• Flipper/Rehabber
  • Desert Hot Springs, CA
Votes |
Need a co-host in Yucca Valley

Leah Dineen
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Desert Hot Springs, CA
Posted Nov 23 2022, 12:28

We have an amazing property in Yucca Valley that's on Airbnb and VRBO but we're finding that our current agency isn't a good fit for us. What's the best way to find a co-host - any references? We're thinking of possibly managing it ourselves but really don't want to deal with scheduling the cleaners (or finding them.) Thoughts on how best to set it up easily and without headaches if we do go it alone?

User Stats

Votes
John Underwood
Pro Member
#1 Short-Term & Vacation Rental Discussions Contributor
  • Investor
  • Greer, SC
Votes |
Pro Member
#1 Short-Term & Vacation Rental Discussions Contributor
  • Investor
  • Greer, SC
Replied Nov 23 2022, 13:24
Quote from @Leah Dineen:

We have an amazing property in Yucca Valley that's on Airbnb and VRBO but we're finding that our current agency isn't a good fit for us. What's the best way to find a co-host - any references? We're thinking of possibly managing it ourselves but really don't want to deal with scheduling the cleaners (or finding them.) Thoughts on how best to set it up easily and without headaches if we do go it alone?

Make sure you have good insurance to cover anything the Co-host could mismanage and/or require them to be licensed and insured and definitely make sure they have plenty of experience.

User Stats

Votes
Leah Dineen
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Desert Hot Springs, CA
Votes |
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Desert Hot Springs, CA
Replied Nov 23 2022, 13:46

Good points! Thanks!

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Michael Baum
Pro Member
#2 Short-Term & Vacation Rental Discussions Contributor
  • Olympia, WA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Olympia, WA
Replied Nov 27 2022, 00:24

So often @Leah Dineen the headaches are worst with a poor manager or co-host.

Once you find your cleaner and handy person, things smooth out a bunch. We manage our place from 360 miles away and it is pretty smooth.

Nothing is perfect of course. I had to drive over to sit in the house waiting for internet repair due to a snow/wind storm. I was here for 5 days due to the sheer amount of damage all over the place. We are pretty rural and this is the first time I have had this kind of issue.

Other than that, it has been pretty easy. Not perfect of course, but getting your systems in place will keep headaches to a minimum while increasing your profitability.

User Stats

Votes
Leah Dineen
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Desert Hot Springs, CA
Votes |
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Desert Hot Springs, CA
Replied Nov 28 2022, 13:51

Thanks, Michael! 

My daughters and I (they invested with me) have decided to manage it ourselves. We believe that'll give us more flexibility to do some things we wanted but the manager was "too big" to cater to our requests. I've been setting up various sites and purchased lodgify, which I really hope works well. I have some cleaners that I'm interviewing and I already have a good handyman that's been in place.

Wish us luck and any other tips are appreciated!

User Stats

Votes
Michael Baum
Pro Member
  • Olympia, WA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Olympia, WA
Replied Nov 28 2022, 15:44

Great @Leah Dineen! It will be awesome! Just keep up on maintenance on the furnace/AC and the like. 2x a year and that will reduce problems that the handyman will have to deal with.

Remember luck is really preparation + hard work. :)

User Stats

Votes
Leah Dineen
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Desert Hot Springs, CA
Votes |
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Desert Hot Springs, CA
Replied Nov 29 2022, 09:20

:)