property Manager
  • Gatlinburg, TN
Votes |
Pro Member
#4 Short-Term & Vacation Rental Discussions Contributor
  • Property Manager
  • Gatlinburg, TN
Replied Nov 30 2022, 12:57

VRBO is actually putting you on a dozen or so of their own "channels."   We book through our own website and VRBO channels and each of our properties book around 300 nights per year - about where we want them.

User Stats

Votes
Matt Mertz
  • Leander TX
Votes |
  • Leander TX
Replied Nov 30 2022, 19:39

For what it's worth, my place is listed on Airbnb and VRBO and they are almost exactly split 50/50 in the bookings between the two this year.  We have a big cabin that sleeps 16 in the Smokies.  I'm glad we're on both OTAs.