• New to Real Estate
  • Buford, GA
Votes |
3/2 Pool Cabin in Sevierville

Priya Srinivasan
  • New to Real Estate
  • Buford, GA
Posted Jan 28 2023, 18:17

Does a 3/2 Cabin with an indoor pool with no view, 7 miles north of Sevierville will work?

I know location and views matter for Smokies. Does a pool cabin that far work with location & views?

User Stats

Votes
Brooklyn McCarty
Pro Member
  • Investor
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
Replied Jan 28 2023, 18:46
Quote from @Priya Srinivasan:

Does a 3/2 Cabin with an indoor pool with no view, 7 miles north of Sevierville will work?

I know location and views matter for Smokies. Does a pool cabin that far work with location & views?

North of Sevierville is a pretty broad statement. Depends on where exactly you are located in Sevierville. 

Typically, guests won’t want to drive more than 20-30 minutes to get to the The Parkway where main tourist attractions are located. 

However, I think an indoor pool cabin would still do fine with no view. The draw here is the indoor pool rather than a view. 

User Stats

Votes
Luke Carl#3 Short-Term & Vacation Rental Discussions Contributor
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Tennessee Florida
Votes |
  • Tennessee Florida
Replied Jan 28 2023, 18:47

Like Kodak? Would probably need an address to make an accurate assessment. Also not quite sure I understand the questions but I think you’re asking if 7 miles north of Sevierville is too far. But are you talking about Sevierville proper or “Sevierville” address which is pretty much the entire county. Question is difficult to answer. 

Rentec Direct logo
Rentec Direct
|
Sponsored
Most Customer-Friendly Landlord Software One app that does it all - with free training and US-based support.

User Stats

Votes
John Carbone
  • Gatlinburg
Votes |
  • Gatlinburg
Replied Jan 28 2023, 18:51

If it has a Dandridge, Kodak, or Seymour address I’d stay away unless it’s bought below residential appraisal and even then it’s a gamble.

User Stats

Votes
Priya Srinivasan
  • New to Real Estate
  • Buford, GA
Votes |
  • New to Real Estate
  • Buford, GA
Replied Jan 28 2023, 19:01

Property is in Eagle Feather Drive, new construction. I couldn't find much comps to compare in Airdna. I spoke to one host with a pool and he said he made $110K, with current interest rate it is 11% COC. It should alteast make 125K for a good return. Will a pool in that area make that?

User Stats

Votes
John Carbone
  • Gatlinburg
Votes |
  • Gatlinburg
Replied Jan 28 2023, 19:04

Property is in Eagle Feather Drive, new construction. I couldn't find much comps to compare in Airdna. I spoke to one host with a pool and he said he made $110K, with current interest rate it is 11% COC. It should alteast make 125K for a good return. Will a pool in that area make that?

I would run from that and fast 

User Stats

Votes
Michael Baum
Pro Member
#1 Short-Term & Vacation Rental Discussions Contributor
  • Olympia, WA
Votes |
Pro Member
#1 Short-Term & Vacation Rental Discussions Contributor
  • Olympia, WA
Replied Jan 28 2023, 19:42

Hey @Priya Srinivasan, you have a lot of people investing in that area telling you it could be a problem, so I would listen to them and look elsewhere.

I am assuming the price is what is tempting you, so you need to ask yourself why.

One anecdotal story does not mean that you will do the same or better.

User Stats

Votes
Ken Boone
  • Investor
  • Greenville, SC
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Greenville, SC
Replied Jan 28 2023, 21:11

So a pool cabin without a view is no problem whatsoever.  The location on the other hand I am not thrilled with.  I would not be interested in that spot myself, even with a pool cabin, and that is pretty much what I stick with.  Not saying it wouldn't work, but I would pass on it.

User Stats

Votes
Leslie Anne Morris
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Smoky Mountains, TN
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Smoky Mountains, TN
Replied Jan 28 2023, 22:52

What does your agent say? Make sure you have an agent who is also an investor or they’ll just be guessing. 

