• Houston, Tx
Votes |
STR Ordinances in Baton Rouge: Changes and Impacts

Mitchell Petras
  • New to Real Estate
  • Houston, Tx
Posted Mar 30 2023, 20:55

Howdy Tigers,

Has anyone dealt with any headaches or unforeseen consequences from the new STR ordinances? I'm looking to get into the space but was curious how much of a deterrent the new rules are, or if they've even kicked in yet. From everything I could read, it sounds like the biggie was just to make sure Baton Rouge was getting their lodging taxes, but I know they were kicking around more extreme policies, so I wanted to check with y'all. If anyone has a good link to a government page or full breakdown about it too that would be super appreciated. Thanks!

User Stats

Votes
John Underwood
Pro Member
#1 Short-Term & Vacation Rental Discussions Contributor
  • Investor
  • Greer, SC
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Greer, SC
Replied Mar 31 2023, 04:33

If they are kicking around more potential rules, I wouldn't invest there until the dust settles and you find out how difficult it may or may not be to have a STR there.

User Stats

Votes
Brian Mackey
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Baton Rouge, LA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Baton Rouge, LA
Replied Mar 31 2023, 08:29

Hello. We have several and haven’t heard much of anything since the rules went into affect. We have transitioned many to mid term rentals. 

Reach out whenever, I’ll dig into what the rules were again and we can chat about it. My wife and I are local realtors as well, so we can get you started out here if need be. 

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Michael Baum
Pro Member
  • Olympia, WA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Olympia, WA
Replied Mar 31 2023, 17:44

Hey @Mitchell Petras, here is an article on the subject - https://www.theadvocate.com/ba...

There is nothing on the city website, so I would get on the horn and find out. It sounds settled, but the rules are nowhere to be found.