Skip to content
Short-Term & Vacation Rental Discussions

User Stats

Votes
Evy Grace
Votes |
Best Property Management Software for STR not using AirBNB?

Evy Grace
Posted Dec 6 2022, 11:36

Hi Everyone-

I have been managing Long term rentals for years in Austin, TX.  I am now investigating renting luxury condos in Puerto Rico.  The Owners do not want to use AirBnb, so I am trying to figure out which property management software and web design to use for direct booking/booking on VRBO for these 4 properties.  Any advice would be most helpful! 

I have been looking at Hostaway, Guesty, Escapia...etc. What works best and is easiest to use?

Thank you!

User Stats

Votes
Tyler Solomon
  • Lender
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
  • Lender
  • Austin, TX
Replied Dec 6 2022, 11:53

I have heard good things about Hostaway from others

User Stats

Votes
Luke Carl#3 Short-Term & Vacation Rental Discussions Contributor
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Tennessee Florida
Votes |
Luke Carl#3 Short-Term & Vacation Rental Discussions Contributor
  • Tennessee Florida
Replied Dec 6 2022, 12:12
As far as the management software is concerned there are over 120 of them now. Throw a dart and pick one. They're chevy vs ford at this point. For 4 units it wouldn't be much trouble to change later if you feel the need.

I would rethink the airbnb thing though. No reason to alienate a 10 billion dollar short term rental website in my opinion.
BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
John Underwood
Pro Member
#1 Short-Term & Vacation Rental Discussions Contributor
  • Investor
  • Greer, SC
Votes |
Pro Member
#1 Short-Term & Vacation Rental Discussions Contributor
  • Investor
  • Greer, SC
Replied Dec 6 2022, 12:14

Vrbo app and Excel.

User Stats

Votes
Leslie Anne Morris
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Smoky Mountains, TN
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Smoky Mountains, TN
Replied Dec 6 2022, 12:54

VRBO integrates well with Ownerrez. I have the ability to take off platform payments and security deposits with ease. 

User Stats

Votes
Michael Baum
Pro Member
#2 Short-Term & Vacation Rental Discussions Contributor
  • Olympia, WA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Olympia, WA
Replied Dec 6 2022, 12:54

Hey @Evy Grace. It's funny you say that they don't want to do AirBNB. Almost all the posts about new STRs focus on AirBNB and ignore VRBO until we tell them why ignore an excellent platform.

I would sit them down and tell them they are giving away money by not using AirBNB. Some markets are more VRBO, like mine and @John Underwoods and others are AirBNB.

User Stats

Votes
Andrew Steffens
Pro Member
#3 Short-Term & Vacation Rental Discussions Contributor
  • Tampa, FL
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Tampa, FL
Replied Dec 6 2022, 13:04

We have had a good experience with Streamline, but it is typically used by medium to larger PM's

User Stats

Votes
Jonathan Dempsey
  • Pocono Pines, PA
Votes |
  • Pocono Pines, PA
Replied Dec 6 2022, 23:12

@Andrew Steffens

Guesty has been my favorite among Track, Hostaway, and iGMS. Track was probably the worst experience you could imagine as a platform. Guesty and Hostaway are very similar, but Guesty has better user interface for property owners and more detailed analytics. However iGMS is great for smaller portfolios.

Best of luck!

User Stats

Votes
Daniel Denning
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Atlanta GA, USA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Atlanta GA, USA
Replied Dec 7 2022, 07:00

I've also used Guesty and Hostaway and like Guesty more. It's just more robust and works well for managing multiple properties. 

User Stats

Votes
Andrew Steffens
Pro Member
  • Tampa, FL
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Tampa, FL
Replied Dec 7 2022, 07:04
Quote from @Jonathan Dempsey:

@Andrew Steffens

Guesty has been my favorite among Track, Hostaway, and iGMS. Track was probably the worst experience you could imagine as a platform. Guesty and Hostaway are very similar, but Guesty has better user interface for property owners and more detailed analytics. However iGMS is great for smaller portfolios.

Best of luck!

Thanks Jonathan! We used Guesty before (over 3 years ago) and we agree they had a great UI.  We did have a lot of accounting issues with them and lack of support, but again 3 years ago and I have heard they fixed a lot of those issues.

User Stats

Votes
Evy Grace
Votes |
Replied Dec 8 2022, 12:19
Thanks everyone!  This is great info!  And I agree about being able to list on AirBNB, but the owners of these condos want them to be exclusive and would rather have them rented for a very high price and have less traffic overall. 
Has anyone tried Ruebarue for digital welcome books or is this something you can create within your PMS software?

User Stats

Votes
Joshua Messinger
  • Property Manager
  • Poconos, PA
Votes |
  • Property Manager
  • Poconos, PA
Replied Dec 8 2022, 13:38

Hostway works very well for our team... There are so many different management software providers out there now you would probably be better off testing as many as you can to see what you like best lol 

Keller Williams Real Estate Logo

User Stats

Votes
Michael Baum
Pro Member
  • Olympia, WA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Olympia, WA
Replied Dec 8 2022, 14:53
Quote from @Evy Grace:
Thanks everyone!  This is great info!  And I agree about being able to list on AirBNB, but the owners of these condos want them to be exclusive and would rather have them rented for a very high price and have less traffic overall. 
Has anyone tried Ruebarue for digital welcome books or is this something you can create within your PMS software?

Well, you could just do direct bookings. No VRBO or AirBNB. That would make it very exclusive. A lot of work to drive views to the site and it will probably not generate much but that would meet their requirements.

Just a note to you personally @Evy Grace. I think you might be setting yourself up. By following their guidelines, they will not see the return they think they will be getting. They will blame you. So make sure you layout everything YOU think they should do, regardless of their opinions. Tell them you want them to succeed and make money on their investment and that this is the best way to do it. Then you can go back and point out what your plan was. It isn't much of a CYA, but hopefully they will see the error of their ways.

Good luck!

User Stats

Votes
Evy Grace
Votes |
Replied Dec 8 2022, 15:00

@Michael Baum  Thank you for your advice!  I will be sure and let them know we need to be on all of the booking sites!  

User Stats

Votes
NA Gallagher
  • Property Manager
Votes |
  • Property Manager
Replied Jan 16 2024, 05:54

Hi Evy,

I would recommend looking into Lodgify. My husband and I have been using them for years, and they tick all of our boxes. We're not super tech-savvy, but we've been able to create a direct booking site, link with all OTAs, and manage our business from anywhere with their app. 

Since switching to Lodgify, we've seen a 70% increase in direct bookings. The GVR integration is fantastic, and the free and thorough onboarding made the transition smooth. Support is always there when needed.

Good luck!

User Stats

Votes
Alex F.
  • Investor
  • Plymouth, MN
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Plymouth, MN
Replied Jan 16 2024, 11:05

@Evy Grace - we really like Hostifuly. I'm a big fan.

User Stats

Votes
Zachary Cain Humphrey
  • Investor
  • Kentucky
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Kentucky
Replied Jan 17 2024, 08:51

I use Hospitable