User Stats

Votes
  • Tennessee Florida
Votes |
  • Tennessee Florida
Replied Jan 29 2023, 02:39

I'd don't think I'd have a huge problem with that location. 

User Stats

Votes
Brooklyn McCarty
Pro Member
  • Investor
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
Replied Jan 29 2023, 03:38
Quote from @Luke Carl:

I agree with Luke. It’s about 4 miles from a Soaky Mountain, 9 miles from ranger outlets,  12 miles to Dollywood. 

I like to find 3-5 main attractions I am close to when looking. 

User Stats

Votes
John Carbone
  • Gatlinburg
Votes |
  • Gatlinburg
Replied Jan 29 2023, 06:11
Quote from @Brooklyn McCarty:
Quote from @Luke Carl:

I agree with Luke. It’s about 4 miles from a Soaky Mountain, 9 miles from ranger outlets,  12 miles to Dollywood. 

There are several things wrong with this location. First, “tanger” outlets is not an attraction. Also these are subdivision cabins surrounded by residential subdivisions. There is one road to the parkway from here and they have overbuilt both residential homes and cabins here, there is no infrastructure. The only draw I see here is being close to soaky mountain but a majority of guests will be going to Dollywood. That 12 miles you speak of takes 30 mins to get to from this place, and that’s no traffic. The only way to get from here to Dollywood goes through the most congested spots of the smokies and you are looking at 45-1 hour to get to Dollywood and most attractions in pigeon forge. And forget about marketing to gatlinburg, that will be over an hour (45 min in Jan/feb).  you will however be close to Buccees but idk if that is an attraction. 

if every year was a Covid year, I’d say this could be a buy, but to only be getting 11 percent coc needing 110k for it, there are better options. You have 0 upside, and this deal should be thrown the in trash pile. 

These subdivision cabins this far out from major attractions  will be the first to bust as demand continues to drop, and you’ll be looking at a 50 percent haircut if you need to sell to a doctor in Knoxville to live in. 

User Stats

Votes
Brooklyn McCarty
Pro Member
  • Investor
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
Replied Jan 29 2023, 06:46
Quote from @John Carbone:
Quote from @Luke Carl:

There are several things wrong with this location. First, “tanger” outlets is not an attraction. Also these are subdivision cabins surrounded by residential subdivisions. There is one road to the parkway from here and they have overbuilt both residential homes and cabins here, there is no infrastructure. The only draw I see here is being close to soaky mountain but a majority of guests will be going to Dollywood. That 12 miles you speak of takes 30 mins to get to from this place, and that’s no traffic. The only way to get from here to Dollywood goes through the most congested spots of the smokies and you are looking at 45-1 hour to get to Dollywood and most attractions in pigeon forge. And forget about marketing to gatlinburg, that will be over an hour (45 min in Jan/feb).  you will however be close to Buccees but idk if that is an attraction. 

if every year was a Covid year, I’d say this could be a buy, but to only be getting 11 percent coc needing 110k for it, there are better options. You have 0 upside, and this deal should be thrown the in trash pile. 

These subdivision cabins this far out from major attractions  will be the first to bust as demand continues to drop, and you’ll be looking at a 50 percent haircut if you need to sell to a doctor in Knoxville to live in. 

Ultimately, I’m referring to the distance of being 7 miles out. The exact location she should get on Airbnb,VRBO, google maps and see what the competition and area looks like. 

You never list things in minutes on your listings, ever. I can’t control traffic. 

Also, too things to do in Sevierville: 
#7 looks like shopping to me.
https://www.tripadvisor.com/At...
PropStream logo
PropStream
|
Sponsored
Nationwide property data Use our robust, multi-sourced data to find off-market properties and close your next deal.

User Stats

Votes
Ken Boone
  • Investor
  • Greenville, SC
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Greenville, SC
Replied Jan 29 2023, 07:01
Quote from @Luke Carl:

@John Carbone I think you nailed the problem with this location 100%.  It is not the distance specifically but rather this specific location combined with the distance.  For instance if this was in Wears Valley it would work. 

