• Port Saint Lucie, FL
Votes |
Airbnb: To get a Pool or not in Florida

Scott Goulet
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Port Saint Lucie, FL
Posted May 26 2023, 11:00

Hi all, quick question. 

I am in the Port Saint Lucie, Fl market and i have an airbnb that is doing quite well from an income perspective. 

However going into the summer my bookings have slowed down, i do not currently have a pool. 

Is getting a $500 above ground pool worth it? 

Anyone have any advise when it comes to liability/insurance if i have a pool at my airbnb? 

Thank you very much for your input! 

User Stats

Votes
Andrew Steffens
Pro Member
#3 Short-Term & Vacation Rental Discussions Contributor
  • Tampa, FL
Votes |
Pro Member
#3 Short-Term & Vacation Rental Discussions Contributor
  • Tampa, FL
Replied May 26 2023, 12:37

Hey Scott

We are primarily in the Tampa market and notice our larger homes that are non pool suffer as well.  I do not have experience with above ground but I believe that would be fine if done tastefully.  I would encourage a deck as well.  You would  then alert your insurance to it and it will go up but you would be covered.  I hope that helps.

User Stats

Votes
John Underwood
Pro Member
#1 Short-Term & Vacation Rental Discussions Contributor
  • Investor
  • Greer, SC
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Greer, SC
Replied May 26 2023, 13:52

Get a small inground fiberglass pool.

No above ground pool unless you have a mobile home.

PropStream logo
PropStream
|
Sponsored
Nationwide property data Use our robust, multi-sourced data to find off-market properties and close your next deal.

User Stats

Votes
Lucie Tighe
Pro Member
  • Property Manager
  • Tampa, FL
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Property Manager
  • Tampa, FL
Replied May 26 2023, 13:55

@Scott Goulet I agree with Andrew. Properties with no pool definitely suffer through the hot summer months. It is a great amenity to have. If pool in ground is not an option or not in your budget, a quality above ground one could be a good route to go.

I would definitely make sure you have an appropriate coverage. If you need an insurance agent who can look into it for you and provide you with some quotes, reach out. 

We go above and beyond when it comes to protection.. starting with insurance coverage, sings in the listing and in the property that there is no guard on duty (as silly as that sounds), putting extra locking device high enough so youngsters can't reach, an alarm/beep system to alert them that door opens for those with small children (or elderly) so they cannot wander out in the backyard with no one noticing and risk drowning. I would look into any regulations that might require you to have a fence around the pool as well :)

Hope that helps.

User Stats

Votes
Sarah Kensinger
Pro Member
#4 Short-Term & Vacation Rental Discussions Contributor
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Ohio
Votes |
Pro Member
#4 Short-Term & Vacation Rental Discussions Contributor
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Ohio
Replied May 26 2023, 17:17

I would definitely invest in the inground pool over the above ground option.

User Stats

Votes
Michael Baum
Pro Member
  • Olympia, WA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Olympia, WA
Replied May 26 2023, 19:59

I agree with @John Underwood and @Sarah Kensinger. If you can do it, in ground all the way.

Nothing screams cheap like an above ground pool. Even a good one that costs thousands with the surrounding deck.

My 2 cents.

User Stats

Votes
Jill F.
  • Investor
  • Akron, OH
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Akron, OH
Replied May 26 2023, 20:13

Our season is too short to justify a pool but if I owned property in the south I look into these partial inground pools: https://www.poolandspadepot.co...

User Stats

Votes
Replied May 29 2023, 04:32

Is the AirBnB market rental market slowing down in general in your area?  There are reports that this is happening.   The slowdown may not be due to the lack of a pool.

User Stats

Votes
Replied May 29 2023, 11:14

Do an enemy analysis. Check "flexible" dates for a house with a pool to weed out the condos with shared pools. This should bring up all of the homes in your area with pools. Exclude any units that are out of your league and focus on similar comps. 

What are they charging per night? How full is their calendar? Should give you an idea as to whether it's worth it or not. 

