Matt Caviness
Pro Member
Votes |
Looking to buy first Airbnb

Matt Caviness
Pro Member
Posted Jan 15 2023, 17:52

Good afternoon, 

Im matt and i live in the Atlanta area. Im a local real estate investor with a couple properties and a licensed contractor as well. Im thinking about investing in some airbnbs in Orlando FL in the next couple weeks to months once I finish a duplex remodel im working on. Does anyone have any advice on the Disney area as well as a reputable agent that knows about STRs? Any help would be appreciated!

User Stats

Votes
Holly Hudson
Pro Member
  • Orlando area and Space Coast, FL
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Orlando area and Space Coast, FL
Replied Jan 15 2023, 18:16

Hi Matt! I would love to talk to about the Orlando/Disney area! I am an agent with The Short Term Shop and that is what we specialize in.  I also own in the area, as do my co-agents.  Please DM anytime!

User Stats

Votes
Brooklyn McCarty
Pro Member
  • Investor
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
Replied Jan 16 2023, 04:31
Quote from @Holly Hudson:

Hi Matt! I would love to talk to about the Orlando/Disney area! I am an agent with The Short Term Shop and that is what we specialize in.  I also own in the area, as do my co-agents.  Please DM anytime!

I was going to recommend Short Term Shop too. We have purchased 4 properties with The Shop in The Smokies and Gulf Shores. They specialize in STR real estate and then also have a back end program where they teach you how to manage the property for free and offer advice and support long after your deal is done. 
BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Matthew Wolk
  • Lender
  • Tampa, FL
Votes |
  • Lender
  • Tampa, FL
Replied Jan 16 2023, 08:02
Quote from @Matt Caviness:

Good afternoon, 

Im matt and i live in the Atlanta area. Im a local real estate investor with a couple properties and a licensed contractor as well. Im thinking about investing in some airbnbs in Orlando FL in the next couple weeks to months once I finish a duplex remodel im working on. Does anyone have any advice on the Disney area as well as a reputable agent that knows about STRs? Any help would be appreciated!

Matt,

Orlando is a great area to own AIRBNB properties due to Disney and other attractions in the area.  Now is especially a great time to buy as prices have either stabilized or decreased through the state (the entire country basically).  You can also get 2% seller credit on investment properties to help buy the rate down or pay for closing costs.  Please PM me if you want a referral, I can give one if you still need one!

User Stats

Votes
Matt Caviness
Pro Member
Votes |
Pro Member
Replied Jan 16 2023, 08:48

Okay thank You for all the help. I have reached out to short term shop and I’m waiting for response. Do they have any type of Airbnb regulations?

User Stats

Votes
Matthew Wolk
  • Lender
  • Tampa, FL
Votes |
  • Lender
  • Tampa, FL
Replied Jan 16 2023, 08:54

Okay thank You for all the help. I have reached out to short term shop and I’m waiting for response. Do they have any type of Airbnb regulations?

Some locations will depending on the HOA. You would want to stay away from an HOA. I would make nothing off a referral, I just know agents that would get on the phone with you the second you reached out. PM me your email if you want me to make an introduction and you can at least get your questions answered even if you go with your initial agent.

User Stats

Votes
Wayde Hall
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Orlando FL
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Orlando FL
Replied Jan 16 2023, 09:26

Hi @Matt Caviness!  

It looks like you've got the resume, lol.  First thing to know here is we are a complex market with things needed to succeed here, I highly recommend finding an agent that invest locally in the market and understands things like "theming" a property and also the very key details on the neighborhoods here.  There are some very strict zoning and regulation details that need to be checked when purchasing here.  Distance to Disney is also a VERY big thing when it comes to purchasing here, usually I like to say a home in a resort, less than 25 min to the parks and themed is the bread and butter here.  

So when you're looking - Themed, resort, < 25 min are going to be your check-boxes.  

After that if my team can be a resource we would love to! We specialize in STR's here and also own multiple in both Orlando and other markets such as Gulf Shores, Smokies and Blue Ridge.

