Votes
Ashley Tocco
Pro Member
Votes |
Short term rentals in Galveston TX

Ashley Tocco
Pro Member
Posted Jan 21 2023, 12:07

Hi! Looking for any feedback regarding short term rentals in Galveston, Tx. My husband and I are looking to invest in the area, beach or lake house this year and curious how others have done in the area. Also looking to build a team as we are out of state in California. 

User Stats

Votes
Karl McGarvey
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Houston, TX
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Houston, TX
Replied Jan 21 2023, 12:31
Quote from @Ashley Tocco:

Hi! Looking for any feedback regarding short term rentals in Galveston, Tx. My husband and I are looking to invest in the area, beach or lake house this year and curious how others have done in the area. Also looking to build a team as we are out of state in California. 

Hi Ashley!

Galveston has a great market for STR whether it be in a single family home or condo, there is something for everyone and a wide range of budgets. There was a dip in business this year but that was consistent with most national numbers. @Holly Kaufman and I have owned multiple on the island as well as long term rentals and love the market. We also work with out of town investors to help others do what we do. Feel free to shoot me a message if you would like to deep dive on the island and learn about it, always willing to help!

User Stats

Votes
Replied Jan 21 2023, 12:49

Ashley,

There is a great deal of useful information (in addition to posts about finding cleaning people, etc.) in a facebook group called Galveston Airbnb Hosts. People also post their STRs for sale in the group from time to time. I've learned quite a bit from just reading the posts. 

Shannon

BiggerPockets logo
Find, Vet and Invest in Syndications
|
BiggerPockets
PassivePockets will help you find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
Wilson Vanhook
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Texas - Conroe/North Houston
Votes |
  • Texas - Conroe/North Houston
Replied Jan 21 2023, 12:57
Quote from @Karl McGarvey:

Hi Ashley!

Galveston has a great market for STR whether it be in a single family home or condo, there is something for everyone and a wide range of budgets. There was a dip in business this year but that was consistent with most national numbers. @Holly Kaufman and I have owned multiple on the island as well as long term rentals and love the market. We also work with out of town investors to help others do what we do. Feel free to shoot me a message if you would like to deep dive on the island and learn about it, always willing to help!

Ever done arbitrage in Galveston or know people that do?

User Stats

Votes
Karl McGarvey
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Houston, TX
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Houston, TX
Replied Jan 21 2023, 12:57
Quote from @Wilson Vanhook:

Hi Ashley!

Ever done arbitrage in Galveston or know people that do?

@Holly Kaufman has!

User Stats

Votes
Brooklyn McCarty
Pro Member
  • Investor
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
Replied Jan 21 2023, 15:29

Have bought 4 properties with The Short Term Shop & I will only use them now. They operate in Galveston! 

User Stats

Votes
Lyndsey Garza
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Galveston, TX
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Galveston, TX
Replied Jan 21 2023, 15:38

Hi Ashley! I am a local broker and vacation rental manager who specializes in helping people gather the info they need to make an informed decision, eespecially from afar. My team can help you do it all - advise, represent on a purchase, and help you find the right management fit for your investment startegy, as well as someone you can trust. That can be difficult when you are out of state. I have 16 years of experience selling only Galveston vacation homes and would be honored to answer any questions about any part of the vacation rental real estate purchase and management options once that's done! 

Galveston Vacation Real Estate Logo

User Stats

Votes
V.G Jason
Pro Member
Votes |
Pro Member
Replied Jan 21 2023, 15:39
Quote from @Brooklyn McCarty:

Have bought 4 properties with The Short Term Shop & I will only use them now. They operate in Galveston! 

Have you bought all within the last 3 years?

User Stats

Votes
Brooklyn McCarty
Pro Member
  • Investor
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
Replied Jan 21 2023, 18:27

Yep. Closed on the first one March 14th of 2020 and literally the day we finished setting it up, the USA went into shelter in place. 

Didn’t have a single booking for months. 
bought the 2nd in late 2020. 3rd in late 2021. 4th in summer of 2022.

User Stats

Votes
Eliott Elias#3 BRRRR - Buy, Rehab, Rent, Refinance, Repeat Contributor
  • Investor
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
Eliott Elias#3 BRRRR - Buy, Rehab, Rent, Refinance, Repeat Contributor
  • Investor
  • Austin, TX
Replied Jan 21 2023, 21:30

It is oversaturated, look into Austin TX

User Stats

Votes
January Johnson
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Emerald Coast, FL
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Emerald Coast, FL
Replied Jan 22 2023, 11:20

@Kelsey Ardoin our Short Term Shop team in Galveston is THE BOMB!  Her email is kelsey@ the same URL as mine.  See below!

