Skip to content
Short-Term & Vacation Rental Discussions

User Stats

Votes
Bryan S.
Votes |
All The Small Things - how do you manage?

Bryan S.
Posted Jan 4 2023, 06:10

Hi Everyone!

Curious how people manage the small things that make the property look nice before check in?

For example the wind blows the pool chairs so they look a bit messy. Cleaners do inside. Not pool or lawn teams problem. For something like that, what do you do?

User Stats

Votes
Eliott Elias#3 BRRRR - Buy, Rehab, Rent, Refinance, Repeat Contributor
  • Investor
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
Eliott Elias#3 BRRRR - Buy, Rehab, Rent, Refinance, Repeat Contributor
  • Investor
  • Austin, TX
Replied Jan 4 2023, 06:26

Ask the cleaners to do that as well. 

User Stats

Votes
John Underwood
Pro Member
#1 Short-Term & Vacation Rental Discussions Contributor
  • Investor
  • Greer, SC
Votes |
Pro Member
#1 Short-Term & Vacation Rental Discussions Contributor
  • Investor
  • Greer, SC
Replied Jan 4 2023, 06:40

So either the cleaners clean right before check-in and someone gets the trash out of the house on checkout day, or the cleaners clean on checkout day and if there is a gap in when the next guests arrives someone has to come check the property before the guests show up. That can be the cleaners or someone else.

You don't want to have the house cleaned and sitting for a couple days or longer without another check before guests arrive, or you could have something like a leak or a mouse terrorizing the house that would go undetected.

FlipSystem logo
FlipSystem
|
Sponsored
Learn From Our Team. Earn 100% of the Profits. Join our community of 500+ investors! Avg profit per flip: $14k, Avg effort per week: 4hrs

User Stats

Votes
Brooklyn McCarty
Pro Member
  • Investor
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
Replied Jan 4 2023, 06:55

This is typically the cleaners job or you can hire a property inspector to visit before each arrival. 

User Stats

Votes
Leslie Anne Morris
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Smoky Mountains, TN
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Smoky Mountains, TN
Replied Jan 4 2023, 06:56

Our cleaners do that. We also have a runner but I typically don’t send him on jobs like that. 

User Stats

Votes
Andrew Steffens
Pro Member
#3 Short-Term & Vacation Rental Discussions Contributor
  • Tampa, FL
Votes |
Pro Member
#3 Short-Term & Vacation Rental Discussions Contributor
  • Tampa, FL
Replied Jan 4 2023, 10:18
Quote from @Bryan S.:

Hi Everyone!

Curious how people manage the small things that make the property look nice before check in?

For example the wind blows the pool chairs so they look a bit messy. Cleaners do inside. Not pool or lawn teams problem. For something like that, what do you do?

Definitely need to have cleaners pitch in.  They should include that in their cost and you pass that on via cleaning fee.  Other small things have to be on a case by case basis.  We have 70 rentals and have a reservation/office manager, maintenance manager, housekeeping manager, and general manager but since we are still a small business everyone has to wear multiple hats!

User Stats

Votes
Melissa Nash
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Orange County, CA
Votes |
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Orange County, CA
Replied Jan 4 2023, 13:45

agreed... my cleaners do that. I also hire a "walk through" person on one of my properties that I pay to walk through before guests arrive and double check everything that my cleaners miss. Its worth every penny! 

User Stats

Votes
Nathan Gesner
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
ModeratorReplied Jan 5 2023, 05:39

I agree with the others that cleaners can handle minor furniture arrangement. My rental is in an area that gets high winds, so we only use heavy patio furniture that can't blow away with anything less than 60mph winds. If I didn't, my furniture would end up on the neighbor's property 400 yards away.

• Property Manager Wyoming (#12599)

American West Realty & Management Logo

User Stats

Votes
Bryan S.
Votes |
Replied Jan 5 2023, 18:44
Quote from @Eliott Elias:

Ask the cleaners to do that as well. 

Thanks for the response Eliott! Do your cleaners handle odd one off requests like that? I’ve tried a couple times but doesn’t seem to sink it. I’ve also tried multiple different cleaners and none do an overall good enough job compared to my current ones

User Stats

Votes
Bryan S.
Votes |
Replied Jan 5 2023, 18:45
Quote from @Melissa Nash:

agreed... my cleaners do that. I also hire a "walk through" person on one of my properties that I pay to walk through before guests arrive and double check everything that my cleaners miss. It’s worth every penny! 

Oh nice on the walk through person! How did you find your walk through person and how much do you pay them?

User Stats

Votes
Bryan S.
Votes |
Replied Jan 5 2023, 18:47

Thanks everyone for the reply’s!

seems like the overall answer is the cleaners. I’ve tried multiple cleaners in the area but no one seems like they can do a good cleaning job and handle the extra tasks. I’ve got 2K+ sqft, pool, yard etc and usually get same days flips. 

How have folks found cleaners that are able to do the quality work inside and handle the odd ball tasks as well?