South Florida Short Term Rental

Raymond J. Rodrigues
Lender
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • Miami, FL
Posted Nov 27 2022, 17:06

Hello, 

I am thinking of doing STRs in Lauderdale, Fort Lauderdale and Pompano Beach area. Can anyone share what the STR restrictions are for each area? Any help is greatly appreciated!

Thank you! 

Helm Mortgage Corp Logo

User Stats

Votes
Michael Baum
Pro Member
#2 Short-Term & Vacation Rental Discussions Contributor
  • Olympia, WA
Votes |
Pro Member
#2 Short-Term & Vacation Rental Discussions Contributor
  • Olympia, WA
Replied Nov 28 2022, 01:15

Hey @Raymond J. Rodrigues. Have you just checked the interwebs? Or maybe call up the municipalities to see what the rules are?

Fort Lauderdale - https://www.fortlauderdale.gov...

Pompano Beach - https://www.pompanobeachfl.gov...

User Stats

Votes
Malgorzata Sadowska
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Miami, FL
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Miami, FL
Replied Dec 4 2022, 19:02

@Raymond J. Rodrigues - I got all of that info (as verified by the local authorities ;)

BiggerPockets logo
Find, Vet and Invest in Syndications
|
BiggerPockets
PassivePockets will help you find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
Replied Dec 5 2022, 14:04

Hi @Raymond J. Rodrigues, you have to get your property inspected by the city of Fort Lauderdale and Pompano Beach in order to obtain a short-term rental license. Other than that, there aren't many restrictions unless you want to purchase a condo (rules from the association). If you looking to purchase an active STR in the area, I have two licensed short-term rentals for sale; one in Pompano (waterfront) and one in Hollywood.

User Stats

Votes
Brett Voorhees
  • Real Estate Agent
  • South Florida
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • South Florida
Replied Dec 7 2022, 07:55

Hey @Raymond J. Rodrigues, really depends on the particular property and the association it is in. Takes some time but I would recommend touching base with all the HOA's where you are looking to purchase a property. Keep in mind some associations like to make up the rules as they go, so I would also be sure to dig and see if they ever have a plan to change the rental restrictions. I am a realtor out here and what I have seen is a lot of investors that take the STR route are having to sell the properties since the associations change the rental restrictions. They do this in order to keep homeowners in the community opposed to having it turn into an airbnb party scene. For STR I would recommend going with a single family or a residential multi-unit that way you avoid this all together. Best of luck!