Short-Term & Vacation Rental Discussions

User Stats

Votes
David Lisi
Votes |
Opportunities in a Hot vacation destination area

David Lisi
Posted Dec 30 2022, 01:46

Hey there!  I have a chance to buy a significant amount of property in Alaska (fishing lodge) that goes hand in hand with my fishing guide business.  The numbers work really well; however, this is my first "big" swing at a real estate play.  This property will cash flow nicely, I am just not sure how to get something like this done.  (list is 1.6 mil)

User Stats

Votes
John Underwood
Pro Member
#1 Short-Term & Vacation Rental Discussions Contributor
  • Investor
  • Greer, SC
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Greer, SC
Replied Dec 30 2022, 05:48

Start by asking owner if they will entertain all or partial owner financing.

Then look at an equity partner if a bank won't finance it.

User Stats

Votes
David Lisi
Votes |
Replied Dec 30 2022, 13:56

For sure, I like that idea :)

BiggerPockets logo
Meet Investor-Friendly Agents
|
BiggerPockets
Network with top investor-friendly agents who can help you find, analyze, and close your next deal.

User Stats

Votes
Michael Baum
Pro Member
  • Olympia, WA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Olympia, WA
Replied Dec 30 2022, 14:09

Hey @David Lisi, so you have an existing guide business. What about looking at an SBA loan to expand that business?

I would for sure try the owner financing first, but this seems like a perfect opportunity to leverage the SBA loan program as you are already operating, what I assume is, a successful guide business.

If you get the lodge, can you consolidate locations with your guide business? If you show you can increase revenue and lower costs of operation, that makes thing work much better for the 1.6m purchase price.

Is the lodge currently operating? Have you looked at their books yet? What kind of work does it need to improve it?

Lots of cool opportunities here IMHO!

User Stats

Votes
David Lisi
Votes |
Replied Dec 30 2022, 19:19

It is a 100% turnkey opportunity.  Fully furnished (even has all of the linens).  I do have access to their historical P&Ls and all the pertinent information.  Our guide business is very successful and this would be an excellent opportunity to vertically integrate into our existing business.  This is in an area with a very small market (a.k.a. no long term housing and shrinking short term rental opportunities).  I would hate for this lodge to be purchased for someone's homestead and further shrink the availability of short term/long term properties available in the area.

User Stats

Votes
David Lisi
Votes |
Replied Dec 30 2022, 19:19
Quote from @Michael Baum:

Hey @David Lisi, so you have an existing guide business. What about looking at an SBA loan to expand that business?

I would for sure try the owner financing first, but this seems like a perfect opportunity to leverage the SBA loan program as you are already operating, what I assume is, a successful guide business.

If you get the lodge, can you consolidate locations with your guide business? If you show you can increase revenue and lower costs of operation, that makes thing work much better for the 1.6m purchase price.

Is the lodge currently operating? Have you looked at their books yet? What kind of work does it need to improve it?

Lots of cool opportunities here IMHO!

It is a 100% turnkey opportunity. Fully furnished (even has all of the linens). I do have access to their historical P&Ls and all the pertinent information. Our guide business is very successful and this would be an excellent opportunity to vertically integrate into our existing business. This is in an area with a very small market (a.k.a. no long term housing and shrinking short term rental opportunities). I would hate for this lodge to be purchased for someone's homestead and further shrink the availability of short term/long term properties available in the area.

User Stats

Votes
Witty Worden
  • Pacifica, CA
Votes |
  • Pacifica, CA
Replied Dec 30 2022, 22:33

Have you thought of taking on a partner, for financing?

User Stats

Votes
Todd Goedeke
  • Contractor
  • Sheboygan, WI
Votes |
  • Contractor
  • Sheboygan, WI
Replied Dec 31 2022, 05:33

@David Lisi Here are questions a commercial lender is sure to ask or you should ask when considering purchase:

How long is the sport fishing season in Anchorage? How many rooms  in this lodge/hotel? Have the current owners been able to a stage 60% occupancy? How long has the property been listed?( just because it lists at 1.6M does not mean you can t negotiate it for less) Why is current owner selling? Is their substantial maintenance that has been deferred, and it’s costs? What are the taxes on the property? Insurance costs?

Are there areas within building to serve breakfast and dinner? Is there a large kitchen on premises?

User Stats

Votes
Connor Dunham
  • Investor
  • Anchorage, AK
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Anchorage, AK
Replied Dec 31 2022, 11:09
Quote from @David Lisi:

Hey there!  I have a chance to buy a significant amount of property in Alaska (fishing lodge) that goes hand in hand with my fishing guide business.  The numbers work really well; however, this is my first "big" swing at a real estate play.  This property will cash flow nicely, I am just not sure how to get something like this done.  (list is 1.6 mil)

Hi David,
assuming you’re operating out of copper landing - now that the highway bypass is funded, how does that affect the property you’re looking at?

User Stats

Votes
Michael Baum
Pro Member
  • Olympia, WA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Olympia, WA
Replied Dec 31 2022, 17:19

Thanks for the info @David Lisi. I think this is a perfect scenario for a SBA expansion loan.

Check out https://www.sba.gov/blog/finan... to get started. I have to say that the SBA loan process can take forever. There are other ways to get business financing on something like this.

Seeing as it is an existing operating business ready to rock and roll will open up some options from other lenders.

There is also a proposed expansion of SBA lenders so that could speed things along.

Don't let FOMO get to you. Do your due diligence and make sure this works for you and will make sense. I hear your concern about the local inventory so keep that on the back burner and don't let it cloud your judgement. :)

Personally this seems like a great idea to me as long as it can make you money, expand your business and keep you living and working in an awesome area!

User Stats

Votes
David Lisi
Votes |
Replied Dec 31 2022, 17:46
Quote from @Connor Dunham:
Quote from @David Lisi:

Hi David,
assuming you’re operating out of copper landing - now that the highway bypass is funded, how does that affect the property you’re looking at?
I think that it will only increase property values and further make Cooper Landing even more desirable to visit/stay

User Stats

Votes
Jamie Rose
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Anchorage, AK
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Anchorage, AK
Replied Jan 5 2023, 17:09

@David Lisi - I agree - that area is going to be even more of a destination without all the Peninsula drive through traffic!