User Stats

Votes
Mayor Victor
  • Property Manager
  • Nigeria
Votes |
  • Property Manager
  • Nigeria
Replied Jan 22 2023, 12:35

Hi Ashley. I'm a short-term rental virtual assistant and manager, I can help with setting up your properties on different OTAs, customize the right pricing, and restriction settings for you on your preferred pricing tools as well as help with on-time guest communications. Kindly let me know if you need my help at any point in time.

Thanks,

Mayor.

User Stats

Votes
January Johnson
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Emerald Coast, FL
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Emerald Coast, FL
Replied Jan 23 2023, 08:59

We also teach buyers how to self-manage if that's what you'd like to do.  100% doable remotely, I promise!  Once you are through the inspection period, you can join our free class, Management Mondays, where @Luke Carl himself teaches you everything you need to know to get started with software, platforms, finding vendors, and building your team.  This is a major benefit and sets The Short Term Shop apart from other realtors, even if they have their own STRs.

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Jordan Moorhead
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Austin, TX
Replied Jan 24 2023, 07:58

@Ashley Tocco I think the Short Term Shop is there now!

The Moorhead Team Logo

User Stats

Votes
Kelsey Ardoin
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Crystal Beach/Galveston, TX
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
Replied Jan 24 2023, 10:49
Quote from @Jordan Moorhead:

@Ashley Tocco I think the Short Term Shop is there now!

Yes, we sure are! We opened up the STS market in Crystal Beach/Galveston, TX in October 2021. 

The Short Term Shop Logo

User Stats

Votes
Kelsey Ardoin
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
Replied Jan 24 2023, 10:51
Quote from @January Johnson:

We also teach buyers how to self-manage if that's what you'd like to do.  100% doable remotely, I promise!  Once you are through the inspection period, you can join our free class, Management Mondays, where @Luke Carl himself teaches you everything you need to know to get started with software, platforms, finding vendors, and building your team.  This is a major benefit and sets The Short Term Shop apart from other realtors, even if they have their own STRs.

Yes, January is exactly right (and does exactly this with her market in Florida). We promote self-management to help STS owners keep as much of the profit in their pocket as possible. 

The Short Term Shop Logo

User Stats

Votes
Kelsey Ardoin
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
Replied Jan 24 2023, 10:53
Quote from @January Johnson:

@Kelsey Ardoin our Short Term Shop team in Galveston is THE BOMB!  Her email is kelsey@ the same URL as mine.  See below!

Thank you so much, January! That means the world to me because I work HARD for my clients from introduction to well after closing. My door is always open to helping clients.

The Short Term Shop Logo

User Stats

Votes
Replied Oct 22 2023, 10:14
Quote from @Brooklyn McCarty:

Yep. Closed on the first one March 14th of 2020 and literally the day we finished setting it up, the USA went into shelter in place. 

Didn’t have a single booking for months. 
bought the 2nd in late 2020. 3rd in late 2021. 4th in summer of 2022.

User Stats

Votes
Replied Oct 22 2023, 10:15

How are your rentals doing now?

User Stats

Votes
Replied Oct 27 2023, 13:20

Hi Ashley!

Hello! I appreciate this information. I was wondering how I would find out if STR are not allowed in certain parts of Galveston?

User Stats

Votes
Karl McGarvey
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Houston, TX
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Houston, TX
Replied Oct 27 2023, 13:21
Quote from @Latrisa Wyatt:

Hi Ashley!

Hello! I appreciate this information. I was wondering how I would find out if STR are not allowed in certain parts of Galveston?

Shoot me a message. Would be happy to show you what areas are not allowed to have STR.

User Stats

Votes
Kelsey Ardoin
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
Replied Oct 28 2023, 11:40
Quote from @Latrisa Wyatt:

Hi Ashley!

@Latrisa Here's a link to the map where STRs are not allowed in Galveston: https://www.galvestonparkboard.org/DocumentCenter/View/1785/...

However, I also maintain a list of neighborhoods that "allow" STR but add stipulations such as the requirement for rentals to be weekly (not less than 7 days) or that a maximum number of guests (12 for ex) are allowed at one property regardless of bedroom size. The strictest rules I've seen state that the property must be managed by a property manager that is a licensed real estate agent in TX and has an office in Galveston.

The Short Term Shop Logo

User Stats

Votes
Brian Schroeder
  • Realtor
  • Houston, TX
Votes |
  • Realtor
  • Houston, TX
Replied Jan 28 2024, 03:43

Hi Ashley -

I find it very interesting that you established an interest in Galveston TX of all places, given you're local to California. I am a local Texas Realtor and investor. As mentioned above, the Galveston Airbnb Hosts page on Facebook is a great place to start. I have a number of single-family and condo properties in Galveston County that may be suitable for what you are looking for. I can also put you in touch with a property management firm in Galveston that specializes in STRs.

Brian