Votes
Nathan W.
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
Indoor Pools in the Smokies

Nathan W.
  • Austin, TX
Posted Jan 28 2023, 12:24

I have a nice 2 acre lot with a view in the middle of the Gatlinburg, Pigeon Forge, and Wears Valley triangle.  I'm trying to narrow down what to build on it. 
I'm considering an upscale 4 Bedroom 4 1/2 bath Pool cabin. I honestly have no desire to own an indoor pool but all the numbers say I should do it. I'm guessing it will cost me about $250k in additional square footage and construction costs to add a pool and I'm estimating an additional $50k a year in revenue. 

This may sound stupid, but is there any danger of the indoor pool in the smokies becoming the Jacuzzi tub in the bedroom of the future? So many of these things look so underwhelming. I've seen hot tubs larger than the pools going into some of these places. I just wonder if they are getting over built. On one hand I worry that I won't be able to compete soon without one but I also worry they are a bit of a fad. 

For those that have an indoor pool. How big of a pain is it to manage them and how much extra costs does it add? Are you getting them cleaned weekly or after each guest leaves?

Thanks!

User Stats

Votes
Kyle Smith
  • New to Real Estate
Votes |
  • New to Real Estate
Replied Feb 12 2023, 22:29

I said I’d never build again but I have to admit the returns I’m getting so far have been amazing on this pool cabin.  Now that I’ve gone through the school of hard knocks I may do it again with the right vetted builder (and on a semi flat lot)!  My story parallels Ken’s. It was a horrible experience but in the end I learned a lot and know how to survive the onslaught of issues one night face.   My advice to 90% of the random people wanting to build in Sevier County is going to be “don’t do it.”   Buy a house almost completed and construction financed by the builder. 

User Stats

Votes
Justin Beasley
Pro Member
  • Pigeon Forge, TN
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Pigeon Forge, TN
Replied Feb 13 2023, 05:45
Quote from @Kyle Smith:

I said I’d never build again but I have to admit the returns I’m getting so far have been amazing on this pool cabin.  Now that I’ve gone through the school of hard knocks I may do it again with the right vetted builder (and on a semi flat lot)!  My story parallels Ken’s. It was a horrible experience but in the end I learned a lot and know how to survive the onslaught of issues one night face.   My advice to 90% of the random people wanting to build in Sevier County is going to be “don’t do it.”   Buy a house almost completed and construction financed by the builder. 

This is great advice. A lot of new construction cabins are financed by the builder or a local investor. I personally have 6 going right now. There is very little incentive for a reputable builder to commit to a custom cabin build right now. Depending on the land it can take anywhere from 6-12 months to finish a cabin and if you do not know what you are looking for in land you can quickly add 20-50K in expenses by purchasing a bad piece of land.

If anyone needs convincing of this just shoot me a DM:) 

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Justin Beasley
Pro Member
  • Pigeon Forge, TN
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Pigeon Forge, TN
Replied Feb 13 2023, 05:46
Quote from @Nathan W.:

I have a nice 2 acre lot with a view in the middle of the Gatlinburg, Pigeon Forge, and Wears Valley triangle.  I'm trying to narrow down what to build on it. 
I'm considering an upscale 4 Bedroom 4 1/2 bath Pool cabin. I honestly have no desire to own an indoor pool but all the numbers say I should do it. I'm guessing it will cost me about $250k in additional square footage and construction costs to add a pool and I'm estimating an additional $50k a year in revenue. 

This may sound stupid, but is there any danger of the indoor pool in the smokies becoming the Jacuzzi tub in the bedroom of the future? So many of these things look so underwhelming. I've seen hot tubs larger than the pools going into some of these places. I just wonder if they are getting over built. On one hand I worry that I won't be able to compete soon without one but I also worry they are a bit of a fad. 

For those that have an indoor pool. How big of a pain is it to manage them and how much extra costs does it add? Are you getting them cleaned weekly or after each guest leaves?

Thanks!

On the pool question it can add anywhere from 75-125k on average.

User Stats

Votes
Nathan W.
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
  • Austin, TX
Replied Feb 13 2023, 10:41
Quote from @Justin Beasley:
Quote from @Nathan W.:

Thanks!

Thanks for that. My $250k was including the added square footage cost for the pool itself. Good to hear some solid numbers though, I appreciate it.

User Stats

Votes
Kyle Smith
  • New to Real Estate
Votes |
  • New to Real Estate
Replied Feb 27 2023, 10:17
Quote from @Justin Beasley:
Quote from @Nathan W.:

Thanks!

This is a true statement.  My fiberglass pool cost $13k with pump, filter- everything.  Installation was probably around $75k.  I’m on a critical slope and that didn’t help any.   I also need to add this… the vast majority of builders in the area have zero business building a pool cabin.  They may say they know how to install an indoor pool, and they may have done it in the past, but those that do it right are rare.  There’s only one guy in town that does it right that I know of and he owns Patriot Cabins.   There are quite a few pool cabins with mold issues among other things.    some pools are sinking, breaking away from their coving, empty spots underneath, cracks…you name it.   It’s very expensive to do it right.  

User Stats

Votes
Nathan W.
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
  • Austin, TX
Replied Mar 14 2023, 08:13

Follow up question. 

How many of you are heating your pool with propane? If so, how much propane are you going through a month to keep it heated? 

User Stats

Votes
Zach Edelman
  • Lender
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
  • Lender
  • Austin, TX
Replied Mar 31 2023, 21:04

If I was a guest booking in the smokies and I saw an indoor pool, I would be quite enticed by it and likely stay there versus a nicer house without an indoor pool. An indoor pool sounds sick tbh. 

User Stats

Votes
Bryan S.
Votes |

It’s an extra complexity with maintenance and cost.

It’s more than just the fixed cost of install, it’s the recurring cost as well. Plus assuring the water is always crystal clear. 

My outdoor pools the guests don’t mind when the pool company comes. But could be a little weird for an indoor pool for the pool company to come clean. 

User Stats

Votes
Richard F.#1 Tenant Screening Contributor
  • Property Manager
  • Honolulu, HI
Votes |
Richard F.#1 Tenant Screening Contributor
  • Property Manager
  • Honolulu, HI
Replied Apr 5 2023, 18:26
Aloha,

Having lived with an outdoor pool for many years, and having a best friend and neighbor with an indoor pool for nearly as long, maintenance should not be taken lightly. How long are your stays? How many people will be using it? What protection do you have for the filtration system to prevent "running dry"? Outdoor pools are dramatically affected by the amount of sunlight and any public pool or shared MF pool need chemical testing two to three times daily to allow for adjustments to keep the water crystal clear. Indoor pools will not change as quickly or dramatically, but are still affected by the usage load. A week, from a health or water clarity standpoint, would be the most I would be comfortable with as an Owner or PM. I imagine there may be new processes or chemicals that help keep water quality more stable, but it is a critical point to consider.