User Stats

Votes
Blake Taylor
Votes |
Vacation Rental Licenses

Blake Taylor
Posted Apr 7 2024, 11:44

Hi Everyone,

I am taking over a lease to do some rental arbitrage. The landlord was using the place as an STR before, and indicated that they got the vacation rental license. I was just wondering if anyone knew if I needed to get that transferred to my name/business, or can I just have them renew the registration every year? Can't seem to find anything on the Ft Lauderdale city sites on this, so I may have to call but wondered if anyone had a suggestion.

User Stats

Votes
Andrew Steffens
Pro Member
#3 Short-Term & Vacation Rental Discussions Contributor
  • Tampa, FL
Votes |
Pro Member
#3 Short-Term & Vacation Rental Discussions Contributor
  • Tampa, FL
Replied Apr 8 2024, 09:16

I am not sure as I have not done business in Fort Lauderdale but I assume he talking about licensing with the state DBPR - division of hotels and restaurants.  Hope that helps!

User Stats

Votes
Heidi Braunhardt
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Fort Lauderdale, FL
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Fort Lauderdale, FL
Replied Apr 8 2024, 15:05

Hi Blake! You will need to go through your own application/licensing process from step one. The city will not allow licenses to be transferred. Hope this helps and good luck! 

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Jeremy Jareckyj
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Salt Lake City, UT
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Salt Lake City, UT
Replied Apr 9 2024, 07:01

I know most cities don't allow for the transfer of license. Usually the only transfer of license that could happen is upon sale. Depends on your local municipality

User Stats

Votes
Alex F.
  • Investor
  • Plymouth, MN
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Plymouth, MN
Replied Apr 9 2024, 08:22

Florida is very straightforward.  Register here - https://www.myfloridalicense.com/intentions2.asp?chBoard=tru...

But also check with your county and city.  Some counties OR cities now have additional registration requirements.  

User Stats

Votes
Blake Taylor
Votes |
Replied Apr 9 2024, 17:32

Thanks everyone! Makes sense - I was pretty well-versed in the regs but when the property manager mentioned they already had the vacation rental license for Broward, my ears perked up. I was definitely hoping for a short cut, but it is what it is!