Skip to content
Short-Term & Vacation Rental Discussions

User Stats

Votes
Christopher Lynch
  • Providence, RI
Votes |
How much cashflow do you make with your STR?

Christopher Lynch
  • Providence, RI
Posted May 26 2023, 16:04

Hi All, I have been doing due diligence on buying a short term rental in NH. Most information I have come across show they make more cashflow on average then the LTR model. 

I would love to hear from some current STR investors and hear about your personal experience. How much cashflow do you make on your STR and what should I expect?

User Stats

Votes
Mohammed Bala
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Queens NY
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Queens NY
Replied May 26 2023, 18:34

STR Cash flow has relatively decreased as compared to 2 to 3 yrs ago. Honestly I'm new to it but so far is not proving to beat my other LTRs cash flow.

User Stats

Votes
Brooklyn McCarty
Pro Member
  • Investor
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
Replied May 26 2023, 18:37

Cash flow is going to depend on so many factors! The biggest is management. 

BiggerPockets logo
Find, Vet and Invest in Syndications
|
BiggerPockets
PassivePockets will help you find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
Collin H.
Pro Member
#4 Short-Term & Vacation Rental Discussions Contributor
  • Property Manager
  • Gatlinburg, TN
Votes |
Pro Member
#4 Short-Term & Vacation Rental Discussions Contributor
  • Property Manager
  • Gatlinburg, TN
Replied May 26 2023, 18:38
Quote from @Mohammed Bala:

STR Cash flow has relatively decreased as compared to 2 to 3 yrs ago. Honestly I'm new to it but so far is not proving to beat my other LTRs cash flow.

All depends on how much debt you’re paying for.  

User Stats

Votes
Michael Baum
Pro Member
#1 Short-Term & Vacation Rental Discussions Contributor
  • Olympia, WA
Votes |
Pro Member
#1 Short-Term & Vacation Rental Discussions Contributor
  • Olympia, WA
Replied May 26 2023, 20:00

We bought in 2017 when the market wasn't on fire and we do above 20%. That is not the norm now.

User Stats

Votes
Leslie Anne Morris
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Smoky Mountains, TN
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Smoky Mountains, TN
Replied May 26 2023, 20:30

Each deal is different. Do some underwriting! I have a video on YouTube with how to underwrite the metrics.

User Stats

Votes
Scott K.
Votes |

30%+ but we do better than 95% out there. 

User Stats

Votes
Andrew Steffens
Pro Member
#3 Short-Term & Vacation Rental Discussions Contributor
  • Tampa, FL
Votes |
Pro Member
#3 Short-Term & Vacation Rental Discussions Contributor
  • Tampa, FL
Replied May 27 2023, 08:24

There are so many variables out there, I have some houses valued at $400k that I bought for $100k + $50k rehab 6 years ago that cashflow $2,000 a month.  I have some that do worse, and some that do better.  In many markets it is hard to pay retail and turn a profit, however it is still possible in some markets in FL

User Stats

Votes
Replied May 27 2023, 17:57

These answers won’t tell you much of anything about your situation. Those that timed the market well before the maturation of STRs when interest was cheap will have vastly different financials that one buying today. 

Broadly speaking, anyone that says it’s passive income, or that touts replacing their W2 income in a short time span is either lying, or in the top top of their class. Real estate has always been a get rich slow technique for most. I don’t necessarily think STRs are a shortcut, despite being a fan of them.

We bought in late 2022 (we weren’t naive to the market dynamics/timing, we simply finally had the down payment at that time and it serves as our vacation home as well).

We put 10% down and probably cash flow $500/mo, but hard to fully say as we are just now entering busy season. Even at that, we are outperforming our peers in the market by a solid 20 pts on occupancy

User Stats

Votes
Jason Nguyen
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Fairfax, VA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Fairfax, VA
Replied May 27 2023, 20:35

It depends on a lot of factor such as how much you are paying for mortgage, management, etc. But technically speaking, you will need to gross 15% of the property's value to make good cash flow. For example, a $500,000 home will need to bring in at least $75,000 in rental income per year. You can check all this stuff on AirDna and analyze how the competitors are doing nearby. 

User Stats

Votes
Pablo Flores
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Palm Springs, CA
Votes |
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Palm Springs, CA
Replied May 30 2023, 20:18

@Christopher Lynch

Man numbers are all over the board. I have properties cash flowing anywhere from 20k-150k per year. The ones on the lower end of the spectrum I bought years ago and cash flow has lowered a decent amount since 2020. The ones on the higher end I spent a significant amount of upfront money to create a a high end vacation rental. In this market, if you want to make make big money you have to be willing to spend big.

User Stats

Votes
Zach Edelman
  • Lender
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
  • Lender
  • Austin, TX
Replied May 30 2023, 21:19

Depends on a bunch of factors. What I'd recommend is using a service such as Revedy to underwrite and figure out rough cashflow numbers for specific markets/addresses.