Skip to content
Short-Term & Vacation Rental Discussions

User Stats

Votes
Trevor Knorpp
Votes |
Mother in Rehab, Aunt trying to kick me out and AirBNB without Mother's permission

Trevor Knorpp
Posted May 13 2023, 12:27

My mom got a DUI 2 weeks ago. To put it short, she could have to pay over 200,000$ in bills including rehab.

Originally the story was that she was going to be in rehab for 6 months.

Apparently, she will now only be held there for 34 days with the possibility of some more time in a halfway house.

I am a 19 year old computer engineering student with about 8k saved (most going to fall tuition).

My aunt (who by the way is attempting to retire with 90 million dollars) is telling me that I am going to have to take out loans and find an apartment before June 1st.

This house is run down and would need a lot of work to be presentable. 1 bedroom 2 bath, cheapest house in wealthy neighborhood with excellent location.

She has no idea how to setup an AirBNB and has very little real estate experience. No contractor connections, no cleaning connection, surface level knowledge.

On top of all of that, I don't even know if they have run this idea by my mother at all yet.

We have had very minimal contact with my mother because of the rehab's rules for the first week there.

I know these undeclared variables make it difficult, but I have a few questions.

Under the situation that my mom gives them permission to attempt this, the numbers don't add up if I am seeing them correctly.
At least a couple thousand into making this house presentable. MAXIMUM 4 months of availability, (could be only 34 days from today). Is anyone else decoding this situation as I am?

Under the situation that she doesn't give them permission, they can't do anything correct? (dumb question for my nerves)

Do I have any living rights to where they can't kick me out?

Is there anything I can legally do to delay this as much as I can? Ex: Make the whole house smell, legal things, anything at all.

My aunt is being very predatory and disrespectful, and the reason I am so against this is because housing costs will stop me from being able to save enough money to get my first house hack.

Loading replies...