• Lender
  • Nampa Idaho
Votes |
Two story home with Short Term Rental

Christy Osterkamp
  • Lender
  • Nampa Idaho
Posted Nov 29 2022, 17:21

Looking for specific advice from owners who have turned a portion of their own home into STR.

We added a private entrance/exit, turned 1/2 bath into shower full bath, added a closet and a kitchenette, so our entire lower floor is a fully private 2 room/1 bath STR, including laundry.

Any issues arising from sharing a home with travelers?  We’ve already approved with the city.

Thanks!

User Stats

Votes
Tyler Solomon
  • Lender
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
  • Lender
  • Austin, TX
Replied Nov 29 2022, 17:52
Quote from @Christy Osterkamp:

Looking for specific advice from owners who have turned a portion of their own home into STR.

We added a private entrance/exit, turned 1/2 bath into shower full bath, added a closet and a kitchenette, so our entire lower floor is a fully private 2 room/1 bath STR, including laundry.

Any issues arising from sharing a home with travelers?  We’ve already approved with the city.

Thanks!

Biggest problem I have heard from others who have done the same is the noise level. If you are clear about your expectations with the travelers from the start, you shouldn’t have many problems

User Stats

Votes
John Underwood
Pro Member
#1 Short-Term & Vacation Rental Discussions Contributor
  • Investor
  • Greer, SC
Votes |
Pro Member
#1 Short-Term & Vacation Rental Discussions Contributor
  • Investor
  • Greer, SC
Replied Nov 29 2022, 18:45

One thing that would concern me is if I was letting a serial killer under the same roof with my family. Not worth the risk for me.

Steadily logo
Steadily
|
Sponsored
America’s best-rated landlord insurance nationwide Quotes online in minutes. Single-family, fix n’ flips, short-term rentals, and more. Great prices.

User Stats

Votes
Michael Baum
Pro Member
#2 Short-Term & Vacation Rental Discussions Contributor
  • Olympia, WA
Votes |
Pro Member
#2 Short-Term & Vacation Rental Discussions Contributor
  • Olympia, WA
Replied Nov 29 2022, 19:46

Hey @Christy Osterkamp, have you compared current STRs in Nampa for occupancy and nightly rate? You might do just as well with a steady LTR in that space.

User Stats

Votes
Kenny Smith
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Denver, CO
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Denver, CO
Replied Nov 30 2022, 13:09

@Christy Osterkamp

We have a few properties in which we do basement STR's with a private entrance. A couple things are important for them to know.

1.  Make sure you are very clear this is a lower level unit of essentially a duplex.  Don't have them caught off guard on what your unit is or is not.

2.  Noise can be a factor is not properly insulated in between floors.  There are some easy ways to help with that.  If there is connecting door to the units, put up a noise cancelling curtain or insulate the doors.  I went as far as adding in blown in insulation to the ceiling.  Not 100% necessary as you can still hear people walk from the vibration, but people talking has been almost eliminated.  Also, insulate your vents openings.  It can help tremendously with noise dampening.

3.  Temperature control.  This is a very common "issue" that comes up.  Again, need to make it very transparent that you keep the temperature at certain levels such as 68-70, etc.  Make that very clear in your description.  Provide space heaters for each room in case people want it warmer.  

4.  Make sure you let them know this is not a party house!  We make it clear in our description, when they book it, check in instructions, welcome book downstairs.  This is your home and people need to understand that.  Knock on wood, we've had really no bad experiences with regards to parties because we follow our steps to ensure it won't happen.  

Let me know if you have other questions, good luck!