Skip to content
Short-Term & Vacation Rental Discussions

User Stats

Votes

1 or 2 Bedroom AirBnb?

Posted Feb 12 2023, 04:24

Hello everyone! 
I would like to invest in a short term rental (Airbnb) property in Miami Beach. I’m trying to decide if I should purchase a 1 or 2 bedroom condo. Which would be more profitable?

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts and personal experience. 

User Stats

Votes
Luke Carl#3 Short-Term & Vacation Rental Discussions Contributor
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Tennessee Florida
Votes |
Luke Carl#3 Short-Term & Vacation Rental Discussions Contributor
  • Tennessee Florida
Replied Feb 12 2023, 04:37

More beds = more money. But you need to look into Miami first it is a known NoStr 

User Stats

Votes
Mike Shemp
  • Stewartsville, NJ
Votes |
  • Stewartsville, NJ
Replied Feb 12 2023, 05:02

I think the saying is something like "more heads in beds", but basically the more rooms/beds you have the potential for more revenue.

You should look up the regulations for STRs in Miami.  You may also want to look at the data on Airdna.co or what similar type condos are renting for on Airbnb and VRBO to get an idea of how much it may generate.

Mike

FlipSystem logo
FlipSystem
|
Sponsored
Learn From Our Team. Earn 100% of the Profits. Join our community of 500+ investors! Avg profit per flip: $14k, Avg effort per week: 4hrs

User Stats

Votes
John Underwood
Pro Member
#1 Short-Term & Vacation Rental Discussions Contributor
  • Investor
  • Greer, SC
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Greer, SC
Replied Feb 12 2023, 05:37

Like everyone is saying, the more bedrooms (beds) the better. 

A house is also usually better than a condo.

User Stats

Votes
Brooklyn McCarty
Pro Member
  • Investor
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
Replied Feb 12 2023, 08:39

Heads in beds equals more money. 

However if you can only afford a 1 bedroom, there’s nothing wrong with that. Little properties can perform well too. 

User Stats

Votes
Michael Baum
Pro Member
  • Olympia, WA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Olympia, WA
Replied Feb 12 2023, 13:47

Hey @Roxan Wais-Shirley. Here is some info on Miami. Lots of restrictions - https://www.miamigov.com/Plann...

You are going to do better in an area where STRs are legal.

User Stats

Votes
Emily Howlett
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Arlington, VA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Arlington, VA
Replied Feb 12 2023, 14:55

@Roxan Wais-Shirley to echo what everyone else has said, be sure to follow the state and local regulations.

Additionally, check the condo rules - some specifically state guidelines for the units (aka owner occupied, long term rentals only, etc)

User Stats

Votes
Replied Feb 12 2023, 19:59
I'd suggest to first study the market, rules and regulations in your city as well as check out Airdna to have an overall picture and decide what is best suited for you and your business. Ideally, more beds would potential have more revenue.

User Stats

Votes
Eliott Elias#3 BRRRR - Buy, Rehab, Rent, Refinance, Repeat Contributor
  • Investor
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
Eliott Elias#3 BRRRR - Buy, Rehab, Rent, Refinance, Repeat Contributor
  • Investor
  • Austin, TX
Replied Feb 12 2023, 20:28

I can't speak for your market, I stay away from one bedrooms. 

User Stats

Votes
Tyler Winget
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Indianapolis IN + Poconos, PA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Indianapolis IN + Poconos, PA
Replied Feb 13 2023, 06:27

1 and 2 bedrooms work well in different markets. 

Checkout BiggerPockets' tool with AirDNA rentalizer - https://www.biggerpockets.com/...

User Stats

Votes
Clarissa Baker
  • Property Manager
  • Miami, FL
Votes |
  • Property Manager
  • Miami, FL
Replied Feb 13 2023, 09:47

I would definitely say 2 bedroom over 1 bedroom home. Not only because you can host more people and make more money but people do tend to travel in groups when they visit, be it friend group or family group

User Stats

Votes
Replied Feb 13 2023, 10:08

Here is my take, but know I just started mid-October so I am not a pro. I have a 2 BD 1BA apartment over my workshop. While I do not have the beds for a large family or group of friends, my place had been very busy with singles and couples looking to get away by themselves, seeking options other that hotels when in town for work, small gatherings of friends that cannot afford a larger place. 

To me, I have more options and I don't have to wait on a larger group for a payday.

It is also up to how you manage. I self clean and I do not want to clean up after 8 or more folks.

Also, though, location is part of the equation. I am around wedding venues, wineries, hiking trails, mountains, etc. My place would not be a destination for families who want to pool their resources for a larger place where they can stay together.

User Stats

Votes
Sebastian Giraldo
  • REALTOR, Investor, and Rehab Expert
  • Miami Beach, FL
Votes |
  • REALTOR, Investor, and Rehab Expert
  • Miami Beach, FL
Replied May 2 2023, 07:18

My appraoch to this question is on the field research. If this is in a condo simply get on the elevator and you will stumble with a housekeeper. Ask what type of unit they clean the most? Then see what unit is most rare or less inventory of in the building. Does the building have more 1 bed rooms or 2 bedrooms. You can also ask the front desk. Who will know better than the people who see the booking action on a daily basis. 

• Real Estate Agent FL (#SL3379585)

Stratton Real Estate Logo
BiggerPockets logo
Meet Investor-Friendly Agents
|
BiggerPockets
Network with top investor-friendly agents who can help you find, analyze, and close your next deal.

User Stats

Votes
Replied May 2 2023, 12:31

to me, both can appeal to a couple, but only the 2 bed is going to also capture small families.  Obviously the price difference matters here as well.

User Stats

Votes
Replied May 2 2023, 13:35

A similar thread popped up a few weeks back, and some posters shared some interesting data that the 1 bedrooms have better COC return (IIRC that was the metric used) than 2s and 3 bedrooms. The nice thing with a 1 bedroom is you can be more competitive with both your base price and your cleaning fee. Lots of couples and single travelers end up booking 2 bedroom houses even if they only need one bedroom because they want the amenities that typically come with it. I wouldn't write them off.

User Stats

Votes
Mario I Fernandez
Pro Member
  • Miami Beach, FL
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Miami Beach, FL
Replied May 4 2023, 19:57

1 or 2 bedrooms will work since Miami Beach and Miami are very busy for STR.

Particularly I would stay out of Miami Beach since they have some restrictions and for sure they will have more in the future.

Anywhere around Miami Beach would work as well and you will have less restrictions on STRs.

User Stats

Votes
Joe Biscaha
  • Realtor
  • Miami, FL
Votes |
  • Realtor
  • Miami, FL
Replied May 5 2023, 10:18

@Roxan Wais-Shirley First, Take a look at the Miami Beach STR map. Most condos do not allow short term rentals. The condo buildings that do allow STR are mostly going to be condo-hotels (think W Hotel, Roney Palace, 1 Hotel, etc.) and these buildings do not qualify for conventional financing. Most investors who buy STR properties in Miami Beach pay cash.

User Stats

Votes
Zach Edelman
  • Lender
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
  • Lender
  • Austin, TX
Replied May 8 2023, 06:15

Would definitely consult Air DNA on this one if you have an account and see how revenue estimates, occupancy, highest performing properties, etc. compare between 1 bedroom vs 2 bedroom condo's in Miami Beach.