Wayde Hall - The Short Term Shop

User Stats

Votes
Shawn McCormick
  • Realtor
  • Orlando, FL
Votes |
  • Realtor
  • Orlando, FL
Replied Jan 16 2023, 16:43

@Matt Caviness Welcome!

I am available immediately to speak with you on this. I live near the best resorts and have sold dozens of STR near Disney. I would be happy to walk you thru the do's and don'ts, the must-haves and the stay-away-from scenarios.

Feel free to reach out and I can get you the information to help you make an informed decision., I am also a featured agent here on BP.

User Stats

Votes
Drew C Grossman
  • Investor
  • Jacksonville, FL
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Jacksonville, FL
Replied Jan 16 2023, 17:48

Hi @Matt Caviness - am also in the middle of some Duplex brrrr projects and will be focusing on finishing them before starting anything else on the investment side for the time being. 

I've thought about STR although I haven't gotten into them yet. Have you done STR in the past? It's one of the few areas of the industry I know the least about… I'm curious to what sparked your interest and what your expectations are? STR have been some of the most popular main stream investments and everyone made it look easy (from an outsiders perspective)…. need to be very prudent in your underwriting!

As far as your goal for Orlando…the landscape is very diverse leading to a lot of different strategies with investments….there’s opportunity with diligence. I went to school in Orlando and am very familiar with the areas!

@Tyler Gibson would be a good person to reach out to for more specific options on the STR side of things

User Stats

Votes
Tyler Solomon
  • Lender
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
  • Lender
  • Austin, TX
Replied Jan 17 2023, 11:27

Matt - happy to answer any of your financing related questions for short term rentals! I grew up vacationing in the Orlando area and have family out there now!

User Stats

Votes
Alice Horn
Pro Member
  • Property Manager
  • Kissimmee, FL
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Property Manager
  • Kissimmee, FL
Replied Jan 18 2023, 04:11

Good afternoon, 

Hey Matt, we manage 100+ properties in the Disney/Orlando market. Happy to shed some light on the various communities and home types from the management perspective. We  can also run reports to help you compare revenue, occupancy and other metrics as you get further along in your search. Just let us know how we can help!

User Stats

Votes
Carson McGee
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Charlotte, NC
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Charlotte, NC
Replied Jan 18 2023, 08:17

Hey Matt,

My company owns and manages short-term rentals in the Disney area. You should definitely research the zoning & regulations, there are specific communities built for investment purposes. You will have trouble finding an STR in the city of Orlando, more likely Kissimmee/Davenport. The best advice I can give on this market is to be unique. There is a lot of competition, you need to design/theme to help you stand out. I'd love to share my experience if you're interested.

User Stats

Votes
Mike Williams
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Dalton, GA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Dalton, GA
Replied Feb 1 2023, 13:40

Hey Matt, I'm in the North Georgia area, if you decide to do anything up this way, let's chat!

User Stats

Votes
January Johnson
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Emerald Coast, FL
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Emerald Coast, FL
Replied Feb 10 2023, 06:35

Second vote for @Holly Hudson

User Stats

Votes
Alberto Nikodimov
Pro Member
  • Property Manager
  • Orlando, FL
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Property Manager
  • Orlando, FL
Replied Feb 16 2023, 10:40

Hey @Matt Caviness

You have some great recommendations here. 

In addition, I would like to suggest that you speak to multiple industry experts and ask the same questions to gain a comprehensive understanding of the subject matter. It is crucial to note that the answers you receive may vary based on an individual's knowledge, preferences, or interests. Thus, it is your responsibility to filter through the advice you receive and rely on a select few experts who can provide reliable guidance.

It is essential to emphasize that the success of short-term rental properties heavily relies on the quality of your partners. Therefore, finding a trustworthy team to help you purchase the right property in the right location is critical to achieving your investment goals. Moreover, when considering an investment in Central Florida's short-term rental industry, it is imperative to rely on real data rather than projections. I recommend working with people who invest in similar short-term rentals, as this demonstrates their belief in the product and their investment in it.

Finally, when evaluating potential partners, one of the best pre-qualifying questions to ask is whether they own similar properties to the one they are suggesting you purchase. This can help you identify experts who have practical experience and knowledge of the industry.