Votes
Ryan F.
  • Spencerport, NY
Votes |
Anyone else in Pinellas County, Fl?

Ryan F.
  • Spencerport, NY
Posted May 26 2023, 09:23

Curious how the STR in Pinellas are doing? Looking to possibly add a condo near the water in St Pete. Seems most have 30 day minimums though.

EDIT: Found a topic from a few months ago that answers my question, but if any realtors in the area have insight into 500k or less properties that are STR viable, please send me a message.

User Stats

Votes
Ryan F.
  • Spencerport, NY
Votes |
  • Spencerport, NY
Replied May 26 2023, 09:27
Quote from @Ryan F.:

Curious how the STR in Pinellas are doing? Looking to possibly add a condo near the water in St Pete. Seems most have 30 day minimums though.

I found this topic after posting - Sorry for the duplicate. https://www.biggerpockets.com/...

User Stats

Votes
Sarah Kensinger
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Ohio
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Ohio
Replied May 26 2023, 09:32
Quote from @Ryan F.:
Quote from @Ryan F.:

I found this topic after posting - Sorry for the duplicate. https://www.biggerpockets.com/...
No apologies necessary! Not everyone has a couple hours to pour over the forums trying to find relevant info for their question. Plus, things change so quick in the STR markets that it can help to find out what is happening right now. 
BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Andrew Steffens
Pro Member
#4 Short-Term & Vacation Rental Discussions Contributor
  • Tampa, FL
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Tampa, FL
Replied May 26 2023, 09:50

Hey Ryan! A new client of mine just got a 4/2 pool house in Pinellas Park that needs about $30k in cosmetics for $385k and income projections between 70-80k. STR's in Pinellas have declined in 2023 from 2020-2022 due to the COVID boom the area experienced. The market here is still strong and there are still great opportunities. I own a PM company with 80+ units as well as am a licensed broker working exclusively with STR investors. Let me know if I can be of any assistance!

User Stats

Votes
Nick Velez
  • Lender
  • Florida
Votes |
  • Lender
  • Florida
Replied May 26 2023, 12:39

@Ryan F.

I would highly recommend @Josh Green. He has assisted a plethora of my clients in Pinellas county.

User Stats

Votes
Ryan F.
  • Spencerport, NY
Votes |
  • Spencerport, NY
Replied May 26 2023, 13:40
Quote from @Andrew Steffens:

Hey Ryan! A new client of mine just got a 4/2 pool house in Pinellas Park that needs about $30k in cosmetics for $385k and income projections between 70-80k. STR's in Pinellas have declined in 2023 from 2020-2022 due to the COVID boom the area experienced. The market here is still strong and there are still great opportunities. I own a PM company with 80+ units as well as am a licensed broker working exclusively with STR investors. Let me know if I can be of any assistance!

Hi Andrew. I always though of the park area as a bit rundown. Is it making a resurgence? Or maybe I was wrong about that area.

Id love to chat if you have any STR properties that fit my requirements.

User Stats

Votes
Andrew Steffens
Pro Member
  • Tampa, FL
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Tampa, FL
Replied May 26 2023, 17:24

@Ryan F.

It’s improving! It provides good value for the guest for a pool home at $300 a night ADR and it provides good value for the owner with lower purchase price lower taxes and insurance. Also good appreciation play as the area continues to approve.

User Stats

Votes
Jason Wray
Pro Member
#3 Private Lending & Conventional Mortgage Advice Contributor
  • Banker
  • Nationwide
Votes |
Pro Member
#3 Private Lending & Conventional Mortgage Advice Contributor
  • Banker
  • Nationwide
Replied May 26 2023, 17:27

@Ryan F.

Ryan,  I am here in Pinellas County, FL and I am very familiar with this market.  Send me an email would love to chat.

User Stats

Votes
Replied May 26 2023, 19:17

Can anyone comment on what wind coverage is costing new purchases as of late, maybe not beachfront but 1-3ish miles inland? The agent at Proper told me that policies in the Stuart area for a 2-3 bedroom were pushing $800-1200/month. 

User Stats

Votes
Michael Baum
Pro Member
#2 Short-Term & Vacation Rental Discussions Contributor
  • Olympia, WA
Votes |
Pro Member
#2 Short-Term & Vacation Rental Discussions Contributor
  • Olympia, WA
Replied May 26 2023, 19:54

Others on the forum have been getting quotes from Kin as well as Proper. Crazy times for insurance down there.

Another knowledgeable person posted that rates were on track for reduction after July. Must be time passed since the last major hurricane.

User Stats

Votes
Blake Novotney
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Wilmington, NC
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Wilmington, NC
Replied May 27 2023, 09:03

I wouldn't discount the idea of MTR or even student housing if you can find it close to USF downtown. It really will open up your options due to the restrictions there. I used to live there and it's incredible!

User Stats

Votes
Ryan F.
  • Spencerport, NY
Votes |
  • Spencerport, NY
Replied May 27 2023, 21:25
Quote from @Blake Novotney:

I wouldn't discount the idea of MTR or even student housing if you can find it close to USF downtown. It really will open up your options due to the restrictions there. I used to live there and it's incredible!

I don’t know how anyone LTR or MTR around here, unless they’re buying properties in cash. 500k sales price and 2.5k in monthly rent … can’t get anywhere near 1% rule.

Seems STR is the viable option here?

User Stats

Votes
Blake Novotney
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Wilmington, NC
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Wilmington, NC
Replied May 28 2023, 06:36
Quote from @Ryan F.:
Quote from @Blake Novotney:

I don’t know how anyone LTR or MTR around here, unless they’re buying properties in cash. 500k sales price and 2.5k in monthly rent … can’t get anywhere near 1% rule.

Seems STR is the viable option here?

I saw a couple good ones ~10 minutes or less from downtown in the $300's last week, NE St Pete is great. I'd try to connect with some local wholesalers too that way you could find something that needs work and have equity also.