User Stats

Votes
  • Tennessee Florida
Votes |
  • Tennessee Florida
Replied Jan 29 2023, 08:53
Quote from @Ken Boone:
Quote from @Luke Carl:

@John Carbone I think you nailed the problem with this location 100%.  It is not the distance specifically but rather this specific location combined with the distance.  For instance if this was in Wears Valley it would work. 

I agree with all of you. 

User Stats

Votes
Priya Srinivasan
  • New to Real Estate
  • Buford, GA
Votes |
  • New to Real Estate
  • Buford, GA
Replied Jan 29 2023, 09:22

Thank you everyone. 

User Stats

Votes
Kyle Smith
  • New to Real Estate
Votes |
  • New to Real Estate
Replied Jan 29 2023, 18:30

Right now you have to think about recession proofing things the best you can.  #1 - Mountain Views, #2 - proximity to Gatlinburg/PF, #3 Cabin Amenities (indoor pool a big plus). You have to think about competing with a few thousand cabins and what will make yours stand out from the rest.  There are a ton of big view cabins out there.  Position yourself correctly for the bad times and you will float through the bad and do well when things are great. 

User Stats

Votes
Ken Boone
  • Investor
  • Greenville, SC
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Greenville, SC
Replied Jan 29 2023, 18:36
Quote from @Kyle Smith:

Right now you have to think about recession proofing things the best you can.  #1 - Mountain View’s, #2 - proximity to Gatlinburg/PF, #3 Cabin Amenities (indoor pool a big plus). You have to think about competing with a few thousand cabins and what will make yours stand out from the rest.  There are a ton of big view cabins out there.  Position yourself correctly for the bad times and you will float through the bad and do well when things are great. 

You are right about thinking recession proof but IMO a pool cabin with no view in proximity trumps a Mountain View all day long. 

User Stats

Votes
Kyle Smith
  • New to Real Estate
Votes |
  • New to Real Estate
Replied Jan 29 2023, 19:46
Quote from @Ken Boone:
Quote from @Kyle Smith:

Right now you have to think about recession proofing things the best you can.  #1 - Mountain View’s, #2 - proximity to Gatlinburg/PF, #3 Cabin Amenities (indoor pool a big plus). You have to think about competing with a few thousand cabins and what will make yours stand out from the rest.  There are a ton of big view cabins out there.  Position yourself correctly for the bad times and you will float through the bad and do well when things are great. 

You are right about thinking recession proof but IMO a pool cabin with no view in proximity trumps a Mountain View all day long. 

Interesting…. I’ll have to keep that little bit of info in my back pocket. :-). Good to know

User Stats

Votes
Jay Fradd
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Gatlinburg, TN
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Gatlinburg, TN
Replied Feb 4 2023, 14:19

Not to pile on regarding the location and subdivision, but lots could be bought there for about $1k to $5k over a decade ago because it all went into foreclosure. The original developer of the area was the same person who fraudulently sold lots and had cabins situated on wrong lots and other major encroachment issues in Lones Branch Resort, Douglas Lake Resort, and to a lesser extent, the subdivision you're referring to Eagle Springs.

User Stats

Votes
John Carbone
  • Gatlinburg
Votes |
  • Gatlinburg
Replied Feb 4 2023, 21:54
Quote from @Jay Fradd:

Not to pile on regarding the location and subdivision, but lots could be bought there for about $1k to $5k over a decade ago because it all went into foreclosure. The original developer of the area was the same person who fraudulently sold lots and had cabins situated on wrong lots and other major encroachment issues in Lones Branch Resort, Douglas Lake Resort, and to a lesser extent, the subdivision you're referring to Eagle Springs.

Welcome back to the forum Jay. Nice seeing local representatives on here. I can always tell it’s your listing on mls when I see the “gross rental multiplier” being mentioned.