User Stats

Votes
Ray Hage
  • Investor
  • Fort Lauderdale, FL
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Fort Lauderdale, FL
Replied May 30 2023, 03:20

Generally speaking, you're really going to want to have an inviting in ground pool. It will be expensive to build. I would avoid an above ground pool. 

There are some exceptions to having a pool like if the house is a block from the beach or it's in a downtown area. 

User Stats

Votes
Scott Goulet
  • Port Saint Lucie, FL
Votes |
  • Port Saint Lucie, FL
Replied Jun 3 2023, 09:53
Quote from @Mark Fein:

Is the AirBnB market rental market slowing down in general in your area?  There are reports that this is happening.   The slowdown may not be due to the lack of a pool.

Mark, yes as soon as April came, i noticed a 20-25% drop in bookings. We have had to reduce nightly rates 30% just to get bookings in my area which is Port Saint Lucie, Fl. 

User Stats

Votes
Scott Goulet
  • Port Saint Lucie, FL
Votes |
  • Port Saint Lucie, FL
Replied Jun 3 2023, 09:55
Quote from @Jon Martin:

Do an enemy analysis. Check "flexible" dates for a house with a pool to weed out the condos with shared pools. This should bring up all of the homes in your area with pools. Exclude any units that are out of your league and focus on similar comps. 

What are they charging per night? How full is their calendar? Should give you an idea as to whether it's worth it or not. 

Jon, I have done this and honestly their nightly rates in most cases are within $20 per night of my place which doesnt have a pool. Maybe I could convert my garage to a movie theater or something? Though, that would probably be a similar cost to the above ground pool. 

User Stats

Votes
Replied Jun 3 2023, 10:07

@Scott Goulet if that's the case and there is no significant difference in occupancy, then my gut tells me that it is not a major factor that guests consider and are willing to pay a premium for. Or, there are so pools already that it is no longer a unique differentiator. 

I would do a game room over a movie theatre. I think most people are content with a decent tv in a comfy living room. 

FlipSystem logo
FlipSystem
|
Sponsored
Learn From Our Team. Earn 100% of the Profits. Join our community of 500+ investors! Avg profit per flip: $14k, Avg effort per week: 4hrs

User Stats

Votes
Jonathan Cronkite
Pro Member
  • Melbourne, FL
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Melbourne, FL
Replied Jun 15 2023, 18:56

Ok...I was searching here b/c I have the same question.  We are in FL and I know if we had a pool, it would a deal changer.  As cheap as a $400 pool may seem, I would think a cheap pool is better than no pool.  There isn't a 10 year old that cares about that...and parents would be happy that they are happy.   ON THE OTHER SIDE, the liability and cost of fencing it in, as I would need to do, is a huge factor...  My wife thinks we should invest in a swim spa, but they are $25k.  

User Stats

Votes
Joseph Lalia
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Palm Beach
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Palm Beach
Replied Jun 22 2023, 12:55

Airbnb without a pool or waterfront prop is going to struggle anywhere in Florida

User Stats

Votes
January Johnson
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Emerald Coast, FL
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Emerald Coast, FL
Replied Jul 17 2023, 09:28

At the risk of taking flak here, I'm going to say I've seen a lot of super cute stock tank pools that are low-cost options.  You can build a deck around them as well - or not.  Some Instagrammable indoor-outdoor carpet, chairs, and umbrellas, and you can take it up a notch for less money.  

User Stats

Votes
Michael Baum
Pro Member
  • Olympia, WA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Olympia, WA
Replied Jul 17 2023, 19:09

This ain't bad lookin'!

User Stats

Votes
Colton Johnson
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Wauwatosa, WI
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Wauwatosa, WI
Replied Jul 17 2023, 19:21

Hi Scott, 

I would go with the Inground pool with a finished area around it. It would make a great area for hosting, and I think it would add a significant value to the Airbnb clients.

User Stats

Votes
Pete Appezzato
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Destin, FL
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Destin, FL
Replied Sep 6 2023, 12:23

In beach markets, in ground pools tend to increase revenue 20% or so.  Not sure about an above ground pool however.   If it's just slapped in the backyard, i'd imagine it may not make a big difference but if you create an environment around it, it could be different.