Skip to content
Short-Term & Vacation Rental Discussions

User Stats

Votes
KiKi Wood
  • Indianapolis, IN
Votes |
How are you setting yourself apart on Airbnb?

KiKi Wood
  • Indianapolis, IN
Posted May 25 2023, 19:24

Hi all!

My fiancé and I run an Airbnb property management business in Indianapolis, and manage 23 properties! We do design/setup for most of our properties, but I wanted to know what you're doing to set your STR apart without breaking the bank? Amenities, design styles/options, etc. I love to learn how to make our STRs better!

User Stats

Votes
John Underwood
Pro Member
#1 Short-Term & Vacation Rental Discussions Contributor
  • Investor
  • Greer, SC
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Greer, SC
Replied May 25 2023, 20:16

First by being on Vrbo where most of my bookings come from.

Then top notch property in a fantastic location with great views.

Followed up by a clean house that gets rave reviews as the cleanest vacation rental they have ever stayed out.

Then fantastic customer service above what they are used to.

User Stats

Votes
Michael Baum
Pro Member
  • Olympia, WA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Olympia, WA
Replied May 25 2023, 21:59

+1 with @John Underwood. Having a great place for families to stay and have a good time on the lake as been our mantra. Clean as a whistle with a ton of stuff. A fully stocked kitchen, a great grill, plenty of games to play when it rains etc.

All 5 star reviews tell the tale.

Not every STR needs to have gimmicky things to stand out.

Rent To Retirement logo
Rent To Retirement
|
Sponsored
Turnkey Rentals 12+ States. SFR, MF & New Builds, High ROI! 5% down loan options. Access the BEST deals in the US in one place. Txt REI to 33777

User Stats

Votes
Leslie Anne Morris
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Smoky Mountains, TN
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Smoky Mountains, TN
Replied May 25 2023, 22:19

I’ve been doing themes. I have a whiskey themed cabin and just remodeled a house in Pigeon Forge to be Dolly Parton themed. It definitely stands out. 

User Stats

Votes
KiKi Wood
  • Indianapolis, IN
Votes |
  • Indianapolis, IN
Replied May 26 2023, 11:39
Quote from @Leslie Anne Morris:

I’ve been doing themes. I have a whiskey themed cabin and just remodeled a house in Pigeon Forge to be Dolly Parton themed. It definitely stands out. 

I love this idea!!! We have done color themes, and Indy 500 themes, but never really anything else. 

User Stats

Votes
KiKi Wood
  • Indianapolis, IN
Votes |
  • Indianapolis, IN
Replied May 26 2023, 11:41
Quote from @Michael Baum:

+1 with @John Underwood. Having a great place for families to stay and have a good time on the lake as been our mantra. Clean as a whistle with a ton of stuff. A fully stocked kitchen, a great grill, plenty of games to play when it rains etc.

All 5 star reviews tell the tale.

Not every STR needs to have gimmicky things to stand out.

Thanks, Michael! We definitely try to stock up on the necessities, but I will make sure to get the extras!

User Stats

Votes
KiKi Wood
  • Indianapolis, IN
Votes |
  • Indianapolis, IN
Replied May 26 2023, 11:41
Quote from @John Underwood:

First by being on Vrbo where most of my bookings come from.

Then top notch property in a fantastic location with great views.

Followed up by a clean house that gets rave reviews as the cleanest vacation rental they have ever stayed out.

Then fantastic customer service above what they are used to.

Thanks, John! Great advice. 

User Stats

Votes
Randy Dubiskas
  • Investor
  • Borger, TX
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Borger, TX
Replied May 26 2023, 15:10

We have an 8-inch reflector telescope that has intrigued visitors.

User Stats

Votes
Brooklyn McCarty
Pro Member
  • Investor
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
Replied May 26 2023, 18:28

Good communication and a clean property will get you really far! 

In addition to that, see what your neighbors are doing. Could you add a hot tub? Coffee bar? Really cool outdoor space?  

User Stats

Votes
Mark Jones
Pro Member
  • Property Manager
  • Indianapolis, IN
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Property Manager
  • Indianapolis, IN
Replied May 30 2023, 13:53

Themed decor will help them remember your property when they are viewing a bunch on Air BNB.  Also, anything that is unique about the property.  Is it an old farm house or have something unique with the architecture?  anything that will help prospective tenants remember it over the other homes in the search will help.  

PMI Midwest Logo

User Stats

Votes
Replied Jul 13 2023, 16:44

If the guest is in town for a special occasion you can provide a decoration service. For example: A couple comes into town to celebrate their anniversary, you can provide them with a little romance package. Decorate the place into a romantic getaway. 

Provide an Instacart service , transportation from airport, etc..

User Stats

Votes
Olivia Feller
  • Interior Decorator
  • Northern Indiana
Votes |
  • Interior Decorator
  • Northern Indiana
Replied Aug 31 2023, 13:33

Loving these ideas! Especially focusing on unique design. We like to design a space with it's own flavor, then set it apart with a mural for guests to take pictures. Something to set it apart, capture guest's attention as they scroll airbnb, and generate some excitement later if they post pictures for their friends :) My sister & I offer mural design/painting along with a few other services I think you may find helpful! Would love to connect if you're interested in learning more. We're located in northern Indiana!

User Stats

Votes
Pete Appezzato
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Destin, FL
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Destin, FL
Replied Sep 1 2023, 05:38

Great cleaning, top notch communication, great location, awesome design designed and a well thought out property with the amenities and comforts that guests may or may not expect.  

NREIG  logo
NREIG
|
Sponsored
Customizable insurance coverage with a program that’s easy to use Add, edit, and remove properties from your account any time with no minimum-earned premiums.

User Stats

Votes
Terri-Leigh H.
  • Interior Decorator
  • Denver
Votes |
  • Interior Decorator
  • Denver
Replied Sep 13 2023, 14:39
We design and install for the Colorado market and our biggest boost factors are co-hesive vibe and them specifically targeting the Ideal Guest and then AMENITIES, AMENITIES, AMENITIES! Biggest ROI for sure.

Every item we spec has been highly tested and rated, so all stays with us are comfortable and meet a high standard! 

User Stats

Votes
Replied Sep 13 2023, 15:52

You can use a catchy title like "Hot Tub Haven" or "Relaxing Retreat" to stand out.  Some people like to do themes that coordinate with nearby attractions.  You can change them to highlight current events. One of our clients did a Taylor Swift Evermore theme as one of her concerts was taking place nearby. They included materials to make friendship bracelets in the